partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Opinions on the Viennese Waltz Steps
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Opinions on the Viennese Waltz Steps  (Read 4571 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »

I wondered about that... I was looking at some Blackpool videos recently and I don't recall seeing any couples doing that.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »

I'm just amazed that the world champion amateurs were off time, danced against the line of dance on at least one occasion on a completely empty floor, and people think this choreography is acceptable.  If the world champions are having timing and floorcraft issues on an empty floor you can only imagine the chaos at the lower levels on crowded floors.  This is a train wreck in slow motion.  Can you imagine a couple stopping and going into a left whisk during a Viennese (or any other stationary step from the new repertoire).  Can anyone say 12-couple pile up?!  

I can admit that some of it can be added in but definitely not all of it.  Pivots have been thrown in here and there even at competitions, for example. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:00:19 PM by Some guy » Logged
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »

I see this as a work in progress. I think some of the patterns they used worked better than others, and some of it is definitely easier than a fleckerel, and looks cool. I personally like the double ronde move I've done in tango and waltz. I think it fits in. Also standard VW as it is now, is missing an opportunity to take a breather, a pattern involving a hesitation of some sort (i.e. an oversway), would fill that gap.
drj
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »

<snip>you can only imagine the chaos at the lower levels on crowded floors.  This is a train wreck in slow motion.  Can you imagine a couple stopping and going into a left whisk during a Viennese (or any other stationary step from the new repertoire).  Can anyone say 12-couple pile up?!

I don't need to imagine it. I can go to any social and find some people doing standard VW and some doing Smooth at the same time, and train wrecks happen. Chaos indeed.

I can admit that some of it can be added in but definitely not all of it.  Pivots have been thrown in here and there even at competitions, for example. 

I love doing pivots in VW. They progress. You're still moving. And it's way fun to do them at that speed. <fans self>

ancora imparo
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »

need to regroup with the VW. we are getting our other dances under control but seem not yet to have mastered this one. In defence it is one that we have spent the least time on. but next year we will have to do it more.

what I find different is the connection. I come into the man to take up position but I feel once connect that I am back weighted and feel like it is one step away from being out of control. Also I feel that we go to fast.

Any suggestions how to keep the correct connection?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 12:46:55 AM »

Tough one to fix online as everything is interrelated.  If you feel backweighted you are probably not projecting your frame forward and to the left enough - and the same with your partner.  But maybe someone else has an idea...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 02:40:40 AM »

could be...... with have a comp tomorrow, will see what happens. We have been working hard on our  connections with other dances, instead of driving down line of dance I think sometimes we are rotating too much. watching a video from Lucca & Lorraine it appears to be the case....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »

could be...... with have a comp tomorrow, will see what happens. We have been working hard on our  connections with other dances, instead of driving down line of dance I think sometimes we are rotating too much. watching a video from Lucca & Lorraine it appears to be the case....
Thats definitely the number one error in VW - you shold really feel as if you are stepping along the line of dance.  Its the best example of 'he goes, she goes'.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

Thats definitely the number one error in VW - you shold really feel as if you are stepping along the line of dance.  Its the best example of 'he goes, she goes'.
Also the best example of the Round School of thought.  Not that the tip of the pyramid isn't shared.  All doors to the same house.  Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »

Also the best example of the Round School of thought.  Not that the tip of the pyramid isn't shared.  All doors to the same house.  Grin

How wold you descibe it as then SG?

drj
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:13 PM »

<bump>

I just saw my first YT video of high-level professionals doing the newly-expanded VW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XdGDazMZz8

Good heavens.

ancora imparo
samina
Silver

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »

<bump>

I just saw my first YT video of high-level professionals doing the newly-expanded VW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XdGDazMZz8

Good heavens.
the going-against-the-line-of-dance bit was rather shocking...

it seems to make for a more exciting VW, but wasn't the whole point of standard VW the incredible sense of ease & upliftment it conveys to the audience when it is done well?

i don't have a yay or nay either way...just commenting generally. but i'm sure it's fun & interesting for dancers to incorporate something new and more variety.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »

we have got rather set in our ways....  are we up to change?

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:25 AM »

How wold you descibe it as then SG?

The couple swinging backwards and forwards.
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 02:05:50 AM »

I'm not against dances evolving and changing with time. A bit of exploration and experimentation is good, that's the only way you can discover something better. But having said that, VW was one of my favorite dances to watch. I loved it's simplicity and loved watching dancers fly across the floor uninterrupted (I secretly wish fleckerls would be outlawed).

I wonder if this means the end of the simple VW. If everyone else is doing fancy steps, can you still win doing basics? Or would you have to follow everyone else to be competitive?

I feel very conflicted about this...

To thy self dance true --elisedance
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: