partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 05:43:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Dancesport organizations (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Rising Star Newcomers Circuit
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rising Star Newcomers Circuit  (Read 1036 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »

I've found this when I looked at Nebraska Invitational page. They claim to be part of this chain now.

http://academyballroomint.com/rising_star_circuit.html

Nebraska Invitational is (or was) an independent competition. I did it a couple of years ago, since it's a) not too far from where my teacher and I live b) it had inexpensive entries. The level of competition turned out to be not that challenging for an experienced competitor (so it definitely fits in with newcomer-friendly claims for rising star circuit). I placed 1st in every event I did there, and others from our group said we looked a head above than our competition. Someone also told me that the organizer wasn't too happy that my teacher and his wife decided to bring students, they just wanted them to dance in professional event they had.

I haven't been to any other events listed on Rising star circuit page.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:58:18 PM by ttd » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »

Thanks for this ttd - I for one was unaware.  IT sounds a bit like an organization to compete with the 'dancesport series' axis that now dominates pro-am competition.  I would have to check but I don't think any of these events have DS heats... (perhaps you know)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »

NEI didn't have any. I don't think it was NDCA-sanctioned, either, or followed its regulations. It didn't have that many judges, for example.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »

I looked at some other events listed on that site, and they all are 1-2 days affairs, and seem to be very small, and the ones I looked at closer (the ones within OK driving distance from me, that is) appear to be unaffiliated with NDCA. I wonder how long ago did this circuit start. Perhaps it started not as an alternative to dancesport series, but as a way for those small independent competitions to support each other in face of NDCA push against independent events. Although, I agree with their assertion that these events are more beginner-friendly compared to larger events, such as OSB or even Heart of America.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »

They are a bit like the 'grassroots' comps we were discussing a while back.  I think its a great idea and wish them well.  At the least they will bring more people into ballroom and also into the idea of competition as a fun hobby.  Good luck to them!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: