partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Favorite Make-up Brands for Competition
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Make-up Brands for Competition  (Read 1299 times)
dancinginthemoonlight
Intermediate Bronze

« on: November 03, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »

Does anyone have a favorite make-up brand they use for competitions? (This can be for eye shadows, lipsticks, foundations, etc.)

I used to just use only drug store make up (Cover Girl and Maybelline were my favorites) but while I was in-between jobs, I worked for a make-up counter at a department store and it got me interested in this stuff. Lancome and MAC have some of the best eye shadows and lipsticks! If you love glitter (like me Smiley) Chanel makes this amazing glitter cream eye shadow/liner that is sooo sparkly! Too bad I can't afford it anymore Sad , but it is still fun to talk about. Smiley

So what are your favorites? And if anyone has recommendations for a good foundation to use at competitions, let me know. I am in the market for one!

(Oh, and just as a side note - I am in no way against drug store make up. Lancome is actually a part of L'oreal and so a lot of their products are very similar, one is just a lot more expensive! Cover Girl makes this long-wearing lipstick that I swear by. I have not found a department store lipstick that lasts even half as long.)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »

I have set myself up with MAC products.  I have MAC foundation  and use a maybeline mineral powder over the top, I use MAC  eye color including a primer and  a wax stick to stop my lipstick from bleeding, I have an unbranded eyeliner  and I use a Revlon Mascara... As I have to replace things I will try the MAC brand I have been very happy with the products I use so far.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:57:36 AM »

I have set myself up with MAC products.  I have MAC foundation  and use a maybeline mineral powder over the top, I use MAC  eye color including a primer and  a wax stick to stop my lipstick from bleeding, I have an unbranded eyeliner  and I use a Revlon Mascara... As I have to replace things I will try the MAC brand I have been very happy with the products I use so far.

Me too.  Their eye colours are really bright.  Everything else is just drug store - foundations, lipstick (that two-step stuff stays on)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:29:45 AM »

I'm also a MAC fan though their products are quite pricey here in Australia. I like the Studio Fix Fluid foundation and have been using it for the past 3ish years. It has full coverage and if used with the studio fix powder stays on all day. Recently got 3 L'oreal Paris lipsticks and am liking them so far.
dancinginthemoonlight
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »

Do you guys typically match your eye shadow to your outfits or do you typically stay with something more neutral for your eyes (like black, grays, browns, etc.)?

My outfit is black so I've been debating if I should stay with black on my eyes (like a smoky eye) or maybe do a little color on them.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »

L'Oreal HIP eye shadows are very bright, too, and they cost a fraction of MAC shadows. Their metallic black/silver combo is my staple for a smoky eye.
dancinginthemoonlight
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »

Yes, I do like the L'Oreal HIP products too, they have a great cream eye liner as well.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »

Do you guys typically match your eye shadow to your outfits or do you typically stay with something more neutral for your eyes (like black, grays, browns, etc.)?

My outfit is black so I've been debating if I should stay with black on my eyes (like a smoky eye) or maybe do a little color on them.

I like my makeup to reflect at least some colors of my outfit. I go with neutral only if I am changing outfits and want the makeup to go with both.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »

I like my makeup to reflect at least some colors of my outfit. I go with neutral only if I am changing outfits and want the makeup to go with both.

Definitely match or complement.  I'd be tempted to add some colour rather than just black.  Are your earrings black too?  You could go red with gold or cool colours.. your call.  Also match your eye colour...

dancinginthemoonlight
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:47:38 AM »

Little known fact...I don't have my ears pierced! (though at one time, I did have my eyebrow pierced. I guess having my ears pierced was just too normal for me. lol)

Though I could wear clip ons I suppose, but they sometimes give me a headache.

I was pondering the idea of going with some blue eyeshadow. Last time I competed (seems like forever ago) I had bright red clip in hair extensions. It worked really well with my short hair at the time, but since then my hair has gotten much longer.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »

I would do a smokey eye - and on occasion use a colored eye liner (deep navy/green).
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »

MAC was originally developed for theater - so it lats forever and the colors are true. Maybelline wateproof mascara --lipstick, what ever works for you. But I like a product called Lip Ink as a "foundation" and then regular finished with a gloss.....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »

MAC was originally developed for theater - so it lats forever and the colors are true. Maybelline wateproof mascara --lipstick, what ever works for you. But I like a product called Lip Ink as a "foundation" and then regular finished with a gloss.....
thats the sort of lipstick I use too.  You don't have to worry about it coming off.  Ever Shocked

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »

Isn;t it amazing - and a bit sad - that we have access to the same products on opposite sides of the world?  Whats next?  Galactic advertising?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: