partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Rhythm or Latin - why, where, which level ...... ????????????
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Rhythm or Latin - why, where, which level ...... ????????????  (Read 3061 times)
malakawa
Open Bronze

« on: April 21, 2009, 01:52:05 PM »

I would like to start this discussion.

Back in Europe i did International Latin and Standard (Latin more - on a high level). and i love it. the story that dancers can create in those dances is amazing. a discipline that they have is even better.

IMO, the way you use your body is much more in Latin, than in Rhythm.

Each dance for me in Latin makes sense.
A story of a couple:   Samba - flirt
                              Cha cha - first date
                              Rumba - make love
                              Paso doble - fight
                              Jive - conciliation

Thant, I can't see in Rhythm. And for me that is more social style. But this is me.

Give me your opinion.

What do you think about Latin & Rhythm? What do you find interesting in those dances? On which level are you dancing? ..............

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »

I started with rhytm many many moons ago and enjoyed it then I took up smooth and then quickly switched to international where I 'glommed'.  I also took up latin a few years ago and enjoyed that too - more than the rhytm because of the technical discipline mostly.  OTOH its not as good for social dancing as latin does not accomodate bad technique very well wehreas you can just about walk through rhytm and still get something out of it.

That said I used to love bolero (though I doubt I could do it now).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »

I started with rhytm many many moons ago and enjoyed it then I took up smooth and then quickly switched to international where I 'glommed'.  I also took up latin a few years ago and enjoyed that too - more than the rhytm because of the technical discipline mostly.  OTOH its not as good for social dancing as latin does not accomodate bad technique very well wehreas you can just about walk through rhytm and still get something out of it.

That said I used to love bolero (though I doubt I could do it now).

you'll be able to do it. your legs are probably in better shape than in some other sportsman.  Grin

maybe not right away with the hips, but eventually, yes. 

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »

In the old days I competed in both latin and rhythm.  I still dance both but compete in latin and do rhythm for fun, though I am heading for my gold rhythm medals in May.  I find both styles very much alike in terms of moves.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »

When you say Rhythm are you meaning American smooth? We do not do that here....We have New Vogue which different again.

I believe the two styles dances come and are expressed from a different place.. I think Latin is a young person dance and shows the body and the passion of young lovers. I feel that Standard style dances, show a more mature version of the same feelings.

Not that each age group can't do the dances. Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »

When you say Rhythm are you meaning American smooth? We do not do that here....We have New Vogue which different again.
No, (American) Rhythm is similar to (International) Latin. The Rhythm dances are Rumba, Cha Cha, East Coast Swing, Mambo and Bolero. Latin dances are Rumba, Cha Cha, Jive, Samba and Paso Doble.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »

American Smooth - Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot and Viennese Waltz (can open hold)
International Standard - Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, and Quickstep (always done in closed hold)

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »

Yes we have the same with NV that they can be open and have the same dances except they are done over a pattern they have open moves

American Smooth - Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot and Viennese Waltz (can open hold)
International Standard - Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, and Quickstep (always done in closed hold)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
mamboqueen
Newcomer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »

I
Each dance for me in Latin makes sense.
A story of a couple:   Samba - flirt
                              Cha cha - first date
                              Rumba - make love
                              Paso doble - fight
                              Jive - conciliation

Thant, I can't see in Rhythm. And for me that is more social style. But this is me.

Give me your opinion.

What do you think about Latin & Rhythm? What do you find interesting in those dances? On which level are you dancing? ..............

I have to disagree with you, M.  I have done both and feel that I have just as much ability to be expressive (and maybe moreso) in the rhythm dances than latin.  Even in watching the pros, I think there are some top rhythm couples that I find far more expressive (Jose/Joanna being the prime example) than some of the latin couples.   IMO, so many of the latin dancers are all about speed that the whole "art" of the interpretation of the music is lost. 

Dance first.  Think later.  It's the natural order.  ~Samuel Beckett
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

the one more thing that i don't like is that in rhythm you have to slow dances - rumba & bolero. mambo & cha cha - also in the same category. and only swing is different.

Tongue

i am totally in international style.  Grin

LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »

Rhythm Rumba isn't that slow. Must faster than Latin Rumba. Also, Mambo and Cha Cha are 2 different animals.

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »

Rhythm Rumba isn't that slow. Must faster than Latin Rumba. Also, Mambo and Cha Cha are 2 different animals.

http://www.geocities.com/sd_au/mambo/sdhmambo.htm   Wink

4 out of 5 dances in Am. Rhythm are either from Cuba or Puerto Rico.  Wink

Intl. Style: Samba - Brazil
               Cha Cha & Rumba - Cuba
               Paso Doble - France
               Jive - US

don't get me wrong. Rhythm is lovely. I love bolero & swing, but as a competitive style i prefer intl. style.

LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »

http://www.geocities.com/sd_au/mambo/sdhmambo.htm   Wink

4 out of 5 dances in Am. Rhythm are either from Cuba or Puerto Rico.  Wink

Intl. Style: Samba - Brazil
               Cha Cha & Rumba - Cuba
               Paso Doble - France
               Jive - US

don't get me wrong. Rhythm is lovely. I love bolero & swing, but as a competitive style i prefer intl. style.
And 4 out of the 5 Latin dances are from the Americas. What's your point?  Huh
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:03:57 PM by LucyDiamond » Logged

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »

I think she's trying to say that there's a lack of diversity in Rhythm.  Not sure I agree, since Latin and Rhythm by definition are supposed to be Latin-American dances, but I think that's Masha's point.

I prefer Latin myself, but that's more a function of the fact that Latin looks better on my body type--I look squatty dancing Rhythm for some reason, but my body looks much better in Latin.  And I also prefer International rumba to American and jive to swing, but that's just personal preference.
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »

Yes, I agree it a matter of personal preference.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: