partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:09:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  one costume, one day, different dances
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: one costume, one day, different dances  (Read 737 times)
MrsMoose
Bronze

« on: March 19, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »

Ok, I have a question, maybe it's already answered, maybe there is no answer but I'd like opinions for sure.

Ok you go to a comp and lets say it's latin, and you are doing swing, hustle, rumba, and chacha

I put those specifically because to me swing and hustle, and maybe this is just me, the costumes should look different than for rumba and chacha.

While swing and hustle fall into the latin catagory I don't see them in the same way. At least I don't.

So when they are all lumped together how do you find an appropriate costume (female) for all. Men have it easier in this regard but women?

I see different costumes for swing/hustle than for rumba chacha. I can absoultely say that at La Classique for example there is no time to change if you are competing in those dances,.

Hope this makes sense.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »

I like a dress that is long enough that I can use it as a prop but not to the point where I will get my heel caught in it (been there, done that).  It works for all the dances  because for swing, hustle and cha cha it will move and give you a lot of animation, in rumba you can use it to pull up to show your leg etc. in a sexy manner. 

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »

for competitions it may be better to tihnk of a dress that has action and you look good in rather than trying to match it to a particular dance.  OTOH if you are doing a showcase then go to town:)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:05:31 AM »

That's what I'm doing now, what you suggested, no now show dances or solos.

I was just wondering what others do, because that's what I am doing or should I say trying to do.

I asked because sometimes I feel that the costumes are so well matched and sometimes not always but sometiems I see a costume so well suited to a particular dance.

Probably just my thinking.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »

What you are probably doing is looking at each dance and then spotting one woman with the ideal costume - and then a different one in a different dance!  Of course, both are probably doing all 5 dances.  Trust me, once you are out there, the last thing in your mind is your costume - unless, that is, it gets tangled in your partner or fails you Shocked

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »

You are probably right. If I think about it that's what I am doing.

My dress failed me my last comp. I felt the appliques pop during one heat. Thankfully the way the dress is made and the place it popped nothing became exposed, and while I can see it on the picture it's on the side so not really that visable.

First time I wore the dress too, new made.

I'll survive, just hate wasting good money, it can't be reparied either. Well it can temporarily but it will happen again.  I was told it's because non-stretchy appliques were put on a stretchy dress and no allowance for stretch was made. go figure.   I had it evaluated by different people.

So in the end the most I can do is have the part swen on but it won't be perfect. the gap will still be there. But it's on the side so not totally visable. But it bothers me. I will keep it for emergency use as I like the style for now.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 03:02:15 AM »

here you only wear one costume as you are on the floor for international and you dont have time to change. but it is not uncommon for the lady to wear a different one in the final but I prefer it if they stayed int he same one so I can remember who they are Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 06:40:54 AM »

I think the OP has a good point.  Some dresses are perfectly suited for certain dances.  (Thinking of cute fringy, flirty dresses that were so popular for samba, a decade or so ago. Perfect for samba, for rumba, not so much.

I think that it's impractical to try to change costumes, if you're dancing in a multi-dance Latin competition.  There's no time. Even if you had a tearaway skirt, for example, I can't imagine the rules allowing you time to tear it away and dispose of it before the next heat.  Can you imagine the mayhem that would cause on the floor?

I think that the answer is to do what a lot of the ladies did at Blackpool this year -- pick a dress that is jack of all trades, while acknowledging that it may be master of none. I saw some really, really beautiful costumes on the floor at Blackpool this year that may not have been perfectly suited for any one dance, but that were great for Latin overall.

If I remember later, I'll post some pictures.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: