partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 01:06:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Dusting off the cobwebs
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dusting off the cobwebs  (Read 2070 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »

Erm, hello... pardon me if I sneeze a time or two... First of all, I owe everyone here and especially Elise an apology.  Long story short: In April, I got laid off, right in the middle of a bad period for my industry that continues to get worse.  That happened on April 22.  Five days later, on April 27, the big tornado outbreak hit North Alabama.  We had only minor damage, but a lot of our friends and neighbors lost everything they had, including in some cases the lives of their friends and loved ones.  The entire TVA power transmission grid around Huntsville was destroyed and the city was without power, cable, phone, or Internet for four days.  The only communications still working was cell phone, and that was very intermittent and unreliable.  The damage is still being cleaned up, and there are still signs of the storm everywhere. 

In the meantime, I had to continue with my job search, as well as finding contingency ways to make money.  Until three weeks ago, I wasn't getting any interviews.  The phone calls have started now -- I have an interview tomorrow -- but, in talking to a lot of people around town, it's become apparent that when I do find another job, I will be making significantly less than I was at my last job, probably 20-30% less.  This is, I'm afraid, going to cut into our dancing.  I've been trying a couple of other things.  I'm tutoring a high school student, and if I could do some more of that, it would pay for a lesson a week.  I'm also teaching myself to write apps for the Android, which is something I could do on the side. 

The only dancing I've done in the last four months or so, other than a bit of social dancing, was the Project Bluebird show routine that my instructor and I started on almost two years ago.  We finally got it done, and we performed it in a showcase last month, and it was great!  Unfortunately, at some point during the show, I injured the arch muscles in my right foot; I didn't notice at the time, but the next day it hurt like hell.  I kept going on it for a while, but I was having a lot of trouble doing smooth because I could not make that foot elevate.  I finally decided I needed to rest it for a couple of weeks, which I've been doing.  I'lll get going again next week, but it looks like I'm going to be sticking to rhythm for a while.

Anyway, enough whining... I'm back and ready to talk dance!  And help Elise out with the admin work a bit.
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »

My contract teaching gig ended April 28 (along with all other adjuncts) and I haven't found a summer (or fall) replacement.  DP always says, "If it's not this, it will be that."  Good luck!

Yes.  Quite.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »

Looks like we need to add a pdoodlejob board!!  We already have two of the most qualified candidates on the planet....

C - how about making a replacement for the space shuttle in your back yard?  Well, people make boats....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »

wow, that's intense, cornutt. glad to hear you're getting back to it, and wishing you all the best in finding new work.

my own hiatus has been much longer, but i'm also dusting off my own cobwebs...so, welcome to the club. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »

...i'm also dusting off my own cobwebs...so, welcome to the club. Smiley

how so?  tell me more.... (a million PDOodlers want to know Wink )

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »

Life has a way of getting in the way of dancing from time to time and since dancing requires money, it must come first!

V has not been able to find a job yet, after going for about 100 he is yet to secure a permanent job. which can be quite demoralising when you so want to work.

do want you can when you can. enjoy life regardless of the obstacles...

but nature certainly has a way of bringing us back to earth quick smart,as much as  technology is a godsend, in a disaster it all comes crumbing down and we have to rely on people power!

Glad you came out the other side OK C....now having to build it up again.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »

V has not been able to find a job yet, after going for about 100 he is yet to secure a permanent job. which can be quite demoralising when you so want to work.

That is really rough - please give him our best.  Perhaps a bit of pdoodle power will  help...

Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »

Life has a way of getting in the way of dancing from time to time and since dancing requires money, it must come first!
[...]

And that's exactly why I am leaving for the pool in about 20 minutes.   Grin Cool

Yes.  Quite.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »

[...]

And that's exactly why I am leaving for the pool in about 20 minutes.   Grin Cool
oh, and now I'm a bit green....

samina
Silver

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »

Smiley

well, i'd rather be 10-dancing, that goes without saying... but just sayin'. Smiley

but i've returned to the educational community of a local salsero who is like GG for salsa, IMO. cheap and i can do it frequently, and learn a lot. and that fits the bill for now because i have many obligations that take priority over investing $$ in dance. but am slowing getting my dance legs & feet back...and all the rest, yay.

feels good.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:45:03 AM »

Happy for everyone! Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:59:14 AM »

Smiley

well, i'd rather be 10-dancing, that goes without saying... but just sayin'. Smiley

but i've returned to the educational community of a local salsero who is like GG for salsa, IMO. cheap and i can do it frequently, and learn a lot. and that fits the bill for now because i have many obligations that take priority over investing $$ in dance. but am slowing getting my dance legs & feet back...and all the rest, yay.

feels good.

its all the same to the body Wink  but a bit different to the mind.  Might need a topic....

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »

Glad you came out the other side OK C....now having to build it up again.

Thanks gal!
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »

Sorry to hear about all your troubles C, hope all is well.
I want to be dusting off the competitive ballroom cobwebs but just don't have the time, hoping next year I'll be able to fully get back into it!

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

Sorry to hear about all your troubles C, hope all is well.
I want to be dusting off the competitive ballroom cobwebs but just don't have the time, hoping next year I'll be able to fully get back into it!

Zac

we have your shoes, outfit and PDO updates in mothballs.... Tongue
do you think your current training will improve your ballroom?  Maybe we could have a topic on that...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: