partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dance Partner Dot Com
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dance Partner Dot Com  (Read 2980 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 02, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »

I just signed up for a one month gold membership.  However, I wias wondering what others experience was like - did you fiind someone or did someone find you that you would rather had not!

I'll post more in due course...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:34:33 AM »

Day one (yesterday) I ante'd up and paid the $28 for a month gold membership.  The way the site works you can see and search profiles but you can't contact them because its illegal to post your full name or contact info within the profile.  To contact you pay a fee.  A silver membership lets you contact others but they can't reply!  So your potential partners have to ante up too.  It feels rather like an extortion scheme .. but I guess they have to make money.  The gold membership lets the person you write to write back.  On the correspondence page they post dire warnings about passing on your email address - which is at least in (large?) part disingenuous.  I suppose there is a real issue with people using the site to troll for prey but mostly they want to make sure everyone has to pay to communicate.

I then wrote to about 8 men.  A few are qualified to compete at my level but mostly are on the short end (I'm just over 5'10" and searched with a limit of the same size).  With my long legs I really do need a taller man and here's hoping for either a 6'2" perfect guy or a shorter one with legs up to his middle Cheesy.

The pool at my level was rather limited so I went down, as far as silver, to look for outliers.  The idea (fantasy??) is that with the right guy I would be prepared to spend the time to help him come up fast.  This is a dodgy plan that would only work with the most tallented lead - but here's hoping OK? Smiley
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:36:24 AM by elisedance » Logged

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:53 AM »

Day 2. 

Three of my prey read my emails (the site gives you that info) but only one actually replied.  Thats better than average considering the site is used for a lot of purposes other than actually finding a partner.  For example, last time I was on here (about 4 years ago) I nailed a pro that was pretending to be an AM looking for a partner but was actually trolling for pro-ams...

But I got one live one!!  He wrote a short but nice note explaining that he had injured a muscle and would be out of commission for a couple of weeks but we could meet.  He has a real dance history - competing up th championship but without a record since 2005.  The downside is that he is also 5'10 so there is that question.  Still, a life one is FAR more than I expected.. A little light in the tunnel...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:27:53 AM »

I have used that website when I first started, it gave me a feel of a dating website rather than a dance partner website. Well I was looking for a girlfriend at the time, so maybe that would explain why.

I didn't find any partner on that website, but the potential is definitely there.

Good luck Elise!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »

I have used that website when I first started, it gave me a feel of a dating website rather than a dance partner website. Well I was looking for a girlfriend at the time, so maybe that would explain why.

I didn't find any partner on that website, but the potential is definitely there.

Good luck Elise!

I've had a very spotty history with it - all I found last time was guys who were fishing for one night stands.  They were horrified when I made it clear I actually wanted to dance!  This time is alreay 1000% better...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »

The good thing about being at the top of the pyramid is that you get to know everyone else which means they can't make up things they have done without the rest of us "really" knowing what they have done.  At the bad end as you head toward the top there are less bricks to chose from.  I think I would try this site out since there isn't much else to go on.  Which reminds me to see about putting a "looking for dance partner" on the ODS (OADA) site.  Could really be a big help and at least the people looking would be current.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »

Well, the live one has gone very quiet.  I hope he didn't expire!

Meanwhile I had a contact from another one (lets call him Sugar) - great size match (6 ft) but scores himself as a silver level dancer.  We corresponded a bit and it transpired that he has not taken private lessons nor competed.  I tried to inject some reality with suggestions that if he wanted to compete he should probably take some one-on-one with a woman pro.  I also referred him to my youtube videos - one with me dancing with Anton Lebedev.  To which he responded that now he was not so intimidated.  I told him I was very impressed - since Anton was about 13th in the world I would be a very lucky follower indeed and I would love to try dancing with him.

The correspondence seems to have ground to a halt.

Score: DC.com 2, Elise 0

Oh, and two other guys checked my profile but did not bother to email.

DC.com 4, Elise 0

Undecided
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:26:18 PM by elisedance » Logged

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »

Well, there's a development.  'Sugar' (see last post) was not deterred by the blunt reply at all.  He admitted his limitations but also put forward a case for trying anyway.  I'm astonished - most guys would have run a mile in response to the frank email I sent.  Looks like we are actually going to try dancing together - from what he said, he's prepared to do whats necessary and he is realistic about not committing to competition yet (smart guy..).

ee off on another adventure.....

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:55 AM »

well that does sound slightly positive....but it will be up to him to lift to the plate if he is really keen.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:53:58 AM »

Well, when I started with ex-DP he was barely a gold-level dancer (I was already in championship).  Lots of experience but rather little refinement - and a terrible resistance to change.  This one may be even less trained but he seems MUCH more open to learning.  And he sounds like fun too... 

GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:01:08 AM »

And he sounds like fun too... 

=D

Thanks for sharing these posts - it's great to hear about your partner adventures.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »

And he sounds like fun too... 

=D

Thanks for sharing these posts - it's great to hear about your partner adventures.

I suppose its one of those 'make lemonade' things Grin  Actually, with change comes rejuvenation - maybe thats what I am feeling since to be totally honest I have not missed dancing with ex-DP as much as I thought I would.  I miss the time with him, that feeling of working together in a team - which is, I suppose, a testament to what was really a great partnership from the committment and dedication point of view.  However, I think I was ready for change too but am only now realizing it (DSV would have a ball with that line I'm sure Cheesy ).

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:21 AM »

Was Sugar as sweet as his name?  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »

Was Sugar as sweet as his name?  Tongue

you're on track...

GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »

I've decided to try this site as well. It seems promising!

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: