partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 10:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool Dance Festival May 21-29, 2009
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool Dance Festival May 21-29, 2009  (Read 3331 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 02:50:29 AM »

I am sure between Medira, Skipper and myself, we will be able to get some information coming back. The only problem none of us are going to be there all week. Is anybody else going that can report on the first Friday, then Saturday and Sunday?Huh

Dora-Satya Veda

We may not have it all covered DSV but we should have enough. 
Perhaps we could make a list of couples that we are particularly interested in (coaches friends etc) and the attendees could keep an eye out (no pressure though - I'd hate to ruin someone's blackpool experience because of stress to find a couple!).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:57 AM »

It would be great to have a list of couple to keep an eye out for. I have been going for well over 20 years so there are many things that I don't need to see or take care of. I therefore have more freedom and time then people, that are new to this experience. I do have to look after my own kids, but if the other couples are dancing on the same day, then I will not have a problem looking for them. In regards to stressing out....that is not really in my nature so not to worry I can handle a few more couples to look at. Wink

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »

I know Casey is going to Blackpool. But I do not know her schedule and if she wants to report or not.

Casey, you out there? Waving HI!!!!!!!!!!!  Smiley

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »

just so everyone knows - we are making a list of coupls we would like to keep an eye on for the PDO members that are going to BPl to look out for = but its the sister thread to this one.

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 03:18:40 AM »

I'm already jealous Wink  Medira you will have to be reporter-at-large for the group....

And we can send you the names of our pet couples - my coach will be there (Anton&Anna) and i will need minute- by-minutereports while they are dancing Cheesy
Hehe!  Not a problem. Smiley  I have friends that I will be cheering on as well.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »

Elise asked this question of me on the other Blackpool thread..."DSV - what happens when an amateur couple enter the pro ranks at Blackpool?  Do they have to establish credibility first or are they treated equalaly?"

Now this is my opinion and my opinion alone. I base that opinion on both personal experience and what I have observed over the last couple of decades +.

When an amateur turns pro, they will be compared to the other pro’s on equal terms. I have found that most top amateurs will make it into the Raising Star Final and sometimes even win the Rising Star. I have also seen that most top amateur make it into the top 12 or top 24 on their first time out. There are of course exceptions to this, one of them being the legendary Peter Maxwell. Peter Maxwell won the amateur latin and standard one year and was second in Pro latin the year after. Top amateur couples have already shown, they are good dancers by being in the top of amateur, so there should be not need to establish credibility. In short, I would say that a top former amateur, now pro, would have equal an change.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »

Thanks - its interesting to compare the top amateur competitions with that for the pros.  Each has their strengths - the ams have more energy and youthful enthusiasm - which is fun to watch - but the pros have more polish and savoire faire which make them more satisfying to watch.  Which is better?  I suppose it depends on the scale one uses...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »

Thanks - its interesting to compare the top amateur competitions with that for the pros.  Each has their strengths - the ams have more energy and youthful enthusiasm - which is fun to watch - but the pros have more polish and savoire faire which make them more satisfying to watch.  Which is better?  I suppose it depends on the scale one uses...

The couples are expected to have more maturity once they enter the professional ranks. That is why it normally takes at least a couple of years (for most couples) to get into the final. They (the new pros) have the energy, that is true, but they look panicked and out of control, compared to the mature professionals. My teacher use to say that it was like comparing “headless chickens” to “hovering eagles”. In most cases the eagles are the winners because they still have their head. Sorry about the very descriptive explanation.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 01:39:42 AM »

very a-pro-pro I think Smiley  I think the new Canadian amateur couples Anton and Antonetta (who you should see at blackpool but I don't know if they will do latin or standard - they won both), much as I love them, have the headless chicken syndrome, at least in standard.  In latin it seems to works a bit better, at least in the fast dances. 

Becky!
pre-bronze

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

I'll report, if I ever get a minute! And if my connection holds out . . . I'm there from the very first day all through the whole festival so hope not to miss a trick!
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »

Looking forward to it, Becky.  Glad you could join us at PDO!
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »

HI Becky ......... love the avatar!!!!!!!!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Becky!
pre-bronze

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »

Thanks! Very pleased to be here! And for anyone who's going - I'm the loud one with the Russian flag - no prizes for guessing who I'm cheering for!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 06:44:15 AM »

I didn't realize you are going!  You lucky thing - I think I should start planning for next year.  Please look out for anton and anna lebedev (he's my new pro partner) Smiley

Becky!
pre-bronze

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 03:20:10 PM »

I will definitely make sure I check them out, if I can find them on the floor - that's the problem with Blackpool, it's so hectic, and so much going on, I've missed so many great couples there and it's only been at the smaller competitions where I've really been able to appreciate them fully.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: