partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:30:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Coaching: variety is the spice of life...
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Coaching: variety is the spice of life...  (Read 1023 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »

Until the old guard dies off we will be held hostage to their greed and paranoid self-centered attitude.  They don't give a damn about the quality of the teachers just the quantity.  Outside of the main cities there is just nobody that is anywhere even half decent to teach.  I would say the better teachers in the mass majority of cases may be able to compete in Bronze but that's about it.  Since they don't copmpete they can't be stopped from teaching but then again to the old guard they would rather have a bunch of bronze level (and this is being kind) Pros, and I say Pros loosely, teach over high level competitiors.  This is one of the huge problems up here.  95% of the people dancing have nobody of any quality to teach them and for sure no opportunity to be exposed to competing or lessons that are anything more than a bunch of steps. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »

Until the old guard dies off we will be held hostage to their greed and paranoid self-centered attitude.  They don't give a damn about the quality of the teachers just the quantity.  Outside of the main cities there is just nobody that is anywhere even half decent to teach.  I would say the better teachers in the mass majority of cases may be able to compete in Bronze but that's about it.  Since they don't copmpete they can't be stopped from teaching but then again to the old guard they would rather have a bunch of bronze level (and this is being kind) Pros, and I say Pros loosely, teach over high level competitiors.  This is one of the huge problems up here.  95% of the people dancing have nobody of any quality to teach them and for sure no opportunity to be exposed to competing or lessons that are anything more than a bunch of steps. 
.. well put...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:58 AM »

that is a shame.....every place has its problem....but at least we can teach if we want too. I wish I had found someone with quality at the beginning....... Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 05:28:26 AM »

that is a shame.....every place has its problem....but at least we can teach if we want too. I wish I had found someone with quality at the beginning....... Roll Eyes

But its all a learning curve - if you had you probably would not have recognized it.  At the beginning we all focus on steps - not dancing and so are lulled in by the least qualified teachers.

Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »

Here only national championship finalists are allowed to teach - and I think its just in the Amateur catagory.  The pros see it as a threat to their income.  I think they are short sightted - ams teaching just brings more students into the pool...

Counterpoint:  There is an am competitor who teaches newbie classes here.  She is a terrible teacher.  Both DP and I have taught things other than dance at elementary school through university levels and DP has a masters in adult ed, so we're pretty sure we have a good handle on what constitutes good teaching.  Anyway, I question whether this teacher is ultimately doing more harm than good, like driving off newbies who get frustrated, etc.

Yes.  Quite.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »

Here only national championship finalists are allowed to teach - and I think its just in the Amateur catagory.  The pros see it as a threat to their income.  I think they are short sightted - ams teaching just brings more students into the pool...

Counterpoint:  There is an am competitor who teaches newbie classes here.  She is a terrible teacher.  Both DP and I have taught things other than dance at elementary school through university levels and DP has a masters in adult ed, so we're pretty sure we have a good handle on what constitutes good teaching.  Anyway, I question whether this teacher is ultimately doing more harm than good, like driving off newbies who get frustrated, etc.

...but whether they are good or bad probably has little at all to do with whether they are pro or am- in particular because pros do not have to get teaching certificates to teach either (not that that makes a good teacher but I would argue it makes a few less bad ones Wink ).

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: