partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 11:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  What do you say to your partner before competing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What do you say to your partner before competing?  (Read 3273 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »

"Do you feel lucky? well do you?"

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »

For our first comp together, I actually had a mental war - just whether to say anything to my partner. Because on one hand, I personally had this meditation, ritual, you may say, to focus myself. To concentrate myself. And I don't typically like talking during that stage. On the other hand, saying some encouragement, helping her seems to be something nice to do. Another reason was back then, my partner and I read "Maximize your Dance" (or something like that, couldn't remember the book title), and it said that right between dancing, you could/should focus on only one aspect/word of the dancing. That will help you focus. So I remembered our first comp, I told my partner what I would like to concentrate on for each rounds (frame, movement, just have fun, etc). And after the comp, she said that it helped her to actually focus. (whew~). Then the next comp, I thought, well, if it worked the first time, it probably would work the second time...when I told her, she gave me the look - so I never said any similar things anymore.

I think lately I normally gave a squeeze - though mostly right after the dancing, when we got off the floor. I mean, her hand normally was out of my reach for most of the time. That, or I have to grab her hand to squeeze it, and I have the feeling that she would punch me if I do that...

I also say something like "we will do great," "we are awesome" etc. Though I am not entirely sure if I say it for her or for myself.

Actually, for the lady, do you prefer us to say something? Or really just shut our mouth up and mind our own business?
Lovely!  Nice to hear you men are as sensitive as we are Wink  We like to pretend of course that you are not - but sure and confident.

Most of all I want to hear from mypartner that he is looking forward to dancing with me.  Its a major - maybe the major reason for me to dance, the sensation of being needed.  Obviously not ubiquitous but ts as much a female trait as any...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »

I think my DP was going to post "Don't f*** up" but he knows that even though we live an hour and a half apart I'm a fast driver and I know kung fu so he thought twice!!

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »

I think my DP was going to post "Don't f*** up" but he knows that even though we live an hour and a half apart I'm a fast driver and I know kung fu so he thought twice!!
And I think you have a very wise DP  Grin Wink
drj
Bronze

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

My instructor says, "Good luck." He started saying it at our most recent competition.

And how does that make you feel? 

I'm not sure that would be that reassuring - thats fine from a friend but from my partner?  I'd rather things depended on skill than luck...

He has enough confidence in my skill not to worry about it (or else he's a SPECTACULARLY talented liar). So I was glad to accept the good luck wish. Until now. Thanks for the cheery thought, Elise.  Angry

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »

My instructor says, "Good luck." He started saying it at our most recent competition.

And how does that make you feel? 

I'm not sure that would be that reassuring - thats fine from a friend but from my partner?  I'd rather things depended on skill than luck...

He has enough confidence in my skill not to worry about it (or else he's a SPECTACULARLY talented liar). So I was glad to accept the good luck wish. Until now. Thanks for the cheery thought, Elise.  Angry

Anytime Grin

It just occurred to me that perhaps the best way to find out what you should say to your partner is to ask him/her!  Funny how the obvious is often the last idea...

So I tried this and it turns out that 'not very much' is the way to go.  Now I wish he would ask me Undecided Tongue

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

the Green Knight approach..

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »

the Green Knight approach..
..which is?...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »

part of Sir Gawain's story...
Gawain was proper as always, gentle and courteous. The old witch put her worst manners on display. She ate with her hands, belched and farted, and made everyone uncomfortable. The wedding night approached: Gawain, steeling himself for a horrific night, entered the bedroom. What a sight awaited! The most beautiful woman heíd ever seen lay before him! Gawain was astounded and asked what had happened.

The beauty replied that since he had been so kind to her (when sheíd been a witch), half the time she would be her horrible, deformed self, and the other half, she would be her beautiful maiden self. Which would he want her to be during the day and which during the night? What a cruel question!

Gawain began to think of his predicament: During the day a beautiful woman to show off to his friends, but at night, in the privacy of his home, an old spooky witch? Or would he prefer having by day a hideous witch, but by night a beautiful woman to enjoy many intimate moments? What would you do? What Gawain chose follows below.

Noble Gawain replied that he would let her choose for herself. Upon hearing this, she announced that she would be beautiful all the time, because he had respected her and had let her be in charge of her own life.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »

Gawain was proper as always, gentle and courteous. The old witch put her worst manners on display. She ate with her hands, belched and farted, and made everyone uncomfortable. The wedding night approached: Gawain, steeling himself for a horrific night, entered the bedroom. What a sight awaited! The most beautiful woman heíd ever seen lay before him! Gawain was astounded and asked what had happened.

The beauty replied that since he had been so kind to her (when sheíd been a witch), half the time she would be her horrible, deformed self, and the other half, she would be her beautiful maiden self. Which would he want her to be during the day and which during the night? What a cruel question!

Gawain began to think of his predicament: During the day a beautiful woman to show off to his friends, but at night, in the privacy of his home, an old spooky witch? Or would he prefer having by day a hideous witch, but by night a beautiful woman to enjoy many intimate moments? What would you do? What Gawain chose follows below.

Noble Gawain replied that he would let her choose for herself. Upon hearing this, she announced that she would be beautiful all the time, because he had respected her and had let her be in charge of her own life.

And that has made my day, green knight....
Funny to think that we think we invented women's rights - they were there all along... (supposing of course that this really is an old tale)...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:16 AM »

Funny to think that we think we invented women's rights - they were there all along... (supposing of course that this really is an old tale)...

ITS CHIVALRY

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »

ITS CHIVALRY

I don't see it that way.  Chivalry is patronizing, the man yeilds his power to the woman - but its still his power to yeild.  Its respect, the man cedes his power to the woman - thats quite a different world and what equal rights was all about.  And thats what was so wonderful about the above story.  He did not say he would adopt whatever choice she made (which means he would enact what her request was - chivalry) he said he would abide by her decision - so it was her power not his.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 06:07:46 AM »

i think you're splitting hares..E-D

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »

...and I think you're a welsh border rarebit... but sowhat  Tongue Cheesy

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

We used to remind each other that we were on the same team and that the competion was just a test run of what we had practiced.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: