partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 07:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Dancesport organizations (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  WDC vs WDSF
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: WDC vs WDSF  (Read 9979 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »

Hi there stranger!  What a European tour that was.  How did you both manage to get so much time off?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2014, 03:39:19 AM »

Hi there stranger!  What a European tour that was.  How did you both manage to get so much time off?

we are entitled to 20 days per year annual leave in Australia. and I don't go on leave for 18 months so we can then have up to six weeks. I now pick comps that are on Saturdays so I dont have to take time off of work. I also work through my lunch hours most weeks and my boss then does not mind if I leave early on a Friday to travel. Cheesy 

If I run out then it is leave without pay, but I have not had to do that yet.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »

Having  seen first hand the  two side recently WDC  is struggling. the WDSF comps were far better attended, if I went to the UK perhaps it may be different. The styling is becoming completely different between the two and in Australia dancing is very much along te lines of WDC hence we having better success in WDC comps. In WDSF they did not look at us at all.  Undecided

We have consulted both our major coaches and have introduced some moved that should not comprise either camps  but it does become harder to make the switch between the two. I feel there are things that WDSF must pull back and quickstep is one, it is just scatter chasses and hops and run.  Nothing artistic about it at all. You may have seen some of my videos. I wont go down that path.

The amount of Eastern block dancers is huge! and mostly WDSF

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »

we are entitled to 20 days per year annual leave in Australia. and I don't go on leave for 18 months so we can then have up to six weeks. I now pick comps that are on Saturdays so I dont have to take time off of work. I also work through my lunch hours most weeks and my boss then does not mind if I leave early on a Friday to travel. Cheesy 

If I run out then it is leave without pay, but I have not had to do that yet.
You must have a great new boss too then.  How do you pick them Smiley

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »

BTW, love your avatar!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »

BTW, love your avatar!

thanks for that. it is an oldie but a goodie. Cheesy

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »

I agree that I think the WDSF may be going a little over the top.  Perhaps a passing fad or maybe the young people are just a bit too enthusiastic. 
On the whole the only places where the WDC is picking up is in the States, Australia and they are trying to get more into Canada though it is in its infancy here.  In Europe they never really caught on so they are looking westward since the WDSF saw the rest of us as 3rd world dance nations not worth putting the effort into.  We have the same problem here in Canada that you have two cities that get everything and the rest of the country is a big oh well.  Anyway, this gave the WDC a place to hang up their shingle and try for a power play.  Now the WDSF has realized they dropped the ball and ignored the rest of us and are now planning to help support Canada and the States.  I am not sure what is going on with Australia as in if the WDSF is going to step up to the plate and take care of their far off children like they should have.   The Canadian rep is going to head the WDSF in N. America I believe and they are going to try and up the game to try and push back the WDC. The Pro circuit is now being organized and will be up and running once they get everything in place.  They need to get some Pro reps for on the Executive and such and get the structure sorted out and so on.  I would say it will not be until the start of next summer until we see the first big Pro WDSF comps in the West but if they can get it worked out then it may be sooner.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 12:01:27 AM »

The WDSF has also improved the grading of the judges so that they weed out the judges who do not make the grade.  It will  be much harder to become a judge and to judge at a higher level especially.  We shall see very shortly when the Canadian Dance Federation (CDF) folds and is absorbed into the North American Dance Council if they take the judges from the CDF or not.  Some of the judges that are allowed to judge up to Championship level have been given their judging papers with no testing or much qualifications at all.
I don't disagree with some of the judges they are allowing to judge but others have no qualifications and have been allowed to judge because they have been around a long time as a teacher, even low level teachers.  No testing, no going up through the levels as a judge, just given the go ahead to judge up to Championship.  The WDSF has been made aware of some of these judges and will not allow them to judge WDSF competitions and I am hoping that the WDC doesn't grandfather them in without even bothering to check their credentials.  Some of the judges were given their judging papers by people that were not even certified to give out judging papers. This does not bode well for the WDC credibility if they don't check into each judge to be sure the standards are met before being allowed in to their organization.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 04:23:00 AM »

I agree that I think the WDSF may be going a little over the top.  Perhaps a passing fad or maybe the young people are just a bit too enthusiastic. 

Passing fad?  Its been developing over the years to the point it is now de-rigour.  IMO the WDSF, however democratic its organization (which I am not convinced about) is destroying standard ballroom dance.  [I can't say for latin.]  I don't like to watch it anymore, no insistence on grace or expression - just who can do more contortions while moving at lightning speed.

it reminds me of ice skating - the WDC is the free program and the WDSF the compulsory figures.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2014, 05:09:55 AM »

WDSF profile is very limited although we have had a few major events pin conjunction with the Aussies in December. but in General you are right WDC  has the market. But there is only one comp Luna Park which is marketed as WDC AL comp/. We had one comp on the week-end which was a Freedom to Dance Comp held by Donna and Alan Shingler.

I just think we are too far away for either-side to really care :-/

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »

WDSF profile is very limited although we have had a few major events pin conjunction with the Aussies in December. but in General you are right WDC  has the market. But there is only one comp Luna Park which is marketed as WDC AL comp/. We had one comp on the week-end which was a Freedom to Dance Comp held by Donna and Alan Shingler.

I just think we are too far away for either-side to really care :-/
lucky you...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2014, 01:30:18 AM »

Interesting enough while the WDSF lets judges judge where they wish and for whom the Canadian WDC group will not allow judges to judge for anyone else but them.  They will punish any judge who judges outside of the WDC.  The members were not given any choice or allowed to make decisions.  They are even trying to tell some comp organzers what they can do at their competitions.   This is what I was afraid of, going from the frying pan to the fire.  What happened to FREEDOM to dance and allowing people to chose where they wanted to go??  All the bitching and preaching and going on and now they turn around and do the same thing now that it is to their advantage?  Worse really since you are affecting people's making a living.  I am so discouraged that when it came down to it they are putting money over the dance.  I was told it was going to be different and a democratic system but this is not happening and they just got started.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:27:12 AM by Rugby » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: