partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 06:27:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Standard: A Man's Dance?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Standard: A Man's Dance?  (Read 550 times)
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« on: December 09, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »

I heard someone say the other day that Standard is “a man’s dance,” meaning that “it’s very much the man that determines how well they perform,” even if the ladies change. I wanted to disagree, but I thought of several couples who have changed partners (Mirko and Edita, Victor and Anastasia), and I have to admit that it seems to be true. I can’t think of a top couple who changed partners and the lady’s new partnership consistently did better than the man’s. Would you agree that Standard is a man’s dance, then? If so, why do you think that is? The only guess I have is that the lady finishes much of the action instead of initiating it; if she doesn’t get a strong initiation, she can’t finish it well. I’m not an expert on this, so I don’t know for sure. This is only my best guess from what I know.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »

I tend to read it exactly as you put it - but before you dismiss the woman's role look at the current world champions.  Where would Arunas be if he had not snagged Katusha?  There is a partnership that might well be an example of the opposite (though you wold not hear a man admit it).

Maybe thats the problem - the people making the judgements are all men... Tongue  On the other hand, perhaps its also true that the tip men get to choose who to dance with ...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »

Standard: A dance of a man AND a woman.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:29:04 PM »

Standard: A dance of a man AND a woman.
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: