partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116439 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  partnerdance nirvana
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: partnerdance nirvana  (Read 4531 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:39 AM »

[Edit: I picked this up from BTM's post on the chat topic.  Forget the show, forget the competition, forget everything else; Isn't this what partnerdancing is really about? ee]

In the interests of scientific investigation....

I had a lovely dance of sublime whassermajig with Ms R...to some slow tango pieces
and half way through she sorted of snuggled into me, and it didnt feel like I was leading any more.she just seemed to know where I was going
and I knew where she was going..

a post mortem discussion revealed she had stopped thinking about following and had just relaxed into dancing with me.

It was needles to say, delicious, intimate, and heavenly.

Tongue Smiley Grin Cool
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:28:12 AM by elisedance » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »

I had a lovely dance of sublime whassermajig with Ms R...to some slow tango pieces
and half way through she sorted of snuggled into me, and it didnt feel like I was leading any more.she just seemed to know where I was going

a post mortem discussion revealed she had stopped thinking about following and had just relaxed into dancing with me.

Tongue Smiley Grin Cool

sounds bliss!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

Tongue Smiley Grin Cool

Otherwise known as partnerdancing nirvana...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »

It strikes me that partner dancing, in it's original form, would have had that "snuggle moment" as it's primary object.  It was, after all, one of the most important elements of courtship-- a rare opportunity for a couple to be "alone" in the midst of chaperones and parents etc.  In focusing on the performance element over the social intent, I think we run the risk of losing some of the joy of dancing, and consequently some of the sought-after expression.  What fun that you got to experience it, BTM!

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »

But surely I am not the only one for whom competition actually enhances this feeling?

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »

It strikes me that partner dancing, in it's original form, would have had that "snuggle moment" as it's primary object.  It was, after all, one of the most important elements of courtship-- a rare opportunity for a couple to be "alone" in the midst of chaperones and parents etc.  In focusing on the performance element over the social intent, I think we run the risk of losing some of the joy of dancing, and consequently some of the sought-after expression. 
Amen to that!
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »

But surely I am not the only one for whom competition actually enhances this feeling?
I'm all for competing (or dancing anywhere for that matter) with this feeling in mind.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

I'm all for competing (or dancing anywhere for that matter) with this feeling in mind.

hm. and why don't you live in toronto?  Just sayin' ... Roll Eyes

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »

I've never competed in dance, so my perspective is limited, but I am surprised that it would happen that way.  Perhaps it's an element of Audience Effect (experts do even better with audiences, novices do even worse)?  I wonder if the intension of learning to dance for competition vs. personal enjoyment/social interaction affects the way we approach learning and partnership etc.

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »

I've never competed in dance, so my perspective is limited, but I am surprised that it would happen that way.  Perhaps it's an element of Audience Effect (experts do even better with audiences, novices do even worse)?  I wonder if the intension of learning to dance for competition vs. personal enjoyment/social interaction affects the way we approach learning and partnership etc.

Thanks for the complement (least I managed to find one Grin )  and i think you are right there is an audience effect - its as if the audience becomes a part of the whole expression dynamic.  But that must be fairly common - the little girl that performs 'I am a teapot' to relatives enjoys the song far more with the aunt audience....

I have yet to find the partner that complements this though.  That would be shangri-la for me I think - a lead that reciprcated the nirvanah - and who grew with competition... Where is that guy?

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »

perhaps someone should approach Pino about cloning himself?   Wink

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »

I'll take one - during the cloning could they add a few growth hormones? Roll Eyes

Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »

I'll take one - during the cloning could they add a few growth hormones? Roll Eyes

might as well aim for the stars, right?

Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »

It strikes me that partner dancing, in it's original form, would have had that "snuggle moment" as it's primary object.  It was, after all, one of the most important elements of courtship-- a rare opportunity for a couple to be "alone" in the midst of chaperones and parents etc.  In focusing on the performance element over the social intent, I think we run the risk of losing some of the joy of dancing, and consequently some of the sought-after expression.  What fun that you got to experience it, BTM!

"Snuggle Moment", I like that Smiley I have to say that this is one of the reasons why I got hooked on dancing initially. This is also something that has been eluding me. I find that the average level of skill on the social floor is not very high, wobbly frames, forceful/pushy leads, etc. All this noise makes it hard to relax into a dance. That's the reason for wanting to compete. I am more likely to experience this dancing bliss during hours of practice with someone closer to my skill level. That's my fantasy anyway Smiley

To thy self dance true --elisedance
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 12:03:47 AM »

ahh!  now I understand the connection with competition!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: