partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 01:41:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116384 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  "Members Only" social parties for studios/clubs
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Members Only" social parties for studios/clubs  (Read 695 times)
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« on: August 20, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »

I don't know if we're just out of the loop and unfamiliar with main-stream dance protocol, but it seems the more I try to find "other places to dance", the more we run into "Members Only" establishments like the Evansville, IN's Coterie, World Championship Productions's WCP Members Club dances, and so forth.

Is this a rising trend, to exclude other non-studio or club-specific dancers from social venues? If so, why? Does your studio/place of danceship do this? If they offer this, do they also offer "must come with guest" or perhaps another "for real open, honest" social for out-of town visitors frequently?

We're not roustabouts looking to crash a studio party while sporting mullets and drinking Pabst- we shower, we know how to do the box-step- BOTH directions (*gasp!*), and we mean no ill will towards the natives. We just get tired of going to the same two or three places on a circuit each month or so.

The pros of a "membership dance" could be secured finances for the venue's rental and other expenses, but the cons are that you're excluding passers-by who might word-of-mouth you more positively than "Well, they don't let outsiders in".

Thoughts?
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »

A few times a year, we do a semi-private party to which only regular students are invited.  Other than that, all of our studio's functions are open to the public.  There are some things like showcases for which you have to buy tickets in advance, due to our seating limitations.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »

Same here.  I have't heard of any dance socials that excluded non-members.  The strictly social dance studio would have a private outing a few times a year (at a dance club or dinner club,) but I haven't heard of  "members only" dances.  Usually, it's the more the merrier.

Exclusive events seem awfully rude to me.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: