partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Just how qualified does your dance teacher have to be?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Just how qualified does your dance teacher have to be?  (Read 1729 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:44 AM »

well I think it is like any service you use. It is up to you to ask the questions to find out how qualified the person is....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »

well I think it is like any service you use. It is up to you to ask the questions to find out how qualified the person is....

So what if the person came from a far away land with top ballroom and says they are brilliant?  There is no resource to go to to test that...
Is that what you would want to rely on for dentistry too?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 06:57:26 AM »

as an autodidact; i am both the worst and best teacher I know.....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »

The best teachers are generally those that doubt their own excellence in their field...

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »

So what if the person came from a far away land with top ballroom and says they are brilliant?  There is no resource to go to to test that...

People usually want pretty much the same thing from their dentist. They have different goals in mind regarding dancing.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »

People usually want pretty much the same thing from their dentist. They have different goals in mind regarding dancing.

for good or bad Dancing is not as regulated as Dentistry...there are many more checks and balances in place but if enough people are being damaged by poor teaching who knows if they make it more rigorous.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »

for good or bad Dancing is not as regulated as Dentistry...there are many more checks and balances in place but if enough people are being damaged by poor teaching who knows if they make it more rigorous.

I think it varies depending on where you are.  We're in the free market for everything zone - so no regs but I think there are quite strict rules in England (maybe someone can correct me).

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »

I think that the divide between student level and teacher level broadens as the student progresses. Meaning, for example, a beginner can easily learn everything that is needed from a bronze or silver level teacher.  But a high-level competitor may very well need a world champion level teacher.

I think that the whole pricing question is a separate and very complex issue. 

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »

I think everyone wants a world champion from the get go - but they are likely to be poor introductory dance teachers.  It really is a specialty

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 06:00:56 AM »

I agree.  I think that often, by the time you get to world champion level, the elementary concepts are like breathing.  How exactly do you teach someone to breathe?  I think it takes a special type of higher level dancer to remember  and explain the component parts of how to take a dance "breath."

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 06:00:29 AM »

remember that Arthur Murray have their teachers not too many steps ahead of the student. Not sure why that philosophy came about. But I enjoy assisting beginners to they learn to love dancing and come back for more.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »

remember that Arthur Murray have their teachers not too many steps ahead of the student. Not sure why that philosophy came about. But I enjoy assisting beginners to they learn to love dancing and come back for more.
the 'philosophy' is a no brainer - it means they can use untrained (and hence cheap) teachers to get high lesson fees. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 03:00:36 AM »

the 'philosophy' is a no brainer - it means they can use untrained (and hence cheap) teachers to get high lesson fees. 

yes I can see that but surely the business model would fall over for those that really want to learn more.  But it has worked for them for a long time, here they work out quickly going to another school will be a cheaper option for them. I know a girl from the AM has started her own school and she wont let her dancers participate in our comps for that very reason.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 03:40:35 AM »

yes I can see that but surely the business model would fall over for those that really want to learn more.  But it has worked for them for a long time, here they work out quickly going to another school will be a cheaper option for them. I know a girl from the AM has started her own school and she wont let her dancers participate in our comps for that very reason.
It works because they teach total novices who have no reason to think that lessons could be any other way.  After all, these franchises are long standing and famous.  There is another side though: what they are good at is providing a safe harbour for people who want to try dancing for the first time - and its comprehensive, not only lessons but also practise times and lots of socializing. 

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: