partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  What makes a Good Follower?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What makes a Good Follower?  (Read 1418 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »

cos I was asked this by one of my students.. and I said how long have you got?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »

cos I was asked this by one of my students.. and I said how long have you got?

I'd be interested if your answer would be the same as your favorite followers Wink  Also if its any (in what way) different from ballroom

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »

As Maja said. being a responder, follower means that you have to be a good listener. Understanding what the leader is trying to tell you. They also have to learn to give clear messages.

I have an example of this last night in our tango lesson, our coach said why are you in a hurry to go out on a certain step and I said well that is the indication that I am getting from my partner.

He said well I was only lowering to get myself ready for the next step not realising that he is also turning his body which gives me the signal that I need to move. So once we established that one was giving the wrong signal and one was interpreting the wrong things, we could fix it.

so I believe that clear lines of communications are required on both sides so that what you are following is what is meant to happen.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
orangepeel
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »

I haven't been dancing for too long but so far I've found that if the man gives clear and comfortable signals (i.e. not jerking me around muscularly) and I am remaining relaxed enough to move where he places me it works out pretty well.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »

I haven't been dancing for too long but so far I've found that if the man gives clear and comfortable signals (i.e. not jerking me around muscularly) and I am remaining relaxed enough to move where he places me it works out pretty well.
I think thats more on the lines of 'what makes a good leader' but often its hard to distinquish one from the other!  Perhaps it all boils down to 'what makes a good couple' anyway...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »

Amen to that!
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:46:46 AM »

Amen to that!

that is true... must be open to the message given.. if you are younger I think you would pick it up quicker. what do othes think?

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

I think QPO asked a very good question.  What makes a good AT follower?  Is it different from what makes a good follower in other partner dances.  I think we'll all agree that to follow means to wait.  But what, in addition to waiting, makes a good tango follower?

btm.  Any ideas?    We've got time.    Wink  Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

LOL!  I'm going to guess that they are identical to ballroom - at least the kind of ballroom I believe in, body school described herein.  But I'm open to reasons why thats not the case.

Same for salsa too methinks...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »

But you didn't account for the mystical nature of a true tango connection.  Wink  Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »

But you didn't account for the mystical nature of a true tango connection.  Wink  Smiley
teach me oh great one...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »

well tango connection in AT is very different from ballroom. it is more of an A frame connection and the walk back is with a much straighter leg. I did like AT but  did not have time with all our ballroom. Will like to revisit it later.

Would love them to participate in comps but the groups here say it is a social thing.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:52:34 AM »

There are some AT comps and some AT exhibitions, but a lot of the tango community views both with derision. Tango is complicated.  *understatement*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »

There are some AT comps and some AT exhibitions, but a lot of the tango community views both with derision. Tango is complicated.  *understatement*
I think thats terrific.  It should be about dance - I think we've lost something in the ballroom community...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »

I agree. But we've gained in return. I really doubt the sport would have evolved as much as it has, if not for competitive dancers' need to constantly push the envelope.

It's a trade-off, I think.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: