partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:41:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Local competition frequency?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Local competition frequency?  (Read 675 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: June 26, 2011, 02:20:45 AM »

There are many factors that affect how often you compete in distant comps but the main one for local comps is a personal choice

Some couples go to every comp they can locally whereas others just compete once or twice a year at the most prestigious top comps.  Here we have a number of private competitions of all sizes and then a few large province-wide or international ones (I suppose about 3 or 4).  For about 4 years DP and I have attended just about every local comp there is to develop our comp skills but now we are reconsidering this.   

One possible issue is that the judges can get used to you and typecast you "oh here's * and * again" for how they remember you dance and hence not see any improvement.  Another is that because there is a comp just more frequently than every month you are always in prep mode and don't have a chance to make large changes to technique or routine and get used to them.

How do others time comp frequency?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »

At one time I used to compete about every 6 weeks.  That was when I was very new and "wide eyed". I stayed in the ballroom late and was so tired the next morning before my heats.
Now I am older and wiser ---the comps are chosen by size (mixed) and what part of the country it is being held. We try to do both east coast and west coast.
I think its best to mix it up, so you are not pigenholed  in to one kind of competitor.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »

At one time I used to compete about every 6 weeks.  That was when I was very new and "wide eyed". I stayed in the ballroom late and was so tired the next morning before my heats.
Now I am older and wiser ---the comps are chosen by size (mixed) and what part of the country it is being held. We try to do both east coast and west coast.
I think its best to mix it up, so you are not pigenholed  in to one kind of competitor.

What do you mean by 'mixed' size - you do some large and some small?  surely you don't travel accross the country to compete in a small comp?  You must have some favorite comps too Wink
And the pigeonhole-ing is something I believe we have to break out of. 

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:03 PM »

I like to feel as if there will be some competion. Mixed size means 4,500 entries up to 15,000 entries (this weekend in Millenium).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »

I like to feel as if there will be some competion. Mixed size means 4,500 entries up to 15,000 entries (this weekend in Millenium).
Do you avoid the superlarge comps then?  Can't remember if you compete at Ohio for example...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »

we have six local comps in a year plus a half comp......out of those 7.  4 are eligible to earn points to be able to elevate.  We do all these as well as four interstate and this year of those those is in NZ.

Not many people are a  position to do that, but we don't do any more than what we can afford. Dancing is getting very expensive and I feel if they could review costs and venues (which we have discussed before), it would allow people to be involved and travel more.....

Numbers dancing here, is falling and I dont think that all the comps we currently have will survive. which will be a shame.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:17:11 AM »

Ah, you raise rather an important issue: the rules for promotion (elevation).  If it is a point system then the more comps you do the more points you will get.  However, here you only elevate for wins - so if promotion is the goal, doing comps where you have no chance of winning is, well, pointless Wink

I suppose our association hasn't figured out the advantage of the point system yet (for getting participation) Cool

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:54 AM »

not sure why they have comps that do not accrue points. they are called festivals..... the system is changing here from January 2012. It will be a passport system where you will need to attain 60 points (not sure if that is the correct figure) to elevate, but you get points for participating and also points for a placing.

there are advantages and disadvantages for both systems. but in places where competitions is tight and you are unlikely to win it gives you an option to get points for a placing.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 05:56:16 AM »

not sure why they have comps that do not accrue points. they are called festivals..... the system is changing here from January 2012. It will be a passport system where you will need to attain 60 points (not sure if that is the correct figure) to elevate, but you get points for participating and also points for a placing.

there are advantages and disadvantages for both systems. but in places where competitions is tight and you are unlikely to win it gives you an option to get points for a placing.
I suppose one issue is that very weak dancers can and will still advance to higher levels even if they make no effort to improve.  OTOH the same can easily happen here since there are no rules against self-advancement.  You can put yourself anywhere you like - but then you can't go backwards...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »

I suppose one issue is that very weak dancers can and will still advance to higher levels even if they make no effort to improve.  OTOH the same can easily happen here since there are no rules against self-advancement.  You can put yourself anywhere you like - but then you can't go backwards...

Often people are in a hurry to play with the big boys...but the stakes are high and you have to do your utmost best every time......It is a journey after all enjoy it I say

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: