partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 02:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  paying your coach to social dance?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: paying your coach to social dance?  (Read 2406 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: January 14, 2012, 05:57:12 AM »

How common is this?  My current coach is a member of a large social club and his students often pay him to dance with them there in the evening.  The rate is pretty close to a lesson but the emphasis is on dancing not on learning (though there is a lot of learning going on, its putting the lesson to the test).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »

Seems like one of the best ways to learn! 

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

Seems like one of the best ways to learn! 

Also seems rather close to 'paid consorts' doesn't it?  Least I thought so before my coach gave me a free evening last night to try it out.  And then I learned that you are quite right. 

Sometimes my brain is my worst enemy Tongue

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »

well when you think of it as a different lesson delivery, it becomes much less "red-light district" Wink  And it sounds like you had fun, which makes it seem well worth it!

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »

well when you think of it as a different lesson delivery, it becomes much less "red-light district" Wink  And it sounds like you had fun, which makes it seem well worth it!
Yup, the only one not on board is my prude-self!  Funny, I thought I didn't even have a P-S!  The neat thing about this lesson form is that the focus is on keeping dancing and not fixing errors.  Actually, maybe I should give up the OTHER lessons first Undecided 

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

there ya go!

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »

Have to go with Alice on this one: social dancing is definitely a different delivery of dance training.  There are some teachers here who do that, even some pros here do it for free (they're all Italian, funnily enough), and I think it really helps both the teacher and the student.  That's my personal opinion.    

In my experience, the teacher learns more of what the student needs in order to just dance, and the student learns whether what they have been learning is helping.  There are some folks from the college ballroom clubs I volunteer at that I dance with at the socials, and they tell me, "ok, I think I need more quickstep/cha cha/etc.".  Some times I dance with them and realize that I need to stress on some aspect more than another, take it down a notch, up the ante, etc.  In a lesson, it can be done too, but a social is as close as you can get to a competition, and we all know that under that "do or die" situation all errors are brought into sharp focus and provides a very clear image of where the student is.  It also provides an invaluable image as to what the student's perception of each dance is.  Some times just knowing what the perception is and changing that perception makes all the difference and improvement.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:52:57 AM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »

If we only had unlimited funds!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »

There are many places both in the US and Asia where they do this. It does give the teacher an insight to what the student is able to do on the go and what needs some more work.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
samina
Silver

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »

i certainly did it more than once, and found value in it. it's a way of just *dancing*, of getting into the flow of it, naturally. and certainly the instructor can learn more about your strengths & limitations this way and, if they are good, understand better how they might help in lessons...
samina
Silver

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »

one affordable option works nicely:

have more than one student/dancer engage the pro for his/her services for that event. the pro can then break up the evening in whichever way makes sense (1/2 hour a-piece strung through the event, or first half/last half).

the pro is paid for the full event, but the dancers each pay less for his/her services during the event.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »

have more than one student/dancer engage the pro for his/her services for that event. the pro can then break up the evening in whichever way makes sense (1/2 hour a-piece strung through the event, or first half/last half).

the pro is paid for the full event, but the dancers each pay less for his/her services during the event.

And then there's the pro that charges all the students for the evening and splits his time anyway. Sad Tongue

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »

And then there's the pro that charges all the students for the evening and splits his time anyway. Sad Tongue

I sincerely hope that kind of stunt would only work once.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »

I sincerely hope that kind of stunt would only work once.

Ah, but to that add the 'gift of the gab' and he can do it over and over...

[and did I see a white rabbit disappear into your profile photo??]

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »

Ah, but to that add the 'gift of the gab' and he can do it over and over...

[and did I see a white rabbit disappear into your profile photo??]

only if you looked really quickly  Wink
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:42:40 AM by elisedance » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: