partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 06:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Dancesport organizations (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  WDC vs WDSF
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: WDC vs WDSF  (Read 10034 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: September 03, 2011, 03:58:05 AM »

Not sure what is happening on the other side of the world but in Australia this fight is raging big time.

I personally am not 100% sure what the problem is but  boy many people are in the middle of a cat fight over the two different organisations. From my limited understanding the WDSF is the cause of it all (I dont know if this is true).

we have had two couples banned from participating in the Worlds in Singapore (WDSF), Denmark made the complaint as the two couples had participated in a non sanctioned WSDF event last year which I believe was run by the BDC part of the WDC.

everyone here who follows the WDC are vehemently against the WDSF who are going down the sport associated path and the WDC seem it as an art. What confuses me is who gave one group the right to speak for all dancers and should we have not had a chance to choose who would be the dominant one.

Those that do know have much knowledge of the power struggles just see what's the problem people let us dance where we want to, but no this is not the case you have to decided which league you are going to belong to and if you dance for one you cant dance for the other sides comp.

Sigh Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Meow
Intermediate Bronze

Relax and breathe...

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:58:12 AM »

The banning of certain couples and the eviction of Matt and Anna from the Aust C/ships has been apparently caused due to the conflict between WDSF & WDC.

The furore regarding the Australian Open Dancesport Championships is continuing. For information please go to

ACDA - AUSTRALIAN COMPETITIVE DANCERS ASSOCIATION on FB

There is an article in the Australian Dance Review which has apparently enflamed the situation.  It is available through the above site if requested.

Leaving my paw prints where ever I go
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:52 AM »

wel the governing bodies of each group need to get to geter to solve this as Dancer just want to dance...whether  it is WDC or WDSF is not my issue but if I want to dance internationally it will have to be my problem.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:50 PM »

Good news from Canada Dancesport -

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »

I have  heard that dancers who ere banned have to apply to be unbanned...which I find rather silly as they never asked to be banned in the first place.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »

I have  heard that dancers who ere banned have to apply to be unbanned...which I find rather silly as they never asked to be banned in the first place.

Its called 'saving face' - anything else and they would have to openly admit they were wrong to ban them.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:26 AM »

Its called 'saving face' - anything else and they would have to openly admit they were wrong to ban them.

well I wonder how many will apply

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:01:00 AM »

well I wonder how many will apply
Interesting question - I had assumed they all would but maybe people don't care any more.  Maybe they think it won't make any difference, they can dance anyway - for to stop them would be to continue the ban...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »

They are still trying to influence the direction of membership. We have had to get a WDSF passport (photo ID) to dance in Europe. So will they then try to use it against us if we decided to Dance Blackpool? I can see it coming. Undecided

Also friends who are register in both  Australia & New Zealand, recently received a letter to say that they could not dance at the Aussies in a few weeks time because they did not register with WDSF, but the organizers were informed that they are registered with Dancesport in Australia and so they can. They are not high end dancers either, so I see a bumpy year ahead.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »

Maybe one group could buy out the other - OTOH maybe its healthier to have two then we don't get the monopoly syndrome...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »

I agree, better to have two to try and keep them from becoming too much of a monopoly which is what I believe has been the problem in the past.

If you belong to your local WDSF affiliate you should be able to dance in every competition including WDC ones without retribution.  If you are not a WDSF member then of course you may not qualify for an event that is for WDSF members only like a National qualifier (or here Provincial and National qualifer) since it is to find the top dancers to represent the Nation in the WDSF World Champs.  If the people did not register with the Australian branch of the WDSF they would not be able to compete since it is a Closed competition for WDSF members.  All other WDSF competitions would be open for anyone to dance in. What they could do is join both organizations, as you can do here in Canada, then you are allowed to dance in everything.

By taking away the ban in a way it weakens the WDC since then there is no reason to join them.  By being with the WDSF you can dance in any competition you want.  The WDC will not stop you or then they will fall victim to what they were complaining about the WDSF doing.  Being in the WDC you can dance in any competition you want except for Qualifiiers for the WDSF World Champs since it is an only for WDSF members only comp.
Of course this will not go well with the WDC and it will be WDC judges rewarding WDC people over the WDSF people in WDC comps that will get people to feel they are forced to join both.  Now both groups get their bucks and membership numbers.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:37:30 AM »

I missed something then R: has Canadian dancesport now endorsed membership in both organizations? 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

We have our WDSF licence and also dance WDC if we can. I will not play to politics..

Having said that we have had our nomination approved to represent Australia at the Seniors III comp in Antwerp, that is exciting Cheesy

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »

No, just saying that everyone is free to join whom they want and if a dancer would like to be in both they can do that.  For we amateurs it is not worth joining the WDC since with the freedom to dance being in WDSF you can dance in everything whereas with WDC at this time you will not be able to be the representives for your country at the World Championships since you will not be able to go into a Closed to WDSF comp unless you have a WDSF memberships.  I believe only 5 couples have gotten a WDC membership and I think they may end up getting both to be able to go into the Ontario Closed.  We shall see how it plays out and if they will be allowed in without the membership.  Things are going to change and right now most studios want the ODS and their provincial equivalents to oversee the competitions so some rules will be established, checked and enforced.  If not then you will have people dropping levels, not moving up when they are supposed to and other such violations if nobody is watching.  You would be very surprised how the studios keep an eagle eye out on the other studios and watch that the rules are being enforced and how people do try and bend the rules left, right and center.  There are more hands in the want to be in control pot then just the WDSF and WDC. Over all I think the Pros and Amateurs are trying to get along and also the WDC and WDSF are trying to as well since all parties see that a war will only be conflict and problems for all including the competitors.  The battles in the U.S. and Australia has not gone un-noticed and we are all trying to avoid that happening here.  Right now there is a calm and we are trying to avoid a storm.  The good thing is that the people representing the WDSF and the WDC have all known each other for quite some time and all have worked together many times so this helps to keep the truce.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »

*bump*   Somebody please help me understand the great divide.

And does anybody have video of what folks have been talking about -- i.e. one organization encouraging more conservative dance than the other?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: