partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 06:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The imperfect lead -- what is he like?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The imperfect lead -- what is he like?  (Read 545 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »

In the various venues for partner dancing on the Net, we see a lot of threads discussing the perfect leads and follows, and a lot of threads discussing the terrible leads and follows.  What we don't see a lot of is discussion of leads and follows who are good but have areas where they could stand to improve.  In these threads, I'm not necessarily looking to discuss specific people (although examples are appreciated if you can do it without revealing the identity of the person involved), but general patterns and trends.  If you do a lot of social dancing, what are you experiencing with a majority of your partners?  If you compete, what are you seeing in the couples that you watch? 
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »

...everyone?

It was a big problem for me (probably still is, but hopefully to a lesser extend) - and I think for a lot of people that I saw: the isolation of top and bottom; and/or the calmness of the top. For instance, how many of us had the experience that in, say, a volta in Samba, your free arm is bouncing up and down (for me, it was actually drawing a circle) when you thought that it was still?
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »

I think one of the biggest problems is core strength and people lead the wrong way often from the arms! leading is guiding someone round the floor not pulling or pushing them and sometimes this is confusing to beginners

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »

I think one of the biggest problems is core strength and people lead the wrong way often from the arms! leading is guiding someone round the floor not pulling or pushing them and sometimes this is confusing to beginners
You've got it.  Nothing worse than the grasping man.  However, if you ask them why, its because they feel you are going to run amok Shocked 
The way to cure it is to dance with only one arm (man R, lady L).  Both partners have to learn to use their bodies and ballance correctly to not pull away.

Its become part of our regular practise

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »

You've got it.  Nothing worse than the grasping man.  However, if you ask them why, its because they feel you are going to run amok Shocked 
The way to cure it is to dance with only one arm (man R, lady L).  Both partners have to learn to use their bodies and balance correctly to not pull away.

Its become part of our regular practise

yes we do that too... although we hold the other hand and have the left arm out straight and slight back ( for the women) we have to maintain connection the same way as you.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »

With relatively new leads, there's the leading with the arms issue OR there can be the not leading at all issue.  the lead is used to dancing a certain sequence of patterns with his teacher and assumes that the ladies he dances with are automatically going to dance that same sequence without being led.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

I always go back to a beginner and say, if you want me to be over there how are you doing to do it? They think and try to pull or push you to that position and then I say how about if we do this and both provide some firmness to our bodies and arms and then it becomes easier. I always struggle to say tension as then they stiffen up.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:36:39 AM »

perhaps one way to teach it is to talk to the lead separately and give him instructions on how to walk down the floor - four steps forward 5 to the left etc - then ask them to simply walk down the floor hand-in-hand.  he will naturally lead her without any pulling and pushingn - and you can then tell them that is exactly what they are after.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: