partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  "Energy" Versus "Physical"
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: "Energy" Versus "Physical"  (Read 2101 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »

They learned from Walter Laird, so I would say, "yes". 
mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »

Thank you Some guy!
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »

you know he a wealth of information! Cool

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »

So, am wondering if I can get some people's eyes and opinions...would love to hear what others "see" in this vid (especially SG Smiley ) as far as Energy vs. Physical.

This vid of Bryan & Carmen was recently posted on another forum as an example of how Bryan's dancing kicks Slavik's & co's butt. But when I look at it, he seems heavy & labored in his movement, and he falls out of line or appears sloppy to me, as if he's not managing his balance or his weight well.

It seems like this could be an example of Energy vs. Physical. Or perhaps it's just a learning opportunity for me...

What do you see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnUZu8oiXUs
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:41:10 AM by samina » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »

So, am wondering if I can get some people's eyes and opinions...would love to hear what others "see" in this vid (especially SG Smiley ) as far as Energy vs. Physical.

This vid of Bryan & Carmen was recently posted on another forum as an example of how Bryan's dancing kicks Slavik's & co's butt. But when I look at it, he seems heavy & labored in his movement, and he falls out of line or appears sloppy to me, as if he's not managing his balance or his weight well.

It seems like this could be an example of Energy vs. Physical. Or perhaps it's just a learning opportunity for me...

What do you see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnUZu8oiXUs
I see only energy, no physical.  Slavik makes ballroom look like ballet, it's pretty to watch, no doubt.  I know a pro standard dancer who, by himself, or when he takes hold with his partner, looks better than any finalist there ever was.  However, he can only pose from beat to beat, he can't dance.  Ballroom dancing is about the couple, the connection between the partnership, and the energy you can produce together.  It doesn't necessarily mean "eye contact", it's the use of the common center, progressive centering, as well as directed energy. Slavik is probably the best looking dancer there ever was, but he's not the best partner dancer there ever was and his use of common center and progressive centering is nowhere near as good as Bryan's.  Does Bryan look as pretty in isolation?  My opinion is that he does not.  However, ballroom dancing to music and posing to each beat of the music are two very different things.  I'm not saying that Slavik only poses, I'm just saying that Bryan is better at the "dancing" aspect of it, and that's what got him to the top 9 times.  Would love to hear DRJ's opinion on this too, since Samina, DRJ, and I frequently see things very differently, or very similarly.   Grin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:38:01 PM by Some guy » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

Cool, thank you, SG...I very much appreciate your input!

I remember my primary instructor saying that when he was younger he admired Slavik, but as he matured as a dancer it was Bryan who he admired most of all (in Latin, anyway).

I think I will spend some time watching Bryan's videos to acclimate my eyes to his energy and see what there is to see. There's always so much to watch for when making a study of such things...the partnering, as you've highlighted, as well as their feet, their connection, the exchange of masculine and feminine energies...and I'll be watching for more discernment regarding energy vs. physical.

Thanks again...
drj
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »

I see only energy, no physical.  <snip>  Would love to hear DRJ's opinion on this too, since Samina, DRJ, and I frequently see things very differently, or very similarly.   Grin

you rang? Wink

Yup, differently again. Sorry, Sami, but as much as I love you, I can take or leave Slavik, but I can't take my eyes off Brian. All energy, perhaps, versus all planning/care/technique. I am not well versed in Latin technique, nor can I point to a place in the vid and say, "Here! Brian was off balance/sloppy/labored here!" nor can I say "here! Slavik was using the common center here!" But I can't take my eyes off Brian, and there is that in him that reaches out to me and gathers me in; Slavik repels. And no, that's not too strong a word. My eyes bounce away from him, when I'm watching his videos. In person may be different; I dunno.

ancora imparo
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »

Cool, thank you, SG...I very much appreciate your input!
You asked!  I respond!... just like ballroom dancing!  Smiley

I remember my primary instructor saying that when he was younger he admired Slavik, but as he matured as a dancer it was Bryan who he admired most of all (in Latin, anyway).
Same for me.  I used to admire Slavik and a bunch of others.  I always liked Bryan but Slavik was the epitome to me.  Then things changed radically.
drj
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:02 AM »

gods walking the earth. so much energy on that floor, I'm surprised the lights didn't explode from the overload. but you can't tell me it's not also physical as all getout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AxQ4uycD8E&feature=fvwrel

perhaps I'm the only person in this community who never encountered this video before now. lucky me; I got to see it for the first time now! I think I'll watch it about a thousand more times, just to keep the contact high.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:09:43 AM by drj » Logged

ancora imparo
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »

gods walking the earth. so much energy on that floor, I'm surprised the lights didn't explode from the overload. but you can't tell me it's not also physical as all getout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AxQ4uycD8E&feature=fvwrel

perhaps I'm the only person in this community who never encountered this video before now.
You haven't seen it before?!  Oh wow!  You sure were missing out!

It is physical, but it's different when the duality of mind and body is removed.  When you reach for a glass of water, you have one thought on your mind: to grab the glass of water.  We operate in "energy"  most of our lives.  Driving a car: we only think we need to go faster and our accelerator foot automatically gives us the desired speed.  We only think we need to brake and our body takes care of the rest.  What is meant by "physical" to me, as in the physical schools of thought, is when the thought exists, but then the brain starts to think about all the actions and muscles required to carry out the thought.  If you ask a physical dancer how to do a Rumba walk, they will explain it in avid detail.  However, if you ask them how they got out of bed, they will usually say, "I have no idea" because they never once stopped to analyze how they did that.  When leading a lady, in the energy schools, there's one thought: make the lady do a throwaway oversway.  In the physical schools, there is the idea of the throwaway oversway, then the brain shifts to thinking about all the actions required to produce that throwaway oversway.  Hence the reason it's not uncommon for Body School dancers, the first time around, to respond "I have no idea", when you ask them exactly how they did something they just did whether it's on the dance floor or off.     
drj
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »

You haven't seen it before?!  Oh wow!  You sure were missing out!

It is physical, but it's different when the duality of mind and body is removed.  <snip> What is meant by "physical" to me, as in the physical schools of thought, is when the thought exists, but then the brain starts to think about all the actions and muscles required to carry out the thought.      

I understand that.  I see Thinking going on here, if I look closely. It's unusual for me to see that in Pino, in particular, imho. But I do see it. It seems like an overlay over the energy.

YMMV, obviously.

I think I'll go watch it again.

ancora imparo
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »

It is physical, but it's different when the duality of mind and body is removed.  When you reach for a glass of water, you have one thought on your mind: to grab the glass of water.  We operate in "energy"  most of our lives.  Driving a car: we only think we need to go faster and our accelerator foot automatically gives us the desired speed.  We only think we need to brake and our body takes care of the rest.  What is meant by "physical" to me, as in the physical schools of thought, is when the thought exists, but then the brain starts to think about all the actions and muscles required to carry out the thought.  If you ask a physical dancer how to do a Rumba walk, they will explain it in avid detail.  However, if you ask them how they got out of bed, they will usually say, "I have no idea" because they never once stopped to analyze how they did that.  When leading a lady, in the energy schools, there's one thought: make the lady do a throwaway oversway.  In the physical schools, there is the idea of the throwaway oversway, then the brain shifts to thinking about all the actions required to produce that throwaway oversway.  Hence the reason it's not uncommon for Body School dancers, the first time around, to respond "I have no idea", when you ask them exactly how they did something they just did whether it's on the dance floor or off.      

In the Body School of Thought there is physical action just as there is in the Physical Schools. In the Body School of Thought as SG says it, there is no thought of what the muscle does to perform the task. The end result/task is the main focus and the body just does what it has to do to get the job done with minimum effort. The Physicals Schools work hard to get the job done and they think of every action needed to get the job done. To move the body does take physical effort. I don’t think that can be disputed. It is more about how much does the body do to get the job done or is it working super efficient and getting the job done with very little effort.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »

I understand this. Grin....I feel our dancing is moving to this level. Especially in our Waltz and Foxtrot...the others are not free flowing yet but if e can do it with both W & F I am sure we can do the same, it is trusting in yourself and the knowledge you have gained from your lessons.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: