partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Dancesport organizations (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  OADA Ontario Amateur Dancesport Association
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: OADA Ontario Amateur Dancesport Association  (Read 4052 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:12:15 PM »

Yep, that is my next plan at the next meeting.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »

I wrote to the ODS president to ask - just waiting to hear back...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 12:57:55 AM »

I asked and he didn't know.  They decided that everyone would get rid of the amateur part.  He thinks it is because that other sports don't use amateur in their names.  Maybe has something to do with trying to get into the Olympics perhaps.  My guess, and only my guess is it is because some day they want to have umbrella organizations were Pros, Amateurs and Pro/Am will come under one name and have subcategories. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 06:21:08 AM »

I asked and he didn't know.  They decided that everyone would get rid of the amateur part.  He thinks it is because that other sports don't use amateur in their names.  Maybe has something to do with trying to get into the Olympics perhaps.  My guess, and only my guess is it is because some day they want to have umbrella organizations were Pros, Amateurs and Pro/Am will come under one name and have subcategories. 

Excuse me?  The president of the organization didn't know why the name of his organization changed?  Isn't that like a captain that does not know where his boat is going?

Then who the heck is 'they'?  And who should we ask?  Perhaps you could inquire...

It does explain, I guess, why I never got a reply to my letter either...

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »

Isn't this similar to USA Dance name change a few years back? They used to be called USABDA (United States Amateur Ballroom Dancers Association), now they're USA Dance. The name at least looks as if it applies to more dancers, even though the fact is that they're pretty much useless except for those who have an amateur partner to compete with.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »

So maybe its an international amateur dancesport plot!

Oh goodie - our own conspiracy theory...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »

Or perhaps its another attempt to make pro-ams pay fees...

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »

Or perhaps its another attempt to make pro-ams pay fees...
The irony is that I was a USA Dance member for a few years while we had a local chapter (I was one of the officers). The chapter formed to create opportunities for social dancing which were lacking at that time. But when the open socials market became saturated (we have a studio in town which has parties every week, so an extra dance social wasn't getting much attendance), the membership dwindled and we folded the chapter. I stopped renewing my membership, and every once in a while I get an e-mail from USA Dance asking me to renew. I'm not doing it, since the only benefit I would derive from it is their "American Dancer" magazine, and it is not worth the membership fee. The other two remaining officers (who are a married couple) kept their membership because they compete in USA Dance events every once in a while.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »

Isn't this similar to USA Dance name change a few years back? They used to be called USABDA (United States Amateur Ballroom Dancers Association), now they're USA Dance. The name at least looks as if it applies to more dancers, even though the fact is that they're pretty much useless except for those who have an amateur partner to compete with.

Yes, you are right.  The name changes are across the board for everywhere and that is why the U.S. changed.  It is from the very top (formerly IDSF now WDSF) and everyone is told to do it and not why, expect to say that they want the Amateur out.  I don't think anyone cares enough to really ask.  I think only the WDSF could give you the real answer. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 02:51:35 AM »

Yes, you are right.  The name changes are across the board for everywhere and that is why the U.S. changed.  It is from the very top (formerly IDSF now WDSF) and everyone is told to do it and not why, expect to say that they want the Amateur out.  I don't think anyone cares enough to really ask.  I think only the WDSF could give you the real answer. 

Eek.  Or should I say Euck.  Then that explains everything.  What we started with is obviously correct. 

Do we want a joint amateur/professional organization?  Who is going to represent amateurs if there is a dispute with professionals?  Does this open up an opportunity for a new organization to flourish?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 11:07:13 PM »

It could also be just an idea that goes nowhere.  It may also just be another way to make dancing look more appealing for the Olympics.  If they truley are taking out amateur because the other sports don't use it then trying to look more like a sport is the agenda with the Olympics the goal.  Man, they should give it a rest before dancing is completely ruined.  Instead of thinking that getting into the Olyimpics will help dancing flourish they should put their energy into how to make the politics go away and how to promote dancing through the organizations that already exiist.  Instead they put a strangle hold on the very people that are trying to promote dancing and kick the ass of those that compete and are try to control them to the point where people are left shaking their heads.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »

It could also be just an idea that goes nowhere.  It may also just be another way to make dancing look more appealing for the Olympics.  If they truley are taking out amateur because the other sports don't use it then trying to look more like a sport is the agenda with the Olympics the goal.  Man, they should give it a rest before dancing is completely ruined.  Instead of thinking that getting into the Olyimpics will help dancing flourish they should put their energy into how to make the politics go away and how to promote dancing through the organizations that already exiist.  Instead they put a strangle hold on the very people that are trying to promote dancing and kick the ass of those that compete and are try to control them to the point where people are left shaking their heads.

I know.  Have a campaign against corruption of all forms and present a united front.  Without that the olympics is not even going to think about it.  Curious how dancesport seems to attract so much factious competition...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

I find people will pee in the water to ruin it for everyone else, forgetting, or perhaps being too stupid to realiize, that they have to drink from that water too.  In the end everyone dies of thirst.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: