partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 02:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  History: who did what when? (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  American Born World Champions
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: American Born World Champions  (Read 2621 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »

Don't want to step out into too much speculation, here, but, from what I understand, some other countries have much better systems for training young (or even VERY young) dancesport athletes.
but is there a danger there of child abuse?  I mean if a child is channelled into something even if its not something they want to do...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »

Absolutely there is.  Or at least, I think so.  But what can you do?  There'll always be stage parents out there. 

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »

Well some coutnries have less of a stigma on dancing. We have Russian mothers locally that have their boys doing ballroom dancing, not sure if they are forcing them to do so, but they seem  to be more persistent that native born mothers, who see dancing as effeminate...which is such a shame. I have heard my son is not dancing he is a boy and he will play football or cricket!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »

To the original question: there is another world champion - Nadia Effedal (well, sorta. But if you consider Corky Ballas to be world champion, then I guess she is, too).

I think one of the reasons that there are so few of them is because back in the day, the best of the best dancers are all in England. So it really doesn't matter where are you are from, you have to be trained in England (to excel). So in that sense, I think European dancers have some advantages. Now that the dancers are more spread out, I am hoping that in the next 10, 20 years, there will be more American trained dancers.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 12:13:33 AM »

That make a lot of sense.I hadn't thought of that. The good dancers are where the good trainers are. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 12:52:53 AM »

Yes I wondered who Arunas and Katusha use for coaches are they all in England

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:27:47 AM »

To the original question: there is another world champion - Nadia Effedal (well, sorta. But if you consider Corky Ballas to be world champion, then I guess she is, too).

I think one of the reasons that there are so few of them is because back in the day, the best of the best dancers are all in England. So it really doesn't matter where are you are from, you have to be trained in England (to excel). So in that sense, I think European dancers have some advantages. Now that the dancers are more spread out, I am hoping that in the next 10, 20 years, there will be more American trained dancers.

It was worse than that - the british judges ruled and at one time I don't think it was possible to win a world championship unless you were British in essence being british was a critical element of being a ballroom dancer, so this topic was moot. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »

What made things start to change?  Does anybody know? Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »

I am not sure, but that does sound a bit elitist but having been to Blackpool I have seen it in action by the old guard. you dont have lessons with them well you wont go far....Not sure how true that is but that is definitely the perception.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:55 AM »

It's human nature I suppose; you vote for the familiar.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: