partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Rhythm or Latin - why, where, which level ...... ????????????
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Rhythm or Latin - why, where, which level ...... ????????????  (Read 3185 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »

I think that's what MC was actually getting at. 

I wonder why the judging community allowed this to happen?  I have observed that it has led to some bad habits on the part of people who are trying to imitate the style without really understanding the mechanics...

Perhaps. If so, my apologies, MC.

IMO, at that time, everyone was all agog at the Russians and Euro dancers' performance skills, and overlooked the dance skills. I am not saying that they were/are bad dancers! I am saying that they did not know the american style, and did the only thing that they could... dance it with int'l tech/styling. The judges simply let it go. Also, this was during the invention of DS, which also allowed nontraditional elements ito BR. So, together, BR simply lost a lot under the guise of evolution.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »

I think that's what MC was actually getting at.

It is.

IMO, at that time, everyone was all agog at the Russians and Euro dancers' performance skills, and overlooked the dance skills. I am not saying that they were/are bad dancers! I am saying that they did not know the american style, and did the only thing that they could... dance it with int'l tech/styling. The judges simply let it go. Also, this was during the invention of DS, which also allowed nontraditional elements ito BR. So, together, BR simply lost a lot under the guise of evolution.

Now, obviously I don't have the knowledge or experience to know the history behind this, but just based on what I've seen with my own 2 eyes during my time spectating and running scores at comps, I think it goes back to International-trained judges judging American events.  Despite theoretically having a judging certificate for all 4 styles, they still don't understand what American (specifically, Rhythm) is supposed to look like, so they don't mark couples that are doing the technique correctly, and it evolves from there.

I think some of the blame also goes on the dancers themselves.  It seems to be getting more and more popular for people to bring in a partner from Latin to dance Rhythm with, especially after a partnership break-up.  These "transplants," if you will, don't even attempt to dance American technique (or timing, to use your word TD) but they still place highly and even win competitions.  I can think of at least 2 specific examples of this just in the past few years.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 05:19:22 AM »

^ Agreed 100%.  You have iterated/emphasized my points, exactly.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:47 AM »

^ Agreed 100%.  You have iterated/emphasized my points, exactly.

I guess you can learn a lot just by running scores basically all weekend at a comp and therefore hanging around the judges all the time! Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: