partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 11:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Funstuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Etymology Thread ( and Entomology)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Etymology Thread ( and Entomology)  (Read 4154 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 07:46:57 AM »

chagrin
A keen feeling of mental unease, as of annoyance or embarrassment, caused by failure, disappointment, or a disconcerting event: To her chagrin, the party ended just as she arrived.
tr.v. cha·grined, cha·grin·ing, cha·grins
To cause to feel chagrin; mortify or discomfit: He was chagrined at the poor sales of his book. See Synonyms at embarrass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[French, possibly from dialectal French chagraigner, to distress, become gloomy, from Old French graim, sorrowful, gloomy, of Germanic origin.]
Word History: The ultimate etymology of the word chagrin, which comes directly to us from French, is considered uncertain by many etymologists. At one time chagrin was thought to be the same word as shagreen, "a leather or skin with a rough surface," derived from French chagrin. The reasoning was that in French the word for this rough material, which was used to smooth and polish things, was extended to the notion of troubles that fret and annoy a person. It was later decided, however, that the sense "rough leather" and the sense "sorrow" each belonged to a different French word chagrin. Other etymologists have offered an alternative explanation, suggesting that the French word chagrin, "sorrow," is a loan translation of the German word Katzenjammer, "a hangover from drinking." A loan translation is a type of borrowing from another language in which the elements of a foreign word, as in Katzen, "cats," and Jammer, "distress, seediness," are assumed to be translated literally by corresponding elements in another language, in this case, chat, "cat," and grigner, "to grimace." The actual etymology is less colorful, with the word probably going back to a Germanic word, *gram, meaning "sorrow, trouble." Chagrin is first recorded in English in 1656 in the now obsolete sense "anxiety, melancholy

the free dictionary

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

Zappa
Italian: metonymic occupational name for an agricultural laborer, from Italian zappa ‘mattock’, ‘hoe’, or a nickname for a rough, uncultivated person.

Frank: also one of the greatest and most creative musicians of the 20th C. made sure he offended as many people as possible by his irrevernt lyrics.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »

I killed the blue bottle, but I did not touch the tse tse fly...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 04:08:22 AM »

Swahbuckle(r)
1550s, "blustering, swaggering fighting man" (earlier simply swash, 1540s), from swash "fall of a blow" (see swash) + buckler "shield." The original sense seems to have been "one who makes menacing noises by striking his or an opponent's shield."

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 05:20:03 AM »

Swahbuckle(r)
1550s, "blustering, swaggering fighting man" (earlier simply swash, 1540s), from swash "fall of a blow" (see swash) + buckler "shield." The original sense seems to have been "one who makes menacing noises by striking his or an opponent's shield."
We have a few of them in dancing... Undecided

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »

"Tsundere (Huh?)
 (Japanese pronunciation: [ts?nde?e]) is a Japanese character development process which describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing their warm side over time. The word is derived from the terms Tsun Tsun (Huh??) , meaning to turn away in disgust, and Dere Dere (Huh??) meaning to become 'lovey dovey'.1 Originally found in Japanese bish?jo games, the word is now part of the otaku moe phenomenon,2 reaching into other media such as maid cafes, anime, manga, novels, and even mass media. The term was made popular in the game Kimi ga Nozomu Eien."

of course, I need an antonym for this.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »

Or a "Chauoid" in french...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »

I've gotten into a new bizarre habit and need a word for it:  I start imagining what people's skulls would look like.  Yes, its weird and I'm not sure why its happening but somehow it reduces everyone from a person to a hominid and is weirdly amusing.

So what should I call this?  craniophantasy? 

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

I've gotten into a new bizarre habit and need a word for it:  I start imagining what people's skulls would look like.  Yes, its weird and I'm not sure why its happening but somehow it reduces everyone from a person to a hominid and is weirdly amusing.

neanderphilia

ug!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »

neanderphilia

ug!
Which makes me think of adoring slowly sailing down an english river on a barge in the summer.... meanderphilila

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »

neanderphilia

ug!
Which makes me think of adoring slowly sailing down an english river on a barge in the summer.... meanderphilila

a norfolk wherry or a sailingboat would be better..

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »

neanderphilia

ug!

Yes, wonderful memories of drifting down the norfolk broads...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »

neanderphilia

ug!

HOEPFULLY IN A BOAT?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

neanderphilia

ug!

HOEPFULLY IN A BOAT?

yes one of those sailboats with a swing-down mast so that you could get under the low bridges - I thought that was what you were referring to above...
this is the best picture I could find...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »

ah yes I recognise Potter Heigham bridge..been under and over that one a few times..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: