partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2015, 04:19:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
117017 Posts in 1875 Topics by 227 Members
Latest Member: scotlanddancer8
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  National competitors
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: National competitors  (Read 264 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: June 27, 2015, 02:34:50 AM »

How many competitors are there in different countries - and how does that relate to success?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 02:42:27 AM »

If you select 'compare couples' on the DSI home page you can also pick the style, age group/am or pro and also the country - so with that you can get an aproximate count of the number of competitors in each country.

Thus, if you select amateur ballroom in Russia you get 407 whereas in the US there are 131 and 176 in England.  Quite surprising - but confirms my suspicion that ballroom is not nearly as strong in the US as the results are.

China and Japan only have 19 and 11 respectively!

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:26:02 PM »

When I was down in the States the start of July I was talking to competitors from different areas in the Eastern States and they were telling me that there was a real drop in the number of competitors.  They told me that the big increase in prices to compete were discouraging people from continuing on.  that is one the downfalls of a for profit competition, higher prices to not only compete but to get into the event.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »

There are more than 250000 registered amateur dancers in Tokyo alone. There are about 100000 registered amateur dancers in Yokohama which is just south of Tokyo. Of those about 1/2 does competitions in Japan and the rest are social dancers. They have a ranking system in Japan where only A class if allowed to compete outside of Japan. There is about 25 couples in A class. Of those 25 couples only about half would travel outside of Asia. The B and C class has about 200 couples in each. D and E class has about 500 couples in each class. F class has the rest. You will have to win your class 3 times before moving up and if you are last in your class 3 times you go down a class.

Germany also have a class system like in Japan. They have A, B, C and D class. Again only A class are allowed to compete outside of Germany. They also have about 25 couples in A class. There are about 50 couples in B and C class and about 100 in D class.

I know that China have implemented a similar class system in the last 5 years. I do however not know how many couples are in each class. I would expect it would be similar to Japan.

There are about 3 to 4 competitions in Japan ever week depending on the class and region. We never hear of them as they are for Japanese couples only.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:30:36 AM »

Seems a violation of personal rights to forbid someone from competing abroad - what business is that of the dance organization?  Seems purely for control.  Can you think of a benefit?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: