partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:52:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Coaching: variety is the spice of life...
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Coaching: variety is the spice of life...  (Read 904 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: June 05, 2011, 03:24:12 AM »

Have you noticed that when you take a coaching session with someone other than your regular coach you (can) get major insights?  We are doing that right now while our coaches are away (yup, at the big one).  I think its something about that fresh look that can identify things you are just so used to doing they become a part of what you are - or maybe its something that your own coaches have tried to fix but given up on as either not important or hopeless!

We asked this coach to deal mainly with global issues - things that affect our entire presentation - and he has really come through working on presentation,  musicality and teamwork.  To some extent of course, we lucked out (I've had the opposite experience too Undecided ) but part of it I am sure is the fresh look...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:10:24 AM »

that is good news. we are having coaching with other people next week when we go to Perth, so will see what they have to say,although it can be an issue just beofre you go out to dance at a comp... so we have to be careful with that.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »

that is good news. we are having coaching with other people next week when we go to Perth, so will see what they have to say,although it can be an issue just beofre you go out to dance at a comp... so we have to be careful with that.

It can - but not if its one of the judges Cool

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:11:13 AM »

indeed...but we had Judge issues at the last comp. Undecided

Dance Forum
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »

It seems that from everything I have read, visiting coaches (or non-main coaches) could give some insights due to their fresh perspectives.

I have a few instances taking lessons from other coaches.

However, I experienced quite differently for different coaching. I had one coaching session (in Standard) where it took me a few weeks, and with talking to my own coaches to figure out that the things we learned from the visiting coaches were in fact compatible from what we have learned. And it was simply different ways/perspectives of describing the same thing.

We also took a few lessons from other coaches in Latin. While my partner, after a few months expressed some confusion and frustration about the materials on her blog. However, after watching out last competition video, I think that the new materials did change our way of dancing. And more important, it gave us some sparks on what it meant to be dancing - which I think was one the largest factors of why we beat all of our teammies on the last competition (at least that is why we would like to think of Wink ). Indeed, I have heard some other person saying that some of the best lessons he had made him think even, and gave him deeper insight even after a few years. And I think in that respect, we had a great lesson (notice that this lesson we took was about half a year before our competition. And back then, our result was, disappointing, to start with).

We also took another visiting coach in Latin (actually, we were the ones "visiting"). And he transformed our Jive. And we were really happy that we took the lesson (beside, my partner loved him =D).

The difference between my experience might due to the fact that 1). Our visiting Latin Coaches were masters, from their result. And apparently, they were great teachers, too. Whereas the standard counterparts were about the same as our own coaches in terms of ranking. They were really nice people nonetheless. 2). Our regular Latin coach had taken lessons from these Latin masters. Therefore the language, concepts, school of thought are similar. Whereas for the standard, I am not exactly certain. 
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »

I prefer to think about " a foundation coach". This is the person that has watched me grow-up and understands how I learn. If I have lessons with another coach, I am able to ask, "what does this mean? how do I use it in the context of what I know?".

The master teachers are not always the ones with the best results ---it is about understanding and being able to communicate the information in many different ways and on many different levels (think newbie, bronze, silver gold, rs pro, open pro).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »

I prefer to think about " a foundation coach". This is the person that has watched me grow-up and understands how I learn.

Nice term... but I think I outgrew my 'foundation coach'.  He can still judge me (and does) but I don't think he could teach me what I learn now.....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:38:12 AM »

The master teachers are not always the ones with the best results ---it is about understanding and being able to communicate the information in many different ways and on many different levels (think newbie, bronze, silver gold, rs pro, open pro).

Absolutely.  But I still think that every coach with real experience and/or training has something of value to teach you - even if that is must an impression of your dancing and how it looks to a judge.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:35:10 AM »

well I did some coaching this week for the first time. there is a lady that has just started and struggling, so I walked through with her and called it and said you say it with me, so you can remember the steps. she was so pleased with herself and thanked me for giving her a way to remember.

I still have a way to go with being very specific....but good at get beginners on the floor.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:41 AM »

well I did some coaching this week for the first time. there is a lady that has just started and struggling, so I walked through with her and called it and said you say it with me, so you can remember the steps. she was so pleased with herself and thanked me for giving her a way to remember.

I still have a way to go with being very specific....but good at get beginners on the floor.

Hard to believe, perhaps, but we are not allowed to do even that - even if we are not being paid.  A truly stupid rule that needs changing...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:58:47 AM »

Hard to believe, perhaps, but we are not allowed to do even that - even if we are not being paid.  A truly stupid rule that needs changing...

Indeed but there were qualified teachers in the room, we are registering to be an assistant coach.....so it was good practice.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:48 AM »

Indeed but there were qualified teachers in the room, we are registering to be an assistant coach.....so it was good practice.
you can be an assistant coach?  do you get paid?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »

you can be an assistant coach?  do you get paid?

not sure if you can while you are an assistant coach.....I am doing it for experience but once I am qualified I will want to get paid. We/me are interested in holding classes to do fundamentals trainings, doing exercises that will improvie peoples balance and skills drills for both children and adults

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 08:10:54 AM »

Here only national championship finalists are allowed to teach - and I think its just in the Amateur catagory.  The pros see it as a threat to their income.  I think they are short sightted - ams teaching just brings more students into the pool...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »

Here only national championship finalists are allowed to teach - and I think its just in the Amateur catagory.  The pros see it as a threat to their income.  I think they are short sightted - ams teaching just brings more students into the pool...

Indeed....glad that rule does not apply here

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: