partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:10:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  partnerdance nirvana
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: partnerdance nirvana  (Read 4945 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 02:21:16 AM »

perhaps someone should approach Pino about cloning himself?   Wink
I'll take one - during the cloning could they add a few growth hormones? Roll Eyes

Go for Lucca Barrichi, he is taller and a very emotional dancer.  He will be coming to
Montreal in the spring to do a workshop.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 04:46:22 AM »

a distinct lack of scientific responses;

so i will ask some searching questions:

does it only happen with people for whom you feel some kind of attraction?

Can it be taught?

Or is it something that just happens if you're lucky? Or can one go someway toward recreating the paramters that allow it to happen
("NOT THE THIRD SWITCH!")

I wish I hadnt used the word snuggling; snuggling is easily enough acheived but the quality of dance that resulted is not..

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 05:35:43 AM »

ahh!  now I understand the connection with competition!
thats certainly a big part, or rather the biggest part - competition can make you learn and refine to the point of perfection.  though for some it does exactly the opposite.  There's not much nirvanah in learning your routines separately and then dancing them together.  More like druge.  You have to learn the 'energy' schools as DSF classifies it - BoS to get a chance at the big N.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »

Can it be taught?

Or is it something that just happens if you're lucky? Or can one go someway toward recreating the paramters that allow it to happen

I wish I hadnt used the word snuggling; snuggling is easily enough acheived but the quality of dance that resulted is not..

You don't need to be attracted to the person. One of the leaders I have experienced this with was almost twice my age and 3 times my width. But he was very light to dance with.

Don't know if this can be taught. I can't pinpoint exactly how this happens. I think I try to sort of relax into the music, into whatever emotions it might evoke and just let it move me.

A bit hard to explain. Sometimes when it's windy, I'll put my hand out and try to feel the wind all around my fingers. Sometimes I'll do this while driving as well. I'll try to gently pinch the wind, trying to catch it, which is obviously impossible. But it's a fun sensation, being able to feel something powerful but so light that you can't grab it. I get the same feeling during 'nirvana' dances. I feel that all the sensations around me like music (sound waves), the touch of my partner, the feel of air on my skin are a wind that I can feel with every cell of my body. I just let it carry me through the dance as if I was a feather. I must sound crazy  Roll Eyes  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:51:01 AM by Spiral » Logged

To thy self dance true --elisedance
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »

Can it be taught?

You don't need to be attracted to the person. One of the leaders I have experienced this with was almost twice my age and 3 times my width. But he was very light to dance with.

Don't know if this can be taught. I can't pinpoint exactly how this happens. I think I try to sort of relax into the music, into whatever emotions it might evoke and just let it move me.

A bit hard to explain. Sometimes when it's windy, I'll put my hand out and try to feel the wind all around my fingers. Sometimes I'll do this while driving as well. I'll try to gently pinch the wind, trying to catch it, which is obviously impossible. But it's a fun sensation, being able to feel something powerful but so light that you can't grab it. I get the same feeling during 'nirvana' dances. I feel that all the sensations around me like music (sound waves), the touch of my partner, the feel of air on my skin are a wind that I can feel with every cell of my body. I just let it carry me through the dance as if I was a feather. I must sound crazy  Roll Eyes  Smiley

so you have to be crazy to get it..well there's hope for me yet?

are you leader or follower, as it strikes me its more to do with the follower than the leader...

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »

Can it be taught?

so you have to be crazy to get it..well there's hope for me yet?

are you leader or follower, as it strikes me its more to do with the follower than the leader...

follower

To thy self dance true --elisedance
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

[/quote]

I've heard my coach (a lead) say that he can feel it when a follow allows herself to relax and be led and then they just fly.  Perhaps that is the lead equivalent?  Seems like something that would build from both sides.  i.e.  the more the follow relaxes, the more the lead can do with her body (don't go there Elise!), which would allow the follow to feel more comfortable and relaxed, ...etc.

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »

(don't go there Elise!)
Grin  You're a fast learner Alice!  I always suspected that... wonder why.   Cool
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »

Beautifully put, and definitely not crazy. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »

i.e.  the more the follow relaxes, the more the lead can do
Perfectly put.
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »

(don't go there Elise!)
Grin  You're a fast learner Alice!  I always suspected that... wonder why.   Cool
haha  doing my best SG!

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

I need to become a Svengali of the tango floor

"listen to my voice..relax.....relax... relax.."

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:15 PM »

...the more the lead can do with her body (don't go there Elise!)...

[/quote]

aw, shucks...  I thought this was more BoS training.. (talk about addiction Shocked )

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »

...the more the lead can do with her body (don't go there Elise!)...

aw, shucks...  I thought this was more BoS training.. (talk about addiction Shocked )
[/quote]

Bos? what is that?

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 06:30:03 AM »

It strikes me that partner dancing, in it's original form, would have had that "snuggle moment" as it's primary object.  It was, after all, one of the most important elements of courtship-- a rare opportunity for a couple to be "alone" in the midst of chaperones and parents etc.  In focusing on the performance element over the social intent, I think we run the risk of losing some of the joy of dancing, and consequently some of the sought-after expression.  What fun that you got to experience it, BTM!

"Snuggle Moment", I like that Smiley I have to say that this is one of the reasons why I got hooked on dancing initially. This is also something that has been eluding me. I find that the average level of skill on the social floor is not very high, wobbly frames, forceful/pushy leads, etc. All this noise makes it hard to relax into a dance. That's the reason for wanting to compete. I am more likely to experience this dancing bliss during hours of practice with someone closer to my skill level. That's my fantasy anyway Smiley

I can understand that motivation might get you that kind of result...but this lady wasnt that experienced a tango dancer though she has been doing modern jive for a while, and yes I agree poor technique definitely gets in the way.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: