partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2015, 06:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116983 Posts in 1874 Topics by 226 Members
Latest Member: Dance20Grit
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Height and partner dancing - how does it affect you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Height and partner dancing - how does it affect you?  (Read 5108 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »

Exactly. If you are in a romantic relationship, whatever the height difference, you have make it work as best you can.
all depends on goals - if its dancing with your darling its rather different from dancing to become world champions

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »

Or any kind of champion.

If the personal relationship is most important, then you have to accept the limitations of your partner... Of course, they have to accept your limitations,too.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »

Or any kind of champion.

If the personal relationship is most important, then you have to accept the limitations of your partner... Of course, they have to accept your limitations,too.  Cool
or you dump the dancing loosers..

hehe - only half in jest, look at the pros Shocked

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »

Yep.  If you don't win, I don't love you. Hmm.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »

Yup, and if we do lets get married.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:50:56 AM »

What a great foundation for a marriage.*sarcastic*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:47 AM »

Which begs the question - how many dance partnership marriages fell apart when the dancing stopped?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

Which begs the question - how many dance partnership marriages fell apart when the dancing stopped?

not sure, but ionly know one that has broken because the husband decided to dance with someone else! They are no longer married....but not that many. I think they give up dancing  before it completely falls apart.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »

not sure, but ionly know one that has broken because the husband decided to dance with someone else! They are no longer married....but not that many. I think they give up dancing  before it completely falls apart.
that's probably right.  the dancing is probably the first to go as the anger sets in

elam63
pre-bronze

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 05:07:59 PM »

Interestingly, there have been great dance partnerships with large height differences, even in standard.  I think we even had a discussion on PDO about a ballroom style that was developed specifically for such a case... if I can remember where ... round school was it???

Hi, Elisa, can you still find the discussion on PDO about the ballroom style and different schools?  I'm only 5'2", but I love standard. I found my own way to do standard with taller guys, but 70% of my coaches were trying to correct my way. They don't want me lift up the hip, don't want me stretch my leg out when I'm going backwards. I felt like I was blocking my partner, and my step became so small if I'm trying to follow what my coaches said. I don't like to touch my partner's thigh, I like to give him a lot of space there, so I prefer high connection (at rib cage area), I'm thinking about my leg extends to my rib cage. I've heard some other coaches in Europe and Asia were teaching this style. Don't know who is teaching this style in US.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:37:01 PM by elisedance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »

Hi there elam - as you post a bit more the forum will open up gradually and you can find stuff using the search engine - its quite sophisticated (I'll take a look for your specific question when I have a bit of time).  

I'm almost 5'11' so I can't say I've ever had that problem - but I can relate because I've done the opposite where my leg catches my partner in, shall we say, a place it does not want to be Shocked  Smiley  I suppose your coaches are worried about you breaking your line and going out of ballance to compensate - but you are right as there must be a way: some quite famous couples did very well despite a big height difference (the classic Peter Eggleton and Brenda Winslade come to mind).  

Where are you located?  There are a couple of pros in Maryland who dealt with the same problem and did very well.

ee
(PS its Elise Wink )

elam63
pre-bronze

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 01:43:59 AM »

Hi there elam - as you post a bit more the forum will open up gradually and you can find stuff using the search engine - its quite sophisticated (I'll take a look for your specific question when I have a bit of time).  

I'm almost 5'11' so I can't say I've ever had that problem - but I can relate because I've done the opposite where my leg catches my partner in, shall we say, a place it does not want to be Shocked  Smiley  I suppose your coaches are worried about you breaking your line and going out of ballance to compensate - but you are right as there must be a way: some quite famous couples did very well despite a big height difference (the classic Peter Eggleton and Brenda Winslade come to mind).  

Where are you located?  There are a couple of pros in Maryland who dealt with the same problem and did very well.

ee
(PS its Elise Wink )

Hi: Elise ( I hope it's right this time.  Wink )   thanks for your reply. I was trying to search in the forum, but I couldn't find it.  I first time heard these different schools of ballroom dancing from Maja (you probably knew who I was talking about) and she recommend me to this forum. I've found lots of great information here.
I live in Las Vegas. Do you know anybody in west coast deal with this kind of problem well? I love Joanne Bolton and I've told she is not tall at all. I wonder anybody in this forum took lessons from her and could give any advise for short ladies.
Thanks again! Let me know if you could find the old post for different schools of ballroom dancing when you have time.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »

I'm almost 5'11' so I can't say I've ever had that problem - but I can relate because I've done the opposite where my leg catches my partner in, shall we say, a place it does not want to be Shocked  Smiley  I suppose your coaches are worried about you breaking your line and going out of ballance to compensate - but you are right as there must be a way: some quite famous couples did very well despite a big height difference (the classic Peter Eggleton and Brenda Winslade come to mind). 

Where are you located?  There are a couple of pros in Maryland who dealt with the same problem and did very well.

ee
(PS its Elise Wink )

Hi: Elise ( I hope it's right this time.  Wink )   thanks for your reply. I was trying to search in the forum, but I couldn't find it.  I first time heard these different schools of ballroom dancing from Maja (you probably knew who I was talking about) and she recommend me to this forum. I've found lots of great information here.
I live in Las Vegas. Do you know anybody in west coast deal with this kind of problem well? I love Joanne Bolton and I've told she is not tall at all. I wonder anybody in this forum took lessons from her and could give any advise for short ladies.
Thanks again! Let me know if you could find the old post for different schools of ballroom dancing when you have time.

Well, going from the Eggleton example, he was Round school so why not search that on the forum?  Maybe there's some clues there - we can also give DSV a call out to help us find the info. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »

Hello and welcome to PDO, I believe the maja serve is coming to Las Vegas for a workshop I saw it on face book. Her style is quite different to most and in the end as she mentioned every style is not wrong but in the end you have to work with what you feel comfortable.

The connections points very from time to time and now that the lady is very much to the right of the man the connection point is much different from the early days. every though there is a connection in the torso there is also a connection  thigh to thigh. your hips should not be up tight to the man but have a flex this will allow movement. if you press up hip to hip you are right that this stops movement.

have seen some very successful partnerships where the lady is much shorter than the man and you don't notice it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elam63
pre-bronze

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »

Hello and welcome to PDO, I believe the maja serve is coming to Las Vegas for a workshop I saw it on face book. Her style is quite different to most and in the end as she mentioned every style is not wrong but in the end you have to work with what you feel comfortable.

The connections points very from time to time and now that the lady is very much to the right of the man the connection point is much different from the early days. every though there is a connection in the torso there is also a connection  thigh to thigh. your hips should not be up tight to the man but have a flex this will allow movement. if you press up hip to hip you are right that this stops movement.

have seen some very successful partnerships where the lady is much shorter than the man and you don't notice it.

Maja is going to have workshop at Palm Spring in August. I've been searching the forum about the different schools of thought and found something in this topic: "Energy" Versus "Physical". It explains the two different schools of thought, but doesn't have the detail about two different thoughts within "Energy" school and "Physical" School. I'll keep searching.

I also try to change my mind when I'm dancing. I usually put more focus on my rib cage area. Last night, I tried to think about the hip area. I felt it's more powerful and grounded, but my partner said he lost rig cage connection with me and has less leg room. He also felt I was a little bit shorter.  Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: