partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 12:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116442 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  "Energy" Versus "Physical"
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "Energy" Versus "Physical"  (Read 2103 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« on: August 08, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »

I came across an interesting couple.  The man is "Energy", the lady is "Physical".  While the physical style has been attributed to progressive and invisible stress and injuries it seem like sometimes the risk is immediate and very visible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23BAVWNCO0

I'm trying to find more couples that mix the two broad schools of thought: Energy and Physical.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:29:25 PM by Some guy » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »

Here's another couple that mixes the two schools.  The man is "Energy", the lady is "Physical" like the previous couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsZXPwAAKQ8

It seems like I notice the lady's feet a lot more and I don't see her use her centre as much as the man does.  I wonder if the words "Energy" and "Physical" directly translates to "Being" and "Doing".  The man seems to be a lot more musical than the lady.  This lady was a world champion several times, so I expected her to be better.  I think what is lacking is a dynamic between the couple.  She seem to be merely following rendering it unable for him to use her for movement. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:42:46 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:44:26 PM »

Fascinating SG.  And I could see what you meant instantly.  One must admit that physical can be exciting - but thats probably because you see someone living on the edge and the excitement is that they might just go right over.  Which couple 1 follow did (its satisfying in the contrary way a boxing knockout or racing car crash is).  Hopefully we can do better.

I agree entirely in your analysis too - its about core.  But to me its a bit more, core and 'grounded'.  The energy emantes from the core but the core seems to flow from the ground, bit like a tree with its deep roots, strong yet pliant stem and branches that can move in the wind without ever seeming to stress the core.  If you excuse me being prosaic!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »

I agree Elise, "Energy" is all about the flow of chi and for the chi to flow one has to be grounded.  I agree, "Physical" can be exciting in its own way, but with "Energy" it seems that the partnership can achieve a movement and dynamic greater than the mere of it's parts.  You're also very correct in that it's all about the core in the "Energy" realm.  Chi, grounded, use of centre, they are all a very big part of the Energy school.  Grounding is also a big part of the Physical schools but the way to achieve it is very different, and unfortunately, it requires one to be a slave to the floor one is dancing on (like the lady in the first video demonstrated).

Here a video of the guy above, dancing with his previous partner (so they're both "Energy" dancers in this video).  The dynamic is very different, with him able to use her for movement and actually getting the chance to follow what he led.  Also, her feet and legs are a lot less noticeable since she's using her centre for movement.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vS8ppYBon0&playnext=1&list=PL5F169A8AE4D7BF44
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:57:45 PM by Some guy » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »

Can a couple who both have learnt the same school of thought come out with differing results due the a difference in musicality? One can interpret the music better than the other.

I have noticed that most partnerships are not equal in ability, and those that receive greatness, generally do so  because the partnership is equal.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 02:06:50 PM »

Yes QPO, the differing musicality is due to the fact that in the Physical schools the lady and man are both in charge of timing.  So it's possible to get two different interpretations of musicality in one partnership.  That's one of the reasons they have to practice for hours together to synchronize their bodies to each other.  In the Energy schools, timing is the man job, so the partnership will have one interpretation as you can see in the second video of Augusto (with Catarina).  Practicing can be done separately as the jobs of the man and lady are non-intersecting and different.

When you mix Energy and Physical schools, it depends who is following which school.  Energy man and Physical lady will have that timing glitch in the partnership unless perfectly synchronized.  You can see in the first Latin video how the lady is unable to synchronize back to the man after her fall as I'm sure it wasn't something they rehearsed.  The fall was daunting, no doubt, but you can see she's trying to figure out what steps and where in the choreography to start from. If it were Energy school it would be the man's responsibility to get her dancing again and you wouldn't see her trying to figure out what to do.  

As far as mixing the schools go, Physical man and Energy lady will create a more musical partnership as the lady will look to the man for interpretation of the timing, direction, power, and steps.    
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:15:23 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »

So is 'energy school' another or complimentary name for the 'body school' we've discussed so much here?  Or is the latter a specific type of 'energy school'?

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »

So is 'energy school' another or complimentary name for the 'body school' we've discussed so much here?  Or is the latter a specific type of 'energy school'?
Four sides of the pyramid: two Energy sides (Body and Square) and two Physical sides of the pyramid (Round and Traditional).   
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »

we need to revisit the 'schools' topic and add diagrams!

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »

I'll make it easy for you Elise.  I'll bring the relevant information here:

It has come to my attention that there are some things that I need to make clear. I have received numerous emails and had students call me in regard to this subject.

It doesn’t matter what School of Thought you are, you must be able to stand on your own two feet in all of them. If the Schools of Thought are split into two groups then you will have the Physical Schools (Traditional and Round) and the Energy Schools (Body and Square)

Physical Schools:
In the Physical Schools both the male and the female needs to know the routines, the timing, the power and the direction. They are often seen practicing in shadow (also called “Shadow Dancing”) so that they get in sync with each other at all times. They therefore dance the same steps at the same time, in the same direction and with the same power. They believe and practice using “in-sync dancing” or “shadow dancing” to stay together and being a team.

Energy Schools
In the Energy Schools both the male and the female have each their separate jobs. They spend majority of their time practicing separate and only get together to test if they are able to work each their separate jobs. They are often seen doing drills by themselves and dancing solo. When they do dance together then they use the action/respond system (man=action/lady=respond or lady=action/man=respond). The actions that are done are then responded to by the partner using their separate jobs.

Conclusion to this is that both the Physical and the Energy Schools believe that dancing solo as a main ingredient to becoming great dancers.

They all believe that to become one, you must first be two.

They just go about getting that in two different ways.

DSV

Also of relevance is your response to the subject:

Fantastic DSV - clarifies things for me.  I love the 'physical' vs 'energy' classification...

Grin  Cheesy  Hey, I think I owe you this one.   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 04:56:58 AM »

Tongue obviously I can't remember it all..
thanks for the memories.... and now I have to go put on my energy cape - competition for the next three days Shocked

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »

LOL!!  I don't blame you.  There is quite a bit and it's very different. 

Good luck on the competition Elise!  You'll be wonderful.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »

LOL!!  I don't blame you.  There is quite a bit and it's very different. 

Good luck on the competition Elise!  You'll be wonderful.
thanks Smiley

samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

enjoyed your examples, SG. i can see the differences where you've noted. for my part, i don't know how much is their intention when they dance, how much is their pedagogical orientation, and how much is innate constitutional differences...but i do see the differences. Smiley
mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 03:12:20 AM »

Ballroom Dancers Federation International Congress Blackpool 2006,The lecture and performace "The X factor" by Donnie Burn and Gaynor Fairweather, are they both energy dancers?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: