partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  "A competetive lady dancer can't just follow, she has to learn the routine"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: "A competetive lady dancer can't just follow, she has to learn the routine"  (Read 2734 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 03:31:24 AM »

Perhaps PDO should start a movement...  Actually, this may truly be what we are for.....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 03:44:09 AM »

There - posted on the FB PDO page.... 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »

yes and I wrote on there...just need to do it regularly and eventually people will engage.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »

yes and I wrote on there...just need to do it regularly and eventually people will engage.

Perhaps... but ideally I'd like them to contribute to the discussion here rather than on FB... but if it engages why not....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:52:33 AM »

Perhaps... but ideally I'd like them to contribute to the discussion here rather than on FB... but if it engages why not....
indeed

Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »

I'm afraid the only real solution is that a major change of attitude has to take place among judges, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.  However I do humbly make one suggestion: for finals at least, assign couples to randomly-chosen starting locations on the floor.  This will force couples to have at least a little flexibility since they cannot be guaranteed of starting at the beginning of a long wall.  There also needs to be more variation in music.

I LOVE it!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

I'm afraid the only real solution is that a major change of attitude has to take place among judges, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.  However I do humbly make one suggestion: for finals at least, assign couples to randomly-chosen starting locations on the floor.  This will force couples to have at least a little flexibility since they cannot be guaranteed of starting at the beginning of a long wall.  There also needs to be more variation in music.

I LOVE it!

we do that too now, starting from a different spot. stay away from the crowd and get a good run and the other thing we are doing is learning techniques where we can move around and get out of the way of some of the Kamikaze dancers! Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »

Kamikaze dancers! Roll Eyes

LOVE THIS too!
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »

I heard today that William Pino and Alessandra Bucciarelli did not have a routine, even for their superstars performances. It was all purely lead and follow.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »

I heard today that William Pino and Alessandra Bucciarelli did not have a routine, even for their superstars performances. It was all purely lead and follow.

You could have read that here Wink  They were one of the top body school dancers... so no routine.  Thats why their dancing looks so fresh.

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »

I dance open smooth and standard. I know the routine, then I forget it. The direction is never the same, the timing is never the same (different kinds of melodies) and connection is not the same...

So I have been taught --learn it ---forget it--just go forward and back. After all, the man is in charge of power, direction and timing...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »

I dance open smooth and standard. I know the routine, then I forget it. The direction is never the same, the timing is never the same (different kinds of melodies) and connection is not the same...

So I have been taught --learn it ---forget it--just go forward and back. After all, the man is in charge of power, direction and timing...

Well put - except I might take issue with the 'power' aspect.  I certainly feel like I'm often the motor, in particular after the lead has initiated the step...  THe man can't do much power unless I'm outa the way!

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

Well put - except I might take issue with the 'power' aspect.  I certainly feel like I'm often the motor, in particular after the lead has initiated the step...  THe man can't do much power unless I'm outa the way!
Yes, the lady is in charge of the mobility, but the guy usually indicates how much power he wants (kind of like the driver using the accelerator pedal).  You wouldn't want to be in a car where you're only in charge of timing and direction.   Cool
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »

Yes, the lady is in charge of the mobility, but the guy usually indicates how much power he wants (kind of like the driver using the accelerator pedal).  You wouldn't want to be in a car where you're only in charge of timing and direction.   Cool

And theirin lies the conundrum of following.  Providing enough pep to make the dance dynamic but not so much as to throw it off kilter...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 01:27:03 AM »

And theirin lies the conundrum of following.  Providing enough pep to make the dance dynamic but not so much as to throw it off kilter...

It's only a conundrum if your brain is involved... if you have to guess how much power your partner wants.  If you take the guess work out of it, enter a state of "being" (a car), then you won't have to guess.  The car doesn't have to guess (no conundrum) 'cause the indication is clear and the mechanics and wiring take care of the rest.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: