partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 12:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Swing (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Swing dancers chime in!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Swing dancers chime in!  (Read 3540 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: April 21, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »

We need to get some swing discussion going here.  Who does what?  I mostly do WCS; there's also some ECS.  I've had a couple of lessons in lindy, and I'd like to take some more when I can find the time. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:41:52 PM by cornutt » Logged
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »

Oh, you mean dance swingers.  Sorry wrong forum.  Grin  I'm just a bad, bad girl.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:42:12 PM by cornutt » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »

I knew I'd get somebody with that!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:42:32 PM by cornutt » Logged
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:47 AM »

Hey I got it. Just didn't reply to it, you flirt! LOL Wink

Anyways .... with regards to swinging.

I go to Friday Night swing here in MD. Towson actually. HUGE dance floor brand spanking new. It is at a VFW lodge or something. Great thing is NO POLES (thou Cornutt I am sure you appreciate them Wink)in the middle of the floor. LOL

Anyway live bands. Lesson early and something like 3 or 4 hours of pure dancing. (when band takes breaks they incorporate a DJ with Ballroom/Latin music)

Venue nice, not expensive, snacks, nice people. (LOTS of people)

I do not know much, but I break a sweat and have a ball when I go.

They do both ECS and WCS, with hustle, lindy etc ...... it really is a good mix. Some rabid folks,but in a good way. Willing to help newbies out like me.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:42:51 PM by cornutt » Logged

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

That sounds fantastic ED!  I would love to have a place around here that has a swing dance like that.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »

Had my first WCS class with Mary Kerner, a handsome woman. Anyone know her?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:50:43 AM »

Don't know her actually, but agree that we need some swing discussion. It is often considered a throw away dance, even in comp, and is, probably for this reason, danced poorly a lot of the time. It is the single most vared dance, and the most misunderstood, IMO.

What did you think of your first WCS? I dance; ECS, WCS, Shag, Chicago Stepping, Lindy, Lindy Hop, Savoy, Jitterbug/Jive, Stomp, Open Swing, Hustle, and even Pony Swing   Roll Eyes  My fav?  Hmmmm................................. Huh

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 06:48:23 AM »

Don't know her actually, but agree that we need some swing discussion. It is often considered a throw away dance, even in comp, and is, probably for this reason, danced poorly a lot of the time. It is the single most vared dance, and the most misunderstood, IMO.

What did you think of your first WCS? I dance; ECS, WCS, Shag, Chicago Stepping, Lindy, Lindy Hop, Savoy, Jitterbug/Jive, Stomp, Open Swing, Hustle, and even Pony Swing   Roll Eyes  My fav?  Hmmmm................................. Huh

well she was a tanned handsome woman wearing a Marilyn Monroe style dress; I think she could have led me anywhere..........Wink

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:58:51 AM »

I have noticed here in MD ... swing is starting to draw quite a large following, especially the younger set. These kids go all out too, wearing zoot suits, saddles shoes, poodle skirts, 1940s era clothing. It is wild!!!!!!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »

Real shag?  Carolina shag?
I want to get back to that.
Haven't danced shag in over 10 years!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »

I have noticed here in MD ... swing is starting to draw quite a large following, especially the younger set. These kids go all out too, wearing zoot suits, saddles shoes, poodle skirts, 1940s era clothing. It is wild!!!!!!
We have some good-sized swing dance groups back at home and they do some socials with period dress and everything.  They're a great group and a ton of fun!

I also had an opportunity to go out blues dancing in Edinburgh.  A friend of mine from home moved to Edinburgh for work about a year and a half ago and has now started teaching lindy and blues lessons with a group called Zoot Swing.  Another really great group of people!  I don't know if I've just been lucky, but so far, every swing group I've found has been really friendly and welcoming.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 06:07:25 AM »

Hi Medira. . . . .You know Ben then! We have a friend in common.

Scotland has a really strong Swing scene, both Lindy and West Coast Swing, and yes the young people are doing Swing, not ballroom. Most of the WCS in Scotland is taught by ISDT trained ballroom teachers, so its rather more technical in approach than some classes I've been to in England. The standard is very high. Even Lindy has its Ballroom influence with Helen Tennant in Glasgow being an ex-ballroom competitor.

Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »

Been doing EC Swing for years, usually prefer single-step though I may indulge in triple-step occasionally.

Only recently have me and West Coast Swing came to terms, for years I was averse to it because I just couldnl;t get the hang of it even on a basic level at first, plus I used to run into a lot of WCS snobbery and such when I used to live in Boston MA, that turned me off to it for a long time

In a far friendlier dance environment like Atlanta's, I was finally able to let go and give it another chance. Glad I did.  Smiley

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »

ECS is my least favorite dance of all of them. But I fell in love with WCS last summer/early fall when I dipped my toe into the Lindo community in Jersey. Had 1 or 2 group lessons with Lindo, a mini on-the-floor coaching from an accomplished social dancer, just to learn the basics, and that's all as far as instruction, other than what I've picked up on the floor.

Am heading back up to Jersey next week, and will be there in time to hit up another Lindo group lesson, so I definitely have WCS on my mind.

It is a *wonderful* dance! All about connection, musicality, and spontaneity, different every time. And that's good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:59:56 PM by samina » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »

You know, I never managed to imagine you in FL anyway.  So thanks for fixing my disconnect Sam... Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: