partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Sport or Art?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sport or Art?  (Read 1800 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »

ther eis an ongoing fight in Australia bewteen the WDC and WSDF for all the reason that has been previously discussed. but part of that argument is that some see dancing as an art  and others are trying to say that it is a spsort.

I am not sure what to say about it but that it is an artistic sport

Definition of a sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others".

so I do beleive that we do this. What do others think?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
NZ_Guy
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »

For me a sport requires real time out-manoeuvring of one or more opponents.  I don't believe ballroom has that.

The artistic aspect of it lies for me only in the choreography (including any real time choreography for musicality or floorcraft purposes).  So for me choreographers are necessarily artists but dancers are artists only to the extent that they are also choreographers.

I personally categorise ballroom as a discipline.  So, it would be in the same category to me as Tai Chi, for example..

-T.

Hanging out on the friendlier dance forum.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:35:48 AM »

For me a sport requires real time out-manoeuvring of one or more opponents.  I don't believe ballroom has that.

The artistic aspect of it lies for me only in the choreography (including any real time choreography for musicality or floorcraft purposes).  So for me choreographers are necessarily artists but dancers are artists only to the extent that they are also choreographers.

I personally categorise ballroom as a discipline.  So, it would be in the same category to me as Tai Chi, for example..

Not sure if that it the true definition of sport. and I have seen or had people try to box us in while we are performing to undermine our performance.  I Still think there is a strong Idea that it is an artistic  sport Shocked

Dance Forum
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »

I think as most of the answer to these type of questions: both Sport and Art.

From your definition, competitive dancing definitely sounded like a sport. I mean, you would need to power of a hundred meter runner - and most likely, you would need the ability to dance at about your peak after five rounds of dancing - that is similar to marathon.

I think when we are talking about techniques, it seems to be easier to compare who is better and who is worse. I mean, everyone would say that Aruna and Katusha have better technique than I do. I think it is relatively easy to say who has better technique.

On the other hand, dancing is also an art - for instance, how to express the music, the rhythm. Those are highly personal. While I do believe that better technique would give a person wider range of expression, I think it is harder to say one is better on the artistic point of view (or at least, it is highly subjective).

my 1 cent
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »

Insert Quote

Sport or art....

gymnastics
diving
synchronised swimming

these are all olympic sports

Hard to say really. I think it's a bit of both.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »

I don't think its an issue whether its an art or not - dancing clearly can be an art form and ballroom is no different.

The question really is 'can it be a sport'?  And the answer I think is most definitely yes - dancers can compete against each other to see who is best.  Thats all thats required for a sport.

The real problem is: can it be judged?  Thats where there has been only limited success because dancing is judged subjectively so its always a matter of opinion. Ice skating and diving got round this problem by rating figures for difficulty - do a difficult figure well and get points for it.  There is no reason ballroom could not do the same - but it would kill the individuality of it which is, I think, what most of us love the most.  Still, its one way to go.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:08:39 PM »

For me a sport requires real time out-manoeuvring of one or more opponents. 

I'm not sure that's a good definition... it leaves out all events where the competitors go one at a time, such as most forms of Alpine skiing, and the field events in track and field (long jump, pole vault, etc.)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »

yes I agree C...

Dancing competes against another, it involves movement and you get hot and sweaty, research has shown that a dancer is fitter than a footballer.

"an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

so how does fishing become a sport? but dancing not. even golf....I remember when my mother had gone in for heart surgery and the recovery booklet indicated that golf does not constitute a sporting activity to improve fitness.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:31:15 AM »

Its an art if you want it to be an art and a sport if you want it to be a sport.  To my mind it can be either - but not both at the same time.

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

Its an art if you want it to be an art and a sport if you want it to be a sport.  To my mind it can be either - but not both at the same time.

Why not both?

It can be a sporty art or an arty sport.  Roll Eyes
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »

I think it can be both at the same time. What the audience perceives might not be the same as what you perceive while dancing. You might be focusing on the sport part of dancing, trying to outdo your competition, but the audience might see your efforts as being very artistic. And vice versa. I think it's a very personal thing, and the definition (sport, art, or both) will vary for each person depending on their motivations or mood.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

Why not both?

It can be a sporty art or an arty sport.  Roll Eyes

I think how badly the words go together tell it all... 
To me a sport is first and formost judgeable.  And an art is first and formost NOT judgeable.
Not good bed fellows...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »

Let's take culinary arts, then place the cook in a show like Iron Chef.  Very physical, timed, and competing against another chef.  Does it become a sport?  I don't have a problem calling it a competition, but I don't know if I'd call it a sport... unless of ofcourse Iron Chef is a sport. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »

Let's take culinary arts, then place the cook in a show like Iron Chef.  Very physical, timed, and competing against another chef.  Does it become a sport?  I don't have a problem calling it a competition, but I don't know if I'd call it a sport... unless of ofcourse Iron Chef is a sport. 
all cats have legs but not all legs are on cats.  all sports have competetive element..

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »

I think we can find many different comparison in favour of both. I think it is an artistic sport. If we go back to the definition of a sport we are a sport but never the twain will meet. Cheesy

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: