partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dilemma for coaches choice
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dilemma for coaches choice  (Read 759 times)
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« on: May 23, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »

Hi everyone. Personally I have a dilemma, and I would like to ask for people's opinions.

I am going to graduate soon (crossing my fingers here!). I would have the opportunity to either go home (Taiwan) or staying in the U.S.. Originally, I was super against the idea of heading back, since I would be serving the army for a year instead of dancing. Also, I thought that dancing caliber wasn't that good in Taiwan - at least I don't really know what it means to be a national champion in Taiwan. However, I just did some research on coaches in Taiwan, and I found a few coaches, both national champions, one of them was finalist in Emerald ball and Hollywood ball i the US (which I would personally put him into national finalist/semi-finalist in the US. Another one was also South-East Asian Champion, and something like Asia Champion.

I have a few questions - now assume that I have the same amount of time to practice (15-20 hrs/week), and I could take twice as many lessons if I go back to Taiwan, vs. 1 lesson or less per week in the US, but higher caliber, which would you choose? And why?

Thank you guys before hand!
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »

From what I've heard, Taiwan gets some world-class coaching since they compete in the Asian games.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »

I think a lot depends on the rest of your life Wink  What are your career prospects like in the two countries?  I don't know what you are studying but if it is a profession the odds are that they are better in your home country.  A bigger income means more choices - for example you might be able to take lessons in Taiwan and supplement these with lessons abroad. 

Dancesportinfo is a great way to look at the strength of dancing in a particular country.  There are some very good to excellent professional dancers from Tiawan (at least they represent the country).  In standard, 8 couples rank over 1600 and two over 1700 with the top couple Alex Hou & Melody Hou ranked 85th in the world.  Pro latin is very similar.  Perhaps if you found out how much this couple charges you would have an idea how well you could develop your dancing goals. 

another factor is finding a partner.  This depends on the popularity of dancing in your country - but you would know more about that.

If you plan to be a (internationally recognized) pro then you are going to have to figure on eventually leaving taiwan again to get the top level training essential for this career....

Good luck!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »

I think a lot depends on the rest of your life Wink  What are your career prospects like in the two countries?  I don't know what you are studying but if it is a profession the odds are that they are better in your home country.  A bigger income means more choices - for example you might be able to take lessons in Taiwan and supplement these with lessons abroad. 

Dancesportinfo is a great way to look at the strength of dancing in a particular country.  There are some very good to excellent professional dancers from Tiawan (at least they represent the country).  In standard, 8 couples rank over 1600 and two over 1700 with the top couple Alex Hou & Melody Hou ranked 85th in the world.  Pro latin is very similar.  Perhaps if you found out how much this couple charges you would have an idea how well you could develop your dancing goals. 

another factor is finding a partner.  This depends on the popularity of dancing in your country - but you would know more about that.

If you plan to be a (internationally recognized) pro then you are going to have to figure on eventually leaving taiwan again to get the top level training essential for this career....

Good luck!

OMG. It is really useful. Thanks! I think it is a nice place to start from ;-).

I guess I also have the same questions similar to GreenEye's. For instance, what separates a master from a good teacher? Also, her "location, location" post. I was also thinking about those questions she raised.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »

I guess I also have the same questions similar to GreenEye's. For instance, what separates a master from a good teacher? Also, her "location, location" post. I was also thinking about those questions she raised.

Teaching is both knowledge AND transmission - without the former what you learn is useless and without the latter you have no way of obtaining the training so all teachers have to have at least some of both.  To my eye, a master teacher excells at both but I would say the latter is actually more important than the former.  Thus, a person with a modicum of knowledge but outstanding transmission skills can be an outstanding teacher - as long as they also have the modesty to know their limits...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.......
A "master teacher" will be different for each person...it is about the communication that occurs between the teacher and the student.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:26:25 AM »

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.......
A "master teacher" will be different for each person...it is about the communication that occurs between the teacher and the student.

And it will be a different person depending on what you are ready for Smiley  A dancer learning the first hints of movement might greatly benefit from, but does not necessarily need a champion teacher .... I have found this with my violin that the teachers seem to match what my need is at the time.

Part of being 'ready' is to be willing and able to change teachers.  The teacher will not appear unless the student makes themselves available...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: