partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116184 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  dance lesson jerks
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: dance lesson jerks  (Read 2218 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »

Can't think of a better term for this topic.  Its 'inspired' by an actual event at our last lesson.  We were working on tango when I noticed a couple (who were actually waiting for their lesson) standing within earshot.  Each time our teacher told us how to do something - whatcha know, they discussed it and tried it out themselves.  I couldn't believe it: they had the gall to stand there and take our lesson.  If I had not been held back I would have gone over and asked them for half the lesson fee.

What would you do - and do you have any similiar experiences?  I hope not...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »

It's a bit cheeky, isn't it?

At Toronto ballroom I've seen the same thing. The teachers are quite savvy though, they will either take us to another part of the room, speak sotto voice or else directly tell the culprits to practice in the other room.

When I'm training in a room where lessons are going on I try to be quite focussed and deliberately not listen to the teachers instruct the students.

It is rude. I would probably have said something to the couple.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »

We had this happen too.  They would actually stand out on the floor and watch, then try it out, then watch some more, then try it out.  A few competitions later lo and behold they are doing the whole half side we were developing and working on.  The worse part is that they are our fellow competitors!  We changed it and decided if they are that hard up for choreo they can have it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:38:46 PM by Rugby » Logged

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »

The other trick is to leave a video camera on.  I wonder how many people do this for free training time...

Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:13:45 AM »

I might be guilty of this  Embarrassed

Sometimes you can't help but overhear useful bits of information, and try it out on the spot.

I wouldn't follow a couple deliberately for the sake of a free lesson, but I do enjoy watching others have their lessons. And, as a result, sometimes pick up useful bits and pieces...

To thy self dance true --elisedance
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »

Sometimes you can't help but overhear useful bits of information, and try it out on the spot.

I wouldn't follow a couple deliberately for the sake of a free lesson, but I do enjoy watching others have their lessons. And, as a result, sometimes pick up useful bits and pieces...

has noone mentioned anything?  I suppose it would be polite to ask - but you already know what the teacher would say ...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »

I don't mind people watching our lesson and I often like watching people in theirs to see how they have progressed.  I don't think of using it as an opporunity to learn on their dime though.  It helps me understand how different teachers cope with the same problem and how students realte to how each teacher shows them.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »

I don't mind people watching our lesson and I often like watching people in theirs to see how they have progressed.  I don't think of using it as an opporunity to learn on their dime though.  It helps me understand how different teachers cope with the same problem and how students realte to how each teacher shows them.

watching and admiring is one thing - and much appreciated to be honest - but mirroring the lesson a few feet away is surely beyond the pale...

Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:48:02 PM »

has noone mentioned anything?  I suppose it would be polite to ask - but you already know what the teacher would say ...

It doesn't happen that often, and I wouldn't practice full out what I have just overheard. As I said, I don't do this on purpose, but once you hear something, you can't unhear it.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »

I've had this happen, an am/am couple watched my (pro/am) lessons for a couple weeks and I didn't really pay much attention... a few weeks later I came in early and saw them practice... they had copied (step-for-step) entire sections of ours...

I was irritated by it at first, but they butchered it so badly, you could hardly tell it was the same... I might not even have noticed if it weren't EXACTLY the same.

The lady isn't very nice and is kind of a diva.... I just let it go, it wasn't really worth it..

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »

I've had this happen, an am/am couple watched my (pro/am) lessons for a couple weeks and I didn't really pay much attention... a few weeks later I came in early and saw them practice... they had copied (step-for-step) entire sections of ours...

I was irritated by it at first, but they butchered it so badly, you could hardly tell it was the same... I might not even have noticed if it weren't EXACTLY the same.

The lady isn't very nice and is kind of a diva.... I just let it go, it wasn't really worth it..

I suppose thats the important point - one can copy steps and generalities but without interacting with the teacher you are almost bound to get something wrong.  Of course thats not true of advanced dancers who are aping routines - but generally they either don't need to or they can get much better material off, say, a DVD (where they also get to review it over and over).

But good on you just brushing it off.  Its too easy to get angry and thats self defeating (which is advice I need to give to myself!)

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »

The video camera is certainly an issue.

My last time in England I was surprised to see those CCTV camera's everywhere, on every street corner. I keep trying to have my friend send me video of her dancing but videoing anything in England is such a no no now that she can't get it done. If there's anyone else in the room someone objects. She sent me a click from her Blackpool competition a week ago and you can hear ppl yelling NO VIDEOTAPING NO VIDEOTAPING!

There is a couple who set up a camera before our lessons at viva and I often wondered if they were also taping our lesson. But it's stationary.  I do tape our lessons and i can tell you it's hard enough getting a good video to demonstrate even when you follow the couple around and they are deliverately showing you the moves.

And the bottom line is that often the teacher is correcting our mistakes. They are not the same mistakes someone else might make so are somewhat redundant. I don't you you can eat off someone else's plate in this regard. What you learn in lessons someone else would be hard put to do. Only if they have your talent, persevereence, willingness to practice etc will they achieve the same results.

That being said, like anything else, someone is always looking for a short cut and willing to cheat to get there. And as much as I watch So You Think You Can Dance and may try to scarf their moves, somehow it never looks quite the same LOL

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »

There used to be a couple that blatantly used to follow us around the room and basically take the lesson with us.  It was embarrassing, for them.  Everyone saw it and thought it was in very poor taste.  Our coach at the time wised up to it and moved around the room or spoke very quietly to avoid them from listening in.  Personally, I don't mind.  My current coach is very aware of what others are doing, and if it's something that she knows they won't get (without the pre-requisite sub text) she makes no attempt to keep it quiet.  What she says comes so far out of left field that people don't know what to do with of think of the information. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »

There used to be a couple that blatantly used to follow us around the room and basically take the lesson with us.  It was embarrassing, for them.  Everyone saw it and thought it was in very poor taste.  Our coach at the time wised up to it and moved around the room or spoke very quietly to avoid them from listening in.  Personally, I don't mind.  My current coach is very aware of what others are doing, and if it's something that she knows they won't get (without the pre-requisite sub text) she makes no attempt to keep it quiet.  What she says comes so far out of left field that people don't know what to do with of think of the information. Smiley

that generats such a wonderful mental image - you guys dancing like a dream - trailed by a couple that look like quasimodo and the wicked witch of the west

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:15 AM »

I dance pro/am. My teacher is NEVER concerned with what people see OR hear. His favorite saying is " Be the illusionist - NOT the illusion". If people watchng and listening dont understand the theory, or the feeling---they will never get it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: