partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 02:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Dancesport organizations (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  WDC vs WDSF
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: WDC vs WDSF  (Read 8666 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if they had competitions judged by each other's judges?  It would be so interesting to see who won....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »

In a way it has kind of happened since there are judges that are in both organizations so judge for both.  Of course, and thus the reason dancing will not get into the Olympics any time soon, I have heard in some cases that the judges favour the couples, who say were from WDC in a WDSF comps or vice versa, that they themselves were more aligned with.  I am sure QPO has seen or heard of this too.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 05:33:22 PM »

But they could do that without actual bias since the two orgs seem to favour different styles - at least for standard.  Is that also true for latin?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »

Some couples and judges have gone back and forth or compete / judge in both WDSF and WDC so hard to say how much they change styles / judging depending on whose comp they are in /judging.  I find the WDSF more flamboyant but I could be wrong.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »

WDCF it seems the emphasis is more on athletic and less on elegance and the WDC the other way round - at least in standard.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2014, 04:34:10 AM »

Yes, I have noticed this too.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »

You can see how the judges might not see eye to eye Shocked

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

I think in the lower levels there won't be much of a difference.  In the upper Open levels when you are putting in more musicality and styling that there could be more of a styling bias.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »

I think that makes sense.  But its more than styling now, at the extreme its a choice between gymnastics and art.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »

Yep.  For me I think the Latin is getting a little too hard.  It is nice to have slows and quicks but now everything is becoming just quick and sharp.  I was watching the Pros and then the Youth and Adult Amateur and I like the Pros more.  Not because their skill and understanding is better but because they show more contrasts and technique and musicality whereas I find the Youth and Adult Ams are out to be as fast and athletic at the sacrifice of the dance and the girl / guy relationship.  Of course someone else could see something completely different.  I don't mind the Standard but I have noticed that they Pros use the newer faster head shapes and lines as accents rather than everywhere like the Youth / Adult Ams.  I'm working on the new head styling and shaping myself but I don't want to go crazy with it or you end up with not seeing the action as something special or a highlight any more.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »

Above everything I look for grace in Standard dancing.  Sorry, but I don't see much of it in the WDSF athletic style.  I want Torville and Dean to touch my heart..

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 11:06:51 PM »

I must admit that I see dancing as 75% art and 25% athletics.  I want to see the grace and beauty of two bodies moving as one to the music.  Not just any music but the music that is playing.  In this I mean that every waltz should be different depending on the waltz being played and such with the other dances.  The bodies are kind of an equalizer that reflects the music, or, as one hip hop studio in my subdivision says, sound in motion.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2014, 07:52:50 AM »

So I see it as 60% art 40% emotion.  Athletics is only a tool that allow you to achieve those two goals and should never really be noticed.  Indeed, if I do notice it I mark the couple down as having to try too hard.

Its like playing in tune.  Music is not nice if out of tune - but if you play perfectly so you sound no different from a simulated MP3.  You have to generate an in-tune note with nuances of expression (meaning going out of tune).  I don't want to think 'wow that person is playing in tune'  I want to think 'wow that person is expressing the music so well'.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »

Yes, musicality is very important.  I agree with what you are saying.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »

In a way it has kind of happened since there are judges that are in both organizations so judge for both.  Of course, and thus the reason dancing will not get into the Olympics any time soon, I have heard in some cases that the judges favour the couples, who say were from WDC in a WDSF comps or vice versa, that they themselves were more aligned with.  I am sure QPO has seen or heard of this too.

Hey ladies. so for waiting for a response. Internet was not good while traveling. but the divide is well entrenched here and judges penalise dancers depending on their preference. We also had that in Europe too. Our results were much better at at ADC comp than WDSF.

I will write more later about my expereince

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: