partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:07:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  What do you say to your partner before competing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: What do you say to your partner before competing?  (Read 3020 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »

We've discussed 'internal conversations' but what do you say to your partner?  Do you offer suggestions, encouragements, warning?  I think I've done all three at different times but not much seems to work - indeed there are potentially dangerous side effects...

Anyone have The Right Thing to say?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »

If your partner is anything like me I prefer a little quiet time just before we hit the floor.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »

Thats me too - but a quiet time does not preclude a word or two.  I think I want to hear something to the effect that we are a team.  To be honest I've tried a variety of approaches with my DP - but none of them have worked. 

I guess my real question is what does the girl say to the guy?  What does he want to hear?

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »

He has alot of work to do---and is probaby just focusing---maybe a squeeze of the hand and a smile in the ondeck area?
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »

I have squeezed his hand and smile. Seems to work  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

He has alot of work to do---and is probaby just focusing---maybe a squeeze of the hand and a smile in the ondeck area?
I have squeezed his hand and smile. Seems to work  Smiley

Great partners squeeze alike Cheesy

I do usually do that.  What I'd like to do is to make him feel good about his dancing, really make sure he does not think I doubt him in any way.  Obviously, trying to help an be sabotage since that comes accross as a lack of faith.  However, being cavalier might also work badly. The sensible part of me reminds me that there is nothing much you can do at that moment but the emotional part of me does not listen and wants to do something.  Perhaps I should say 'wanna go for a drink after?' Grin

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »

I want my DP to know that no matter what happens it doesn't matter because I would rather lose with him than win with somebody else.  I am grateful for what he can do and not what he can't and I want him to realize that.  No pressure, it is what it is and let's have a good time.  At least that is how I feel, I'm not sure how he feels back.   

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »

I want my DP to know that no matter what happens it doesn't matter because I would rather lose with him than win with somebody else. 

My DP will read that comment as:

'We are not good enough to win this time.'

Tried that once and he kicked a tanty just before the comp. Nope squeeze and smile works better for me any day lol ! Depends on your DP I guess. Mine tends to ready everything negative and turn super sensitive and defensive before comps !

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 02:05:30 AM »

I want my DP to know that no matter what happens it doesn't matter because I would rather lose with him than win with somebody else. 

My DP will read that comment as:

'We are not good enough to win this time.'

Tried that once and he kicked a tanty just before the comp. Nope squeeze and smile works better for me any day lol ! Depends on your DP I guess. Mine tends to ready everything negative and turn super sensitive and defensive before comps !

Yes, this is obviously a personalized subject - one mans boost is another mans inhibitor!  Grin

Interesting that no guys have commented here yet - do they ever worry if WE are going to be OK or need encouragement?

drj
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 06:56:05 AM »

My instructor says, "Good luck." He started saying it at our most recent competition.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »

My instructor says, "Good luck." He started saying it at our most recent competition.

And how does that make you feel? 

I'm not sure that would be that reassuring - thats fine from a friend but from my partner?  I'd rather things depended on skill than luck...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »

Our coach doe not say anything as he is often judging..... but something go out and give it your best might be better!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »

Our coach doe not say anything as he is often judging..... but something go out and give it your best might be better!
?  Your coach is your partner Huh

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 01:19:50 AM »

For our first comp together, I actually had a mental war - just whether to say anything to my partner. Because on one hand, I personally had this meditation, ritual, you may say, to focus myself. To concentrate myself. And I don't typically like talking during that stage. On the other hand, saying some encouragement, helping her seems to be something nice to do. Another reason was back then, my partner and I read "Maximize your Dance" (or something like that, couldn't remember the book title), and it said that right between dancing, you could/should focus on only one aspect/word of the dancing. That will help you focus. So I remembered our first comp, I told my partner what I would like to concentrate on for each rounds (frame, movement, just have fun, etc). And after the comp, she said that it helped her to actually focus. (whew~). Then the next comp, I thought, well, if it worked the first time, it probably would work the second time...when I told her, she gave me the look - so I never said any similar things anymore.

I think lately I normally gave a squeeze - though mostly right after the dancing, when we got off the floor. I mean, her hand normally was out of my reach for most of the time. That, or I have to grab her hand to squeeze it, and I have the feeling that she would punch me if I do that...

I also say something like "we will do great," "we are awesome" etc. Though I am not entirely sure if I say it for her or for myself.

Actually, for the lady, do you prefer us to say something? Or really just shut our mouth up and mind our own business?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:22:35 AM by millitiz » Logged
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:49 AM »

my quote refers to the one below in which you commented from DRJ about his instructor...definately my instructor is not my partner.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: