partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 10:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Dance movies
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dance movies  (Read 727 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« on: April 06, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

Did we have a thread about dance movies?

I finally got to see Black Swan. While it's not quite a movie about ballet, it's really a psychological drama, and definitely not a movie about ballroom, there is still something to relate to for dancers.

My favorite quote from it "You could be brilliant if you weren't so obsessed with your technique" or something like that.

********************** spoiler alert ***********************

The main character, Nina, has been selected to dance the swan queen, and she's having trouble with the Black Swan portion of that part. She's all so sweet, light and perfect, and black swan is supposed to be aggressive and evil. It doesn't help that she lacks personality and is still tied to her mom's apron strings. At a few points in the movie the director tells her that she is too focused on getting everything technically correct and thus her dancing is frigid, it lacks strength needed for black swan character. She needs to be seductive and assertive, and she just can't seem to produce it in her dancing.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:23:01 AM »

I have heard good things about the movie but yet to see it, Mao last dancer is also suppose to be good and I have yet to see that one.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

I think the idea that at some point you can stop obsessing over technical details and just dance would make a good discussion topic, but I don't know how to put it yet.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

You can put the new topic in the light of, "Which comes first: dancing or technique?".  I used to think technique used to come first.  Little did I realize that dancing was the main point, and the technique will correct itself once the dancing is corrected. 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:46 AM »

Has any one see the new movie about Slavik? I believe it has been released but yet to find a copy?

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, although I seem to remember having heard about it playing at an art house near here recently.  The movie also has a facebook page where you can supposedly stream the video, if you allow the app access to your public profile.  I didn't try that, so I'm not sure if/how it works.

I've heard from others who have seen the film that it gives an unvarnished, somewhat ... sad .. impression of Slavik.  It's mostly  unscripted film footage of real life, after all.  I don't want to go too far because I'm really just reporting recollections of what other people said, but apparently, the film was not entirely flattering to Slavik.  I remember comments about his partnership upheavals and about his trying to regain former competitive successes. 

I would like to see the movie, though.  It's not available on the streaming video service I use, so  I'd have to buy it to see it.  Maybe I will try that facebook app, after all.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 06:01:10 AM »

I have heard mixed results and I think I sa something recently on facebook where he did a woas me....so maybe still looking for a partner to receive the heights of the dancing world.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »

Any new dance movies coming out? I tried googling it just got a list of the *lame* movies of recent years.

Classics/my faves:
Shall We Dance (Both Japanese and American versions)
Step Up (1 -- please do not associate me with the sad,sad sequels)
Billy Elliott
Save the Last  Dance
Strictly Ballroom
Take the Lead
Mad Hot Ballroom

in no particular order...

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:16:11 AM »

Any new dance movies coming out? I tried googling it just got a list of the *lame* movies of recent years.

Classics/my faves:
Shall We Dance (Both Japanese and American versions)
Step Up (1 -- please do not associate me with the sad,sad sequels)
Billy Elliott
Save the Last  Dance
Strictly Ballroom
Take the Lead
Mad Hot Ballroom

in no particular order...

All good although I have not watch step it up.....

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »

Step Up is a guilty pleasure -- really light on the plot while heavy on cliches-- and not a ballroom movie.   i liked it anyway.    Embarrassed Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:11 AM »

Step Up is a guilty pleasure -- really light on the plot while heavy on cliches-- and not a ballroom movie.   i liked it anyway.    Embarrassed Smiley

well glad to hear does not matter that it is not ballroom Cheesy

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »

I'm a sucker for pretty much any dance movie.  Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: