partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Location, Location
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Location, Location  (Read 506 times)
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« on: April 15, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »

How important is location to achieving your goals? I’ve read two sides of the story:

1)   Location is very important. In the context of dancing, I’ve heard that it’s beneficial to be exposed to high-level dancing and to have access to more resources (coaches, competitions, people looking for partners). I imagine that the exposure to levels of what you want to achieve will inspire you and help you make important connections to where you want to go.
2)   However, I’ve also heard that location is not so important. Some people move to the big city in hopes of “making it,” but they end up just being there - sometimes broke - and unable to take advantage of resources. Just because one is in a city of film-makers, for instance, doesn’t make him any more creative or able to start producing films than someone outside the city with a camera and a computer. Living somewhere cheaper may actually allow that person to have more resources than he would otherwise.

I see both sides of the story. I can see how just being somewhere can inspire a person and provide personal connections. I can also see how living somewhere without exposure to these things can do a person well too if they work hard. What is your take on this subject in relation to dancing?

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

Isuppose it depends on three factors: what your resources/talents are; what stage you are at and what you want to achieve.  If you have limited resources and prospects - you are far better off being hte big fish in the small pond.  If you are starting out - as long as there is a well trained teacher in your area you would do better to stay with them initially before making any moves.  however, as you advance in any art form almost everyone (theres always the genius exception Wink ) needs to move to where the training is going to take them to the next level.  You see it with the young stars: they start with local coaches, move to national ones and eventually they have to seek international training.  By the time you are a pro you may travel between continents for your regular training lesson.  The last factor is whet you want to achieve, and I think that speaks for itself from the above.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »

Good advice! Thanks!

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: