partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 03:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Gabrielle Roth dance philosopy
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gabrielle Roth dance philosopy  (Read 676 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« on: May 12, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »

The five rhythms, when danced in sequence, are known as a "Wave."

the five rhythms (in order) are:

flowing
staccato
chaos
lyrical
stillness

5RhythmsTM is a movement meditation practice devised by Gabrielle Roth in the 1960s. It draws from many indigenous and world traditions using tenets of shamanistic, ecstatic, mystical and eastern philosophy. It also draws from Gestalt, the human potential movement and transpersonal psychology.[1] Fundamental to the practice is the idea that everything is energy, and moves in waves, patterns and rhythms. Roth describes the practice as a soul journey, and says that by moving the body, releasing the heart, and freeing the mind, one can connect to the essence of the soul, the source of inspiration in which an individual has unlimited possibility and potential.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:32:55 PM by elisedance » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »

Wow!  Love it!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:34:52 PM by elisedance » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »

sounds very interesting.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:35:05 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
CANI
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

It does sound interesting!!  The Dance to your Maximum book talks about Gabrielle Roth's work and mentions some CDs (I think called "Initiation" and "The mirrors", but I'm not sure) and some books (Maps to Ecstasy; Sweat Your Prayers).  Do you have a particular book or resource of her work that you would recommend, Bordertangoman, re her Five Rhythm Dancing concept?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:35:22 PM by elisedance » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:26 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bddBzieMiWk&feature=related

Gabrielle Roth
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:35:35 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
CANI
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »

Thanks, QPO.  The Dance to Your Maximum book talked about using this as a warm-up AND as a way to explore and find your own personal rhythm (if I recall correctly!).

This video seems to give an idea of what I at least thought the book spoke about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMdlKWaEEY

Her web-site has some interesting discussions/resources/videos: www.gabrielleroth.com

If I explore her work more (or if others do and have an interest in it) I'll come back and share more (in a dedicated thread or wherever else might be appropriate). Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:35:48 PM by elisedance » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »

I think I have one of Gabrielle Roth's ecstatic dance vids around somewhere... will have to look and see if they made it through The Purge of Stuff a couple years ago, when I got rid of of most of my VHS tapes.

She never rocked my world, but I shall take another look-see on your recommendation, BTM. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: