partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  which is harder standard or latin?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: which is harder standard or latin?  (Read 1840 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: March 31, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »

OK, so I'm being provocative - but there is a purpose, to contrast the advantages and challenges of each style.
[I focuseed just on the international styles to keep the question simple and because they contrast more than, say, smooth/rhythm]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:24:10 AM »

I think both are hard. I have been doing a bit of latin although my leg does not like it much. we are doing jive at the moment and that is really tricky find it too jarring... my leg just does not have the spring required. Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:35:05 AM »

I think both are hard. I have been doing a bit of latin although my leg does not like it much. we are doing jive at the moment and that is really tricky find it too jarring... my leg just does not have the spring required. Undecided

...which is why I stopped doing latin, too hard on my hips.  I found it easier to follow though, you do more on your own and with less possible points of contact/communication there was less to read.  However, I must add I never took it to any hights (intermediate syllabus level only).

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »

Officially? Both. Personally? Latin.

I am not a natural dancer - the whole moving your body and your arms did not make any sense to me for a very long time.

For standard, if you have a good movement, and a ok frame/poisture (In fact, for the beginners, it is best to keep it solid - or the same shape, IMHO), then it will look quite pleasant.

For latin, I need an good movement, and good body/arms movement to start to look pleasant.

Maybe it has something to do with the way we are trained - for both style, we are trained "bottom up." We started with feet, ankle, legs. So for a very long while, our upper body will probably look quite stiff (at least nothing happening there) in latin, and it looks quite boring, to be honest.

Oh, and the turing out of your feet "showing your heel," took me a lot of time, and am still working on it.

p.s. Though I have to say, Ice cream is REALLY tempting =DDDDD
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »

...which is why I stopped doing latin, too hard on my hips.  I found it easier to follow though, you do more on your own and with less possible points of contact/communication there was less to read.  However, I must add I never took it to any hights (intermediate syllabus level only).

Interesting, I think it is in fact Standard causing me some knee pain - and that is why I think I am doing something funky (but then for guys, we don't do as much as girls in latin).

I am also quite curious, I would imagine, having more contact points would make gals following easier, right? (since more info provided)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »

Interesting, I think it is in fact Standard causing me some knee pain - and that is why I think I am doing something funky (but then for guys, we don't do as much as girls in latin).

I am also quite curious, I would imagine, having more contact points would make gals following easier, right? (since more info provided)

I suppose it depends on whether you prefer to play the flute or the piano ...
Wink

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:31:31 PM »

Quick sidebar, millitiz, if it hurts, it's wrong, no matter how much your teacher tells you otherwise and gives you reasons that sound totally logical.  I've met with teachers from Round and Body Schools and they both firmly agree that ballroom dancing is supposed to be pain free, right from the get go.  People with bad knees actually get INTO ballroom dancing because they can't do other sports and ballroom dancing actually heals bad knees.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:18:01 AM »

SG I agree with you, if it hurts don’t do it and find out why. we have a style here called NV and one dance requires you to move backwards but facing ALOD, when I turned I could feel discomfort and then realised the foot position was wrong.

If you are in correct alignment you should not have discomfort. With my bad leg most people tell me when I get off the floor that they could not notice which is my bad leg!  It is now walking that causes me the most issues.

But I still the think  both styles are as hard as each other.  Cheesy  Grin

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »

Quick sidebar, millitiz, if it hurts, it's wrong, no matter how much your teacher tells you otherwise and gives you reasons that sound totally logical.  I've met with teachers from Round and Body Schools and they both firmly agree that ballroom dancing is supposed to be pain free, right from the get go.  People with bad knees actually get INTO ballroom dancing because they can't do other sports and ballroom dancing actually heals bad knees.

Millitz - look up the 'move to lower' and lower to move' debate here on PDO.  You may find the answer to your knee pain there.

Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »

Interesting question. I find Latin to be more challenging on emotional level. I just don't have a 'Latin' personality. I think I can grasp the mechanics of movement quite easily, but putting it to practice is a struggle, my head keeps getting in a way. Every time I feel I'm about to do something out of my comfort zone, I tense up and close up. I feel that if I can only get over my head, Latin would be a breeze  Grin  (hoping).

Standard feels much more natural to dance so it feels easier, but I suspect that's partly because we haven't focused much on mechanics, yet.

I feel that, in theory, as long as you understand the logic and mechanics of each movement, both styles should be easy. In practice, the head always gets in a way, so the learning process gets complicated. And whichever style is easier or harder will probably depend on where the dancing person's head is at.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »

Interesting question. I find Latin to be more challenging on emotional level. I just don't have a 'Latin' personality. I think I can grasp the mechanics of movement quite easily, but putting it to practice is a struggle, my head keeps getting in a way. Every time I feel I'm about to do something out of my comfort zone, I tense up and close up. I feel that if I can only get over my head, Latin would be a breeze  Grin  (hoping).

Standard feels much more natural to dance so it feels easier, but I suspect that's partly because we haven't focused much on mechanics, yet.

I feel that, in theory, as long as you understand the logic and mechanics of each movement, both styles should be easy. In practice, the head always gets in a way, so the learning process gets complicated. And whichever style is easier or harder will probably depend on where the dancing person's head is at.

Hold it!  You don't have to go that route.  The secret to dancing is to know that it really is easy - that is whe you feel its easy, it really is.  The mechanics may get in the way (sometimes we have to develop better flexion or more muscle tone) but it should always feel mentally easy.  The sad thing is that most couples learn first of all that ballroom is hard and if you approach it from that perspective it will be - as will anything else.  Tell a child that swimming is hard and lo!  it is.  If you instead throw them in a pool (I've seen this done) - they swim without ever learning how, because they never were taught to fear it.  Same is true of dancing.

The thing that is really hard is to accept that making mistakes is a normal part of learning.  Mistakes ARE learning - I often say to my (research) students that only when you have made every mistake possible do you actually know the method - so go ahead and make them!  I'm sure the same is true of dancing.  Go blindly to find your destination and you will eventually not only find it but you will learn how to find it under any circumstances.  Go with a GPS you may get there but you will still have no clue how...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »

I KNOW the question is  - "Which is harder, standard or latin?".  Has anyone considered the fact that smooth requires you to dance both at the same time?

But answer the original question ---standard is harder!
samina
Silver

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:42:47 PM »

i'd say they each have their unique challenges. and while i like the notion that dance is supposed to be easy and natural, i think the reality is that it can be hard for each individual not just in how they are *doing* it, but also how they are *being* it. wherever their unique challenges are that create resistance or distortions to what is natural, it's going to be uniquely hard.

and as standard, latin, and smooth each have their specialties in what they activate in the body-mind system, the different styles may feel harder or easier to different people depending upon what their own personal challenges & limitations are.

them's my thoughts on it. i've had challenges with all of it...some of it in the "doing", most of it in the "being". Cheesy

standard used to just "rip my body apart"...that's how it felt. it did not feel good. it only started to feel really good, free, and light, and like *dancing* at my last comp. latin...i needed a lot of work to free resistance in my body before i could "let'er rip", otherwise i would have injured myself heartily. no matter how i "did" it. and there were injuries/sorenesses that each was inclined to bring out in my body while i worked through all that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:59:41 PM by samina » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:36:51 AM »

I KNOW the question is  - "Which is harder, standard or latin?".  Has anyone considered the fact that smooth requires you to dance both at the same time?

But answer the original question ---standard is harder!

we have the same in New Vogue....and I find that harder than our standard. as you have to have symmetry apart!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »

Ah, spoken as a true standard dancer .... If you were trained in latin first I wonder if you would have the opposite opinion?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: