partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 05:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Change your partner do si do
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Change your partner do si do  (Read 410 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 30, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »

We've all heard about them -- the sometimes spectacular breakups and pairings off of high level competitive couples. Hardly a week goes by when there isn't something in the rumor mill. It's inevitable of course, with such high profile, high pressure relationships.

Question for you.  Do you think that couples that stay together long term (as dancers) have an advantage over couples that split and pair up with others?  Is there an advantage to dance relationship longevity?  Or do occasional break-ups enable couples to keep things fresh and perhaps grow as dancers by finding new partners that better match their skill sets?

And do you think the answers are different with am/am partnerships, pro/am pairings, and professional matchups?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:23:48 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 06:51:48 AM »

what an interesting question.  In my own case - well actuall I only had one partner so its not been tested Tongue Grin

Both happen of course - but then we only really hear about the successful switches.  Interesting how the top dancers, at least in Standard, seem to have made all the switches and exchanges possible.  But there are innumerable cases where changes either led to improvements only for one partner or both failed.  In the canadian dance scene I know of one couple that split, tried out with everyone they could and then went back together (and it still didn't work).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:13:57 AM »

well if you are married to your partner I dont think you have a choice and if the partnership is uneven, you will have to come to terms with where your standing will be if that is important to you. Again for singles it is the same it depends on your goals and sometimes they change and you have to move on to another partnership. I know one top couple knew they could not go any further t together and they have both sought new partnerships and remained friends. Most slits are not quite like that.

It still boils back to your goals, are they match and if not you may need to move on.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:33:37 AM »

I've seen quite a few pro-am students change to a new dance pro either because f personal conflict or when the student's goal started to grow beyond what the pro was capable of teaching.

Not a whole lot of controversy with pro-am.  I think it's expected that students will change pros occasionally to help themselves grow as dancers.

I think the real challenges come with am/am and pro/pro partnerships.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

Perhaps you are underestimating pro-am a bit P13?  Those can be just as interdependent relationships as in the other two - its just that convention refuses to admit it.  Acutally, its all about money Tongue Sad

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: