partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  dance lesson jerks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: dance lesson jerks  (Read 2500 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:08 AM »

I dance pro/am. My teacher is NEVER concerned with what people see OR hear. His favorite saying is " Be the illusionist - NOT the illusion". If people watchng and listening dont understand the theory, or the feeling---they will never get it.

Pardon?

[hehehehe...]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »

I dance pro/am. My teacher is NEVER concerned with what people see OR hear. His favorite saying is " Be the illusionist - NOT the illusion". If people watchng and listening dont understand the theory, or the feeling---they will never get it.
My teacher always says that we don't own the steps, someone else has already invented them.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »

My teacher always says that we don't own the steps, someone else has already invented them.
So he teaches for free? Roll Eyes Tongue

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »

It's not the steps, it's how you do them.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 02:17:56 AM »

indeed.... Smiley

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »

a tango teacher I know has a "shallow" end where people can watch and try out stuff in a higher level  class, but without participating or getting attention....

me i would throw them in the deep end (of the shark pool)

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »

a tango teacher I know has a "shallow" end where people can watch and try out stuff in a higher level  class, but without participating or getting attention....

[Did you miss the competetive AT discussion?  I suspect your sharks might be in danger of dying from over eating...]

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »

[Did you miss the competetive AT discussion?  I suspect your sharks might be in danger of dying from over eating...]

I have noticed that most AT discussions are pretty competetitive

but i think yes i did

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »

but i think yes i did

Oh, then you seem rather more calm about it than I expected...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »

a tango teacher I know has a "shallow" end where people can watch and try out stuff in a higher level  class, but without participating or getting attention....

[Did you miss the competetive AT discussion?  I suspect your sharks might be in danger of dying from over eating...]

but i think yes i did

Oh, then you seem rather more calm about it than I expected...
ah but i'm saying yes i did miss it, but i'm relatively calm. Some one pulled in front of me in the queue for petrol. so I asked the driver politley to move and they did.

[I hope I corrected the quote and answer correctly]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:38:48 PM by elisedance » Logged

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »

I was one - only once though!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »

I was one - only once though!
Shocked

Its OK, we can all do it once ... Grin

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »

What?  Be a jerk?

I think that seeing something and trying it out on the spot in inevitable, once in a while.  Something will just click for you and you'll have to try it.  I would only have a problem with lesson-copying if it became habitual.

I also think that ttd's teacher was onto something. Nobody owns the dance patterns.  I also like what someone else (Some guy?) said about it being difficult to copy someone else's lesson, since (hopefully) the lesson is customized to each student's needs.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »

I also think that ttd's teacher was onto something. Nobody owns the dance patterns.  I also like what someone else (Some guy?) said about it being difficult to copy someone else's lesson, since (hopefully) the lesson is customized to each student's needs.
perhaps - but it just bugs me when people are taking something thats not theirs.
but its probably more my problem than theirs!

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »

Heh. I think you are absolutely right.  It is rude.  Not much I  can do about,though, so I don't stress over it. If I did,they'd have my lesson material and my peace of mind. This way, all they have is their interpretation of what the teacher told me for me.

May they choke on enjoy  it.  lol.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: