partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Picking competitions...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Picking competitions...  (Read 4026 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »

Sometimes, it makes me laugh that people are so proud of their 1st placing out of two couples and brag about it.
That could be a little harsh - after all those people HAVE paid a fortune to compete and want to see something of their investment - and they may have beaten a couple that routinely bet them before.  Also, for each person you beat there are 10 in the stands that did not compete that you have, in effect, beaten Wink

Yeah, it might be harsh, but I am not referring people who enjoy the competition and talk about the positive side. Most of people whom I met usually are very negative about the competition(small ones) that they attended, but just cares about their placing. And, those people usually show some attitude as if they won the best competition in the world and acts like the best dancer in the world.
Well, I might have a different mind set from those people.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »

Ah, I know whereof you speak Wink  And yes, they can be tiresome...
Of course, there is nothing wrong to being proud of winning a competition - even if you are the only couple (the judges could score you 2nd nonetheless) - its just that the degree of pride should be proportional to the difficulty of the event.  And thats true of all the tests we put ourselves through, not just dance.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
drj
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »

Of course, there is nothing wrong to being proud of winning a competition - even if you are the only couple (the judges could score you 2nd nonetheless) - its just that the degree of pride should be proportional to the difficulty of the event.  And that's true of all the tests we put ourselves through, not just dance.

What am I missing here? the degree of pride should be proportional to the difficulty of the event? Excuse me? Should I be more proud of placing first in Open Gold when I do 15 comps a year and 100 heats at each, or of being a shy newcomer placing first in a two-couple scholarship in her first small comp? Which of those two scenarios do you think is more difficult? What degree of pride is proportional for Goldie, what for Newbie?

I believe firmly, that whether I'm doing Newcomer at a small local comp, or Open Gold at OSB, I win the moment I walk out on that floor. What's my proportional level of pride for just walking out on the floor?

Proportional? What on earth you talking about?

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »

Well, I think its proportional to a lot of factors.  If you are a newcomer there is tremedous pride in just going out on the competition floor - and well earned pride too since the (one) comparator is what your peers are doing (most of which will not be competing at all).  However, I don't think a seasoned championship level amateur or professional gets a lot of pride from the same action.  A world champion that comes second in a major competition can't surely feel a lot of pride in that, despite the achievement in our eyes. 

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »

It's a matter of exceeding your own limitations.  If you're a newcomer, not face-planting is something to be proud of.  If you're a world champion, you have higher standards for yourself. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »

Is "superiority" the issue, or "pride"?  I don't think pride is a bad thing at all.

I also think that pride shouldn't really have anything to do with the competition.  It should be within yourself, but that's just my personal opinion.  I can go to big competition, place dead last, but walk out feeling prouder than I have ever before because I was able to do what I trained to do or my performance was better than I every expected to produce.  On the flip side, I've also been to competitions where I danced horribly and got placed much higher than I think I should've thereby making me not so proud, despite the high placing.

There are those folks that feel more superior to others based on their placings at smaller competitions just like there are those that feel superior to others based on their placings at bigger competitions in the U.S.  Then they go to Blackpool and get knocked out in the first round.  So I'm wondering if y'all are talking about people that are just proud of their accomplishments or people that use their placings as a crutch to feel superior to others.  In that case, even if you're a world champion, I don't think you can feel "superior" to anyone because given the proper luck and training anybody can be a world champion.  People at the top should be grateful of their good fortune and humble that people that place below them are sponsoring the sport that's paying their (and their coach's) bills.  Maybe that's why people from the very top that I've met are so humble and friendly.  Also I'm sure that they realize that their coaches could wipe the floor with them any day, on a bad day, with one leg tied behind their back.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:15:07 PM by Some guy » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 03:15:52 AM »

dare I say that this has change slightly to the topic? Where we are we are islolated from good compeitions...so much so that we need to go interstate to enjoy a different level of competition. I would rather be a small fish in a big bowl  than a big fish in a small bowl. it makes you have to lift to a different level of competition.

there is also the finacial aspect of pciking events. I would love to go west to compete but unfortunately cost of flights is much higher and each trip is a minimum of $1,000 for us....so then you have to say i am going to do  XXX amount as that is all i can afford this year.

Once you are at the competition you need to make the best of it. It is a long way to do to be half hearted...pride or whatever it is must come to the fore, regardless of the numbers on the floor...

Also should not the coach have some input into which compeitions will do best for your dancing.?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 02:52:20 AM »

dare I say that this has change slightly to the topic? Where we are we are islolated from good compeitions...so much so that we need to go interstate to enjoy a different level of competition. I would rather be a small fish in a big bowl  than a big fish in a small bowl. it makes you have to lift to a different level of competition.

there is also the finacial aspect of pciking events. I would love to go west to compete but unfortunately cost of flights is much higher and each trip is a minimum of $1,000 for us....so then you have to say i am going to do  XXX amount as that is all i can afford this year.

Once you are at the competition you need to make the best of it. It is a long way to do to be half hearted...pride or whatever it is must come to the fore, regardless of the numbers on the floor...

Also should not the coach have some input into which compeitions will do best for your dancing.?

Yes.  But ... I don't think the coach should have the final say for at least two reasons.  One.  It's your budget.  So, even though she/he may have input, you should have control.

Two:  I've heard lots of horror stories about teachers, especially in pro-am, talking trusting students into ridiculously overpriced comp packages.

I think that this is another of those caveat emptor situations.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:00:34 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »

Well I suppose I am lucky and my coach travels to judge so has been to plenty of comps. I think if my coach did not ravel I would necessarily ask their advice. If it is hearsay, but the premise of my post is still the same.Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »

The way it usually works in pro-am if there is only one student they simply discuss whichcomps to go to - with the student having the final say because its on their budget.  However, if there are a lot then the pro usually makes a list of the comps they plan to attend.  that's quite simple if the pro is still competing but if not then there may be some give and take depending on the collective interest. 

I guess I got spoiled as I was the first am for both of my pros and so had exclusive rights Cheesy  Well, with Anton he had his pro partner too I guess Tongue Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: