partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 11:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Partnership age differences
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Partnership age differences  (Read 2768 times)
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »

my couple started up so that she could compete in syllabus and they have progressed.  Problem is the goals diverge...

Your couple? That sounds like an interesting story Grin.

Anyway, if the goals diverge, then it is time to say thank you and good bye, imho. I have seen many partnerships, without same goal/commitment, dragged on and made the couples miserable and frustrated. Better end it early when both still think nicely of each others.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »

Seen this happen many times.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 02:46:58 AM »

I think there's a potential for many complications that are unrelated to one partner or the other moving.  I agree with whoever said that shared goals are important.  But how realistic is it to expect a teenager for example) to share dance goals with a retiree?  Sure.  Theoretically, it could happen.  But does it, especially given the different levels of physical ability for each age group.

I don't want to sound like a smart a$$, but if they don't have the same dance goal, they shouldn't partner up at the first place. No?

Well, unless at the short run, their goals met - or at least each could offer something on the table.

No offense taken. Cool  In an ideal world, you may be right. But sometimes you have to take what you can get, partner-wise.  And sometimes, people grow and change.  My point is that,all other things being equal, a teen may very well be able to achieve higher levels and better results than a middle aged partner. So, even if they both start off at, say, syllabus, there may well come a time when the teen becomes dissatisfied by being constrained by a much-older partner's physical limitations.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »

my couple started up so that she could compete in syllabus and they have progressed.  Problem is the goals diverge...

Your couple? That sounds like an interesting story Grin.

Anyway, if the goals diverge, then it is time to say thank you and good bye, imho. I have seen many partnerships, without same goal/commitment, dragged on and made the couples miserable and frustrated. Better end it early when both still think nicely of each others.

Did you miss my message above?  I was referring to this post:
I know of one partnership between a late teen and a ~40yr old.  They both seem quite content.  Trouble is once they get of syllabus he is going to have to compete in the adult catagory - together with the career-track youngsters.  Not much of a prospect...

...hence 'my couple' as in 'the couple I was referring to'.  I hope thats clearer!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: