partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  If you could no longer do your partner dance form - what would you do?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: If you could no longer do your partner dance form - what would you do?  (Read 1302 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »

As a standard dancer, my thought would be AT - its a much lower investment dance form but still has the full lead-follow that I love...

what on earth does THAT mean?

he says, picking up the gauntlet, taking umbrage, getting his  dander up;; flipping his lid;  throwing a fit; hitting the roof; and flying off the handle;

hehe.  Actually, I'm not sure exactly what I meant but no umbridge was intended I am sure.  When I tried it I loved AT - perhaps I was thinking of the pomp and circumstances of ballroom competitions...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »

s'awright i was just teasing; the tango world needs a few common sense dancers; did you hear the beeb link where western tango dancers are desribed as ocd neurotic interlecturals

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »

I think I would involve myself as a judge or something or the administration of dancing.....but I will still remain involved somewhere

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »

I think I would involve myself as a judge or something or the administration of dancing.....but I will still remain involved somewhere

I think I won't.  To be honest, I'm not that fond of the dance world.  I've seen too much back-biting, corruption, argument and self-centeredness.  I hope I don't get fried for that - I must add that I've also met some wonderful people but on the whole dancers, or at least competetive dancers, and judges are not what I would put into the kindest, considerate, ethical and mutually supportive group.

Which raises the question is there an activity that attracts a large fraction of positively spirited people?

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »

i would sculpt...

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
dancinginthemoonlight
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »

I actually agree with cornutt as well, I find social dancing quite satisfying. Unless you socially dance with only a couple of different people and know their "moves", most of the time you never know what to expect. Sometimes even with the people I have socially danced with regularly, they still find ways to surprise me!

But if I couldn't have dance at all, I would definitely go back to horseback riding (though, it can be at times equally expensive!). (Sounds like Rugby and I have something in common!  Smiley)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »

i would sculpt...

interesting... why not do both?

Is that as in hammer and chisel, knee deep in clay or pine tree and chain saw?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 09:52:17 PM »

I think I won't.  To be honest, I'm not that fond of the dance world.  I've seen too much back-biting, corruption, argument and self-centeredness.  I hope I don't get fried for that - I must add that I've also met some wonderful people but on the whole dancers, or at least competetive dancers, and judges are not what I would put into the kindest, considerate, ethical and mutually supportive group.

Which raises the question is there an activity that attracts a large fraction of positively spirited people?

no I dont believe there is when you are dealing with a competitive sport. I have herd of cycling, ten pin bowling, show jumping and the stories are all the same. goes with the territory.  I will always social dance if I can. but I love the friends that I have made and if I don't go dancing i don't think I would see them, as they when they have every opportunity they go dancing, it is only outside of our dancing season that we catchup at someones house for a chat and shared meal.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »

i would sculpt...

preferred media; clay and wood....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »

i would sculpt...

preferred media; clay and wood....

and together?  I see the woodland scupture growing out of the mud...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

Interesting.  I've always thought of competitive dancing as requiring a certain personality type  -- not good or bad, just a certain type.  If my theory is right, then would it not be difficult to find an alternate activity that satisfies the need to compete?  I'm more or less referring to ee's assertion earlier that, for her, social dancing doesn't fit the bill.

Social dancing, in salsa or AT for example, can be quite challenging.  The only thing that's missing is the competition.  (Yes. I know that there are both salsa and AT competitions out there, but, IMV, they are the exception, rather than the rule. Cool )

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: