partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  About us and Welcome
| |-+  Newcomers (Moderators: QPO, cornutt, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  quick self-intro
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: quick self-intro  (Read 1919 times)
weshalldance
Newcomer

« on: May 02, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »

Really glad to have discovered this forum and community! The fare in the Ballroom dance-advanced section is meaty and tasty.

My current delight is in the 5 international standard genres, which I dance as a social hobbyist. Competition hasn't motivated me yet, but if I found a partner with those aspirations, I would consider it. Medal exams intrigue me, but I don't know anyone who has taken that route. Typical week includes 2 intermediate/silver group classes (started several years ago, technique courses are prized); 2-4 hours of studying class notes, lectures, videos, and web resources; 4 hours of practice with a frequent partner; and 3-5 hours of social dancing. I'm fortunate to have a couple of thoroughbred teachers and an incredible studio with terrific access; unfortunately Standard compatriots are somewhat sparse in NW USA. Also quite enjoy my friends in West Coast Swing, Night Club 2-Step, Cross-Step Waltz, and (well-developed) Country 2-Step. So many more on my to-learn list. Dancing has touched only the last quarter of my life; sure wish I had been introduced to it in my youth.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:21:47 PM by weshalldance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »

Nice to have you here - as mentioned in my PM you've hardly scratched the surface of PDO yet Smiley 

There are very few places where it is easy to find a full time partner - and one is not for everyone since it generally takes a lot of time and emotional dedication, especially if you plan to compete.

Keep digging Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:32 AM »

Welcome to the forum...once you get to 30 Posts you will get to see other posts which provides you with a wealth of information! Enjoy looking around and participating.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »

Happy you're here weshalldance!  Grin

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:19:02 AM »

Welcome on board weshalldance!

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
candreatos
Newcomer

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:46:06 AM »

Smiley

Hi to Everyone.

I have been dancing more than 20 years. I am a Silver International or Silver Open level. Not a pro, but I do teach community Salsa Lessons and have a few private students, who are beginners.

I am also a Marketing Manager for Dance pro's, who are interested in coming to Florida to Dance and offer lessons and hosting. For a small fee, I book them in studios's in the West Palm Beach through Miami, Florida area. Although I have helped some WCS people, Ballroom is my forte.

I love to compete and dance socially if I can be challenged at high levels. Currently, under the instruction on Tom Delfiore, I have studied with Paul Pellicoro from Dancesport , NYC (did comps with Dancesport) ; as well as Stanley & Jennifer McCalla, with whom (Stanley) and I performed pro-ams back in the day. As of late, after moving to Florida, I have studied with Roosevelt (Webert) Benoinst, from The Plaza Ballroom in Palm Beach. Tom Delfiore is my current coach.

Feel free to contact me at candreatos@yahopo.com

BTW Stephen White is in Jacksonville, Florida, but I'm working on getting him to come to West Palm for a week-end - such amazing talent!

I frquently dance at Goldcoast, The Plaza, The Grand Ballroom (in Delray)  and The Palladium in Ft. Lauderdale. I am very interested in Ballroom Dance, all aspects.

Planning a tour June6 - 16 to Saf Francisco area, where I will meet up with my Cousin Bruce Stone, who has been dancing ballroom for 25 years plus in the San Francisco Area. Looking forward to meeting Cheryl Burke on June 9th. I remember her from the day, when she competed with Jose DeCamp.

I have attended Ohio Star Balls, Emerald Ball, Cherry Hill NJ Imperial Ball and many others.

I most recently, worked with Ritchniks in marketing & sales , selling the 10 day Dance Camp at Club Med, Port Saint Lucie, Florida (Last Year) " 10 " days! You can visit me on Facebook for the pages and more information. It was the BEST! I have also attended the Ft. Lauderdale WCS/Hustle Bash last year July 4th week-end and am looking forward to seeing all my friends again this July 4th as they come to the Bahia Mar for the event. This year I am offering them a tour of the ballrooms locally, so that they can visit new venues as see how our State is booming with Ballroom!

Locally we have so many places to dance, that one could dance every night of the week, if they would want to.

Please feel

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »

I have a couple of friends down your way and one dances on the Gold Coast.  I used to go to Florida all the time and had property there for awhile.  Love the place and would like to come back down in the next year or two.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:05:14 AM »

Welcome and enjoy PDO!

Dance Forum
tendancegirl
Newcomer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »

Hello everyone,
  I am an International trained 10-dance lady who lives in an area where American Rhythm & Smooth rules. I do American socially & on the fly, so dancing with an American trained person is no problem.  Have been dancing since I was a teenager in Jazz, choreography & Salsa in my 20's. I have been dancing Ballroom for 4 1/2 years. First love is Latin. I like 10-dance for the challenge & variety. Most of my competitions have been pro-am, but would like to change status to pro if I find the right partner. Currently working on Open for Latin & Standard. It will be awhile before we compete again.(2 dances down, 8 to go) Still currently looking, if someone knows of anybody. I will relocate for a partner or make that decision when the time comes.

I have competed in (several) Ohio Star Balls, Nashville Starz, Chicago Crystal Ball, Manhattan, Connecticut & Twin Rivers. I also do exhibitions mostly in Latin, but an advanced Standard one this past February. My training has been in mostly NY @ Ballroom on Fifth & Columbus Ohio. My current coach is Joe Green (Shirley & Corky Ballas' old coach) who is from Indiana & will only work with whom he chooses. He has already proven himself & is a teacher of teachers.  I am lucky to work with him.  He is also my studio owners coach. I currently live in Columbus,OH which surprisingly has about 3 million people in and around the area. 

By day,I am a mild mannered Contracting Officer & work another job doing trade show events to pay for my dance training. I am a single parent w/ a 14 year old daughter & my mother helps out. I am also lucky to have her & a couple of other dear friends as my support system should I travel for business or competitions. It is nice to see a venue where people can discuss various aspects of dance.  Cheesy

My email address is kduroyparklane@ yahoo.com  & I am on Facebook as well.  Grin

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »

welcome again Smiley 

Most interested in your plans to go pro.  What are your goals - teaching? pro-comps?? Maybe open a studio?  I hope you will track the pursuit here since many people must be harbouring the same thought but are not sure how et traction or if it is realistic.

You've come to the right place if you are interested in what I would have to regard as the secrets of ballroom dance.  And why I say that will become apparent in due course...  But for now be aware that we have some very accomplished dancers and pros on PDO who pop in to keep us on track.  (I am really neither but another on the journey!!)
ee

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »

Welcome to all the new faces Smiley

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »

Always great to have new folks join up.
tendancegirl
Newcomer

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »

One of the reasons I would like to go pro is b/c I love dancing so much,that it would be the next step (at some point) in my dance journey. Most interested in pro-pro competition. I feel it would establish me as a dancer before doing any teaching or bringing an amateur to competition. I would want that "done that been there" experience under my belt before bringing a newbie competitor into the den of lions. Shocked
 As most of us know, Pro-am is very cutthroat,but those who are better funded are those who get to compete the most. Pro-am is the most expensive way to go. Even a mediochre pro can cost upwards of $2,000-$3000 per comp. Pick & choose wisely. In the big comps as I have found out, it depends on the credit your pro has built w/ the judges..so no one is naming names..we know.  Wink
 A smaller comp is a little more fair,but then one (who is well-funded but mediochre)  becomes a big fish in a little pond so the pro-am competitor may have a false sense of their real abilities. On the flipside, the truly talented dancer who is hard working & not so well-funded can be left out unless they are willing to put thousands on their credit cards. I pay as I go, so the dance journey may take longer, but won't owe thousands. I have seen low-level pros take a student to a comp b/c they are wanting to make money w/o consideration of a student's readiness, abililities or pocket book. This is very sad. Cry If & when I teach, I will not be taking someone to a comp before they are ready. It is a reflection of my work too & that kind of reputation won't serve me or anyone well. It takes the integrity out of the sport. I would want those dancing with me  in pro-am tell people about me only to say "she is fair, will make you work,but won't force you to a comp as she would want you ready first". The decision would be joint,not a "sales job". Pros do this with their coaches, pro-am people should have that latitude too. The good pros won't send you before you are ready..that matters.  It keeps the integrity in the sport & lets an amateur grow as a dancer, whatever their journey leads them to.  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

You might want to add some of that to our pro-am topics - and check out the search engine, its pretty good when you get used to it.

Lots of us have pro-am experience here - me included and understand exactly what you are talking about.  I've always seen two distinct pro-am groups - in essence the weekender and the serious competitor.  There are more of the former but the latter are just as dedicated and serious about dancesport as the AMs I've met. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »

Welcome TDG  look forward to reading more of your posts.

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: