partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:20:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  technique vs. expression
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: technique vs. expression  (Read 5752 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:25 AM »

I agree, change is not easy.  After the change 'though, it becomes really easy.  That's what I meant.
I got it and agree with you entirely! Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

For example, we've discussed extensively here how bad it is to 'bend to move' vs 'move to bend' but many dancers who learn the former (which can be harmful to your body) simply can not switch to the former.

Maybe some dancers wouldn't care to switch. I think I see a number of top std dancers using "bend to move" technique. Perhaps they know how to do so without bad effects and it's an artistic choice on their part. :-)

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »

After the change 'though, it becomes really easy.  That's what I meant.

I'm surprised that you are so knowledgeable on the subject Roll Eyes
Tongue Tongue

Tongue
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

Maybe some dancers wouldn't care to switch. I think I see a number of top std dancers using "bend to move" technique. Perhaps they know how to do so without bad effects and it's an artistic choice on their part. :-)
It's possible.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

For example, we've discussed extensively here how bad it is to 'bend to move' vs 'move to bend' but many dancers who learn the former (which can be harmful to your body) simply can not switch to the former.

Could be.  I suppose what we need is a survey to compare the duration of dance careers with different dance methods.  hard to do but it might save a lot of knees...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »

Could be.  I suppose what we need is a survey to compare the duration of dance careers with different dance methods.  hard to do but it might save a lot of knees...

Don't know if you'd be able to get a survey, but I think most top pro dancers using either technique have been doing so for 20 years or longer. It would be interesting if could get opinions of different pros on this subject. I know and respect DSV's opinion on this. :-)

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »

Don't know if you'd be able to get a survey, but I think most top pro dancers using either technique have been doing so for 20 years or longer. It would be interesting if could get opinions of different pros on this subject. I know and respect DSV's opinion on this. :-)
Thats a good point on the 20+ year pros!  Its probably also important to look at what they really do, rather than what they say they do.  The difference between the two is rather subtle and a lower to move could include a bit of move to lower.

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »

Thats a good point on the 20+ year pros!  Its probably also important to look at what they really do, rather than what they say they do.  The difference between the two is rather subtle and a lower to move could include a bit of move to lower.

Yeah, after reading these posts I relooked at some video of A + K from last year's OSB and looked to me like doing a bit of both. I ran video in slow motion so can see better what's going on. Seems like using one or other technique depending upon step. At least that's what I thought. :-)

A.S.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »

Its probably also important to look at what they really do, rather than what they say they do.  The difference between the two is rather subtle and a lower to move could include a bit of move to lower.
That's an incredibly good point you make Elise.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »

You don't think about how to press the pedal or turn the wheel when you drive a car anymore do you?  But I bet you did when you were learning....

ITS FUnny you should say that but my driving home after dancing last night was more flowing....I wanted to go round bends with the same grace as i was dancing....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »

Great topic.

I think that dance is a lot like math.  You work hard on the building blocks until you get to the point where the building blocks are a part of you and you rarely have to think about them anymore.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »

Great topic.

I think that dance is a lot like math.  You work hard on the building blocks until you get to the point where the building blocks are a part of you and you rarely have to think about them anymore.
You put that well - and its true of any art.  The more you can make technique a natural part of you, the freer and more interesting the art can be.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: