partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Studio owners - what are their backgrounds?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Studio owners - what are their backgrounds?  (Read 773 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »

This came up on the new 'what would you do if you could no longer partnerdance' topic (topics  breed topics Wink ).  I made the comment that round here many of the studios/ballrooms are owned and run by non-competetive dancers.

The studios you attend: are they owned/managed by ex-professional star dancers, ex-amateur star dancers, or people with an interest but not a particularly significant achievement in dance?

I've added a poll and you can choose up to 2 options (to include your favorite studios/dance halls in your area).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:39:23 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »

I guess that depends on the definition of the word "star"... if you include anyone who became well known in the area in which they competed, I think our studio owners qualify.  So that's what I chose.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »

I would say the option "dancer" is too vague. Our studio owner is a professional dancer (meaning that teaching dancing is her main source of income), but she is not a "star dancer" (yet).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

Its impossible to make any poll really accurate without ending up with so many catagories there is no information.  So hold your nose and poll Grin

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »

But... isn't beating information to a pulp what we're all about here?   Grin
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »

Our Main Coach was rising star at Blackpool in his time.... We also use the services of current world champions (ie Alan and Donna Shingler), Peter Townsend (partner of Ruud Vermeij), and other Australian champions in the NV style.

I find that in the end they all give the same information but it is always good to get the perspective of another person.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »

Our Main Coach was rising star at Blackpool in his time.... We also use the services of current world champions (ie Alan and Donna Shingler), Peter Townsend (partner of Ruud Vermeij), and other Australian champions in the NV style.

I find that in the end they all give the same information but it is always good to get the perspective of another person.

[The topic isn't on coaches Q - its on studio owners. Unless there coaches always own their studio that is...]

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »

[The topic isn't on coaches Q - its on studio owners. Unless there coaches always own their studio that is...]

in this case it is correct.. he also owns the studio

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »

The current studio owner was a professional champion and judge at many professional competitions nationally and abroad.

She is retiring soon and handing the studio to one of her student couple who have been training in the UK for the past couple of years as amateur. Here in Australia, you can only run a studio if you are a professional dancer, so they are going to turn professional for the purpose of running the studio. I think they last competed in amateur in Australia as a pre-chamipionship couple, but that's before they moved to the UK. So surely they would be championship level now, but I wouldn't put them as a finalist in championship events at the nationals.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 03:42:39 AM »

The current studio owner was a professional champion and judge at many professional competitions nationally and abroad.

She is retiring soon and handing the studio to one of her student couple who have been training in the UK for the past couple of years as amateur. Here in Australia, you can only run a studio if you are a professional dancer, so they are going to turn professional for the purpose of running the studio. I think they last competed in amateur in Australia as a pre-chamipionship couple, but that's before they moved to the UK. So surely they would be championship level now, but I wouldn't put them as a finalist in championship events at the nationals.

Are they capable and nice?  If so the studio may yet flourish - but they may have to bring in experts to give it legitimacy...  Perhaps the current owner will remain as a teacher?

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »

Are they capable and nice?  If so the studio may yet flourish - but they may have to bring in experts to give it legitimacy...  Perhaps the current owner will remain as a teacher?

Haven't met them yet, but the current owner will drop in every fortnight to teach her regular students, and most probably help to make sure the studio is on the right track.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »

Haven't met them yet, but the current owner will drop in every fortnight to teach her regular students, and most probably help to make sure the studio is on the right track.
Hmmm.  But that may not give it 'legitimacy' - in particular if there is a competing studio with a much more accomplished pro.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »

Every studio I've attended had a dancer as an owner -- all except one were competitive dancers.

Not sure that's a good thing, unless the studio owners also have business savvy.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »

Every studio I've attended had a dancer as an owner -- all except one were competitive dancers.

Not sure that's a good thing, unless the studio owners also have business savvy.
its what they call 'self filtering'.  If they were not, the chances are there would be no studio!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: