partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:32:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Grass-roots dancesport (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  grass roots comp update
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: grass roots comp update  (Read 2670 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »

I checked the USA Dance calendar and didn't see anything that fit the description. Grassroots is not easy.  Undecided

http://usadance.org/dancesport/competition-calendar/
No it's there. It's the first one in September.

nice to hear Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »

That is great to hear! So many comps start off with ambition and great intentions when something bad happens. Glad to see that this one is still fighting the good fight.Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »

That is great to hear! So many comps start off with ambition and great intentions when something bad happens. Glad to see that this one is still fighting the good fight.Smiley
The one on USA dance calendar is a completely different event from the previous attempt with state Olympics, organized by completely different people. So I wouldn't say that the state Olympics comp is still fighting.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 05:25:36 AM »

Oops.  I misunderstood.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »

I think the USA dance one has a better chance, since it has no residency restrictions, and other USA dance competitions are a good distance away. But still, my interest in them is rather academic, since I don't have an am partner and not looking for one.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »

Gotcha.   When I lived in another state and was new to ballroom, I was in a similar position.  The most I could do to support the local comp was go and watch,so I did.  That's all I could do. 

It is what it is.

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

I figured I'll give another update on this. The event is this weekend, and from the look at their website, they have a pretty decent turnout for the first time. Quite a few semi-finals for Senior 2 and 3 at some levels. Because there's no state residency limitations, as with the previous attempt, there are quite a few people from nearby states as well, and that definitely helped. I'll probably go watch some of it in the afternoon and am definitely planning to go to the evening social with a show and live music.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »

Sounds terrific ttd.  Let us know how it works out and mostly whether people had a good time.  I bet the judging is more impartial at such an event, where I guess they will not know many of the dancers.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »

Sounds terrific ttd.  Let us know how it works out and mostly whether people had a good time.  I bet the judging is more impartial at such an event, where I guess they will not know many of the dancers.
The part about the judges not knowing many of the dancers is not true at all. They're all from our general area as well, so the only people they might not know are the ones who traveled from further away.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »

that is good to hear. I have just written an article for a local group and I state that masters is the strongest growing category....We are having a forum to discuss the situation and how we can address it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »

Well, I just got back home from this. I watch some of the competition during the day, and then just went for the evening social with the show (they got a nationally ranked amateur couple with local ties to perform) and a live band. I think it was a successful event, but it remains to be seen if it will stay. The folks who put it together, said that if they broke even, they'll do it next year. Obviously since I'm not in the loop regarding the finances of the event, I won't know for quite some time.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 04:10:41 AM »

I hope they do - I suspect there is a whole class of dance couples that would love to do low-key comps and don't want all the hype (not to mention expense) associated with formal competitions.  Maybe one of the organizers will make a write-up of the event in which case you might find out much earlier how much of a success it was.

Do you know how much the entries were?

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »

Afaik, pricing and the events setup were  modeled on USA dance events. And I'm not 100% sure on this, but i think one had to have USA dance competitor membership in order to compete, since they were listed with USA dance. But maybe not since they didn't give any proficiency points.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

But anyway, all in all, aside from the fact that I got annoyingly high number of comments "you should be competing instead of watching" or "you have to compete in this next year" and similar, it was a fun event to be at.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 02:58:21 AM »

But anyway, all in all, aside from the fact that I got annoyingly high number of comments "you should be competing instead of watching" or "you have to compete in this next year" and similar, it was a fun event to be at.
I think it best to take them as compliments - which I am sure they were Smiley  And maybe you should Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: