partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 12:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Opinions on the Viennese Waltz Steps
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Opinions on the Viennese Waltz Steps  (Read 4614 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 03:41:07 AM »

Spiral - thanks for putting it so well - I feel the same... Seems that VW is destined to be a QS-three step!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »

I'm not against dances evolving and changing with time. A bit of exploration and experimentation is good, that's the only way you can discover something better. But having said that, VW was one of my favorite dances to watch. I loved it's simplicity and loved watching dancers fly across the floor uninterrupted (I secretly wish fleckerls would be outlawed).

I wonder if this means the end of the simple VW. If everyone else is doing fancy steps, can you still win doing basics? Or would you have to follow everyone else to be competitive?

I feel very conflicted about this...

I would say that you can still win with good quality dancing. From what I have seen of the "new steps" none of them are done to the quality that should win. I would go as far as to say that the step are totally out of character of the dance and should be marked last if danced.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »

I'm not against dances evolving and changing with time. A bit of exploration and experimentation is good, that's the only way you can discover something better. But having said that, VW was one of my favorite dances to watch. I loved it's simplicity and loved watching dancers fly across the floor uninterrupted (I secretly wish fleckerls would be outlawed).

I wonder if this means the end of the simple VW. If everyone else is doing fancy steps, can you still win doing basics? Or would you have to follow everyone else to be competitive?

I feel very conflicted about this...

I would say that you can still win with good quality dancing. From what I have seen of the "new steps" none of them are done to the quality that should win. I would go as far as to say that the step are totally out of character of the dance and should be marked last if danced.

DSV

Interesting.  DSV: Can you conceive of any steps that could be added and actually enhance VW?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »

Interesting.  DSV: Can you conceive of any steps that could be added and actually enhance VW?

I would say that "Spin-Pivots" and "Change Step" done continuously would be in character with the VW. There might also be some steps from American Style that would work provided the can be done in closed position. I think it would be an idea to look at American Style for ideas as that has been around for a long time and they tried and has found out what works and what doesn't work. I think that would be better than trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
drj
Bronze

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »

At the Dance Legends show this weekend, the "new" Viennese choreography showed up. In a showdance, it was interesting to watch. I still can't see how it could be incorporated successfully into a competition, but I can understand why dancers who think of themselves as "athletes" rather than dancers would find it appealing. You get to do more, and more interesting, choreography, just as Smooth dancers have done for ages.

The truly odd Viennese Waltz moment at Dance Legends was danced to a piece of music in 4/4 time. Not 12/8, which happens often, but  4/4. I found it disturbing.

ancora imparo
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »

I think I have mentioned this before I am not against change but in the VW I dont see the advantages of doing so.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »

when we were in Europe I saw more of the new steps being incorporated in the WDSF competitions. I am yet to be convinced that they are needed.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »

when we were in Europe I saw more of the new steps being incorporated in the WDSF competitions. I am yet to be convinced that they are needed.

But think of all the extra lessons that will be sold Tongue Tongue Undecided

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 04:03:36 AM »

well that is always on the cards as well.

Shocked

Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

Well, as someone who dances both american and international styles, I really don't see what's the big deal about at least attempting to expand VW choreography. We have some closed-hold work in our american VW. I guarantee you that we do more than reverses and naturals. And we do it on the competition floor. So I am not buying the idea that standard dancers will be somehow unable to make it look good.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »

Well, as someone who dances both american and international styles, I really don't see what's the big deal about at least attempting to expand VW choreography. We have some closed-hold work in our american VW. I guarantee you that we do more than reverses and naturals. And we do it on the competition floor. So I am not buying the idea that standard dancers will be somehow unable to make it look good.

Oh I don't think it will be about the ability to make it look good, what will the etiquette be, with those traveling around the floor doing naturals reverses and change steps to have to avoid someone who will all of a sudden stop to do a new move? Should the new move also be done in the middle like the flekerl  (sorry not sure if the spelling is correct).

Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »

Oh I don't think it will be about the ability to make it look good, what will the etiquette be, with those traveling around the floor doing naturals reverses and change steps to have to avoid someone who will all of a sudden stop to do a new move? Should the new move also be done in the middle like the flekerl  (sorry not sure if the spelling is correct).
I don't really care. Whatever works to avoid the collision, I guess. Even now, couples who travel more have to get around couples who travel less while doing same reverses and naturals. Somehow they figure out how to do it (at least the good ones do).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 01:41:25 AM »

Q raises an excellent point.  Up to now VW has been a dance in which the dancer pretty much knew where everyone else is - either proceeding (on theedge) or doing figures (in the middle).  That means that even though fast, floorcraft was secondary to grace and elegance.  Contrast that to QS in which has its crazy and unpredictable element in which floorcraft remains a major factor- often at the cost of ease and elegance.

Adding the steps basically makes VW into a three-beat QS and I think thats what I dislike the most.  IMO we've lost something that defines what Standard dancing is all about.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 02:25:13 AM »

I don't really care. Whatever works to avoid the collision, I guess. Even now, couples who travel more have to get around couples who travel less while doing same reverses and naturals. Somehow they figure out how to do it (at least the good ones do).

I know that is true but you still have an element of which direction they are going to move around the floor. I have seen some of the new steps and they do their fancy bit into the corner and then people try to pass them and they come out.. looks messy. I am not saying they should not but still best to do it iin the middle and keep out of peoples way.

Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »

I know that is true but you still have an element of which direction they are going to move around the floor. I have seen some of the new steps and they do their fancy bit into the corner and then people try to pass them and they come out.. looks messy. I am not saying they should not but still best to do it iin the middle and keep out of peoples way.
Happens all the time in other dances. I just don't see what's the big deal about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: